Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Or 2 bolts and 8 washers.
One thing I've noticed is that the expansion has brought the tank just about to the steering limit.
I pray that nobody gets hurt because of this. Isn't there something we can do to get the issue resolved BEFORE that? Along with this site, keep pounding DNA with complaints and issues. I don't want to give them a bad time, but this is gonna get REAL bad soon.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
calm down, brooksie. :cool:

who needs so much steering angle anyway ? :cool:

no, i am serious, this is sure a defect, but you
guys should take it easy, or as a men at least.

get some washers and space out the brackets,
what is the problem anyway.

i mean, you have just entered the huge red ducati
church, now that you have noticed a little spot on
the high-priest's wardrobe, stop crying about it,
that the others can go on with their worshipping.

:cool:

you should read in the old cycle world magazines,
about the issues cook and spalding hat with their
machine, to notice, that nothing has changed basicly.

get that thing tuned and trash the fuck out of it,
but do me one favour in between: stop crying
about it, as this is the most beautyful thing you
will ever come across.

you guys should be more grateful, that you have
the opportunity to buy such a great machine, and
should stop crying about these minor issues.

nothin' is leakin', nobody got hurt so far, so what
the fuck.

·
Registered
674 Posts
you dont want to read whining and i dont want to read a post with 5 :cool: (plus 1 in the sig)

take a look at my tank and tell me if its the most beautyful (sic) thing you will ever come across. The indent on top is so bad you can eat a can of soup out of it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I second that Timdog; let's not start being disrespectful to members. This is a club and a friendly one. I have to agree that a fuel tank which costs around a £8-900 to replace is not a trivial issue. Plus, surely if the tank keeps spreading it will split eventually and this will be a safety issue.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
oh i didn't mean to sound disrespectful at all,
he should just get his senses together. :cool:

take a look at my tank and tell me if its the most beautyful (sic) thing you will ever come across. The indent on top is so bad you can eat a can of soup out of it.
hi there. :cool:

that sounds weird, i would love to see some noodle
soup arranged on your sport classic tank,
an image, ducati north america would like
to see also, i assume.

haven't you guys asked http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/ , if they are
willing to come up with a tank of their own ?
maybe with a slight different shape also ?

I'll give WBO a call tomorrow, to see if he is
willing to come up with a badge of aluminum
tanks for your bikes.

cheers. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
get some washers and space out the brackets,
what is the problem anyway.
IMHO when you pay the price of admission for a Ducati you shouldn't have to put up with jury rigged fixes. Ducati has a problem and they need to get it straightened out. (Excuse the pun.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
From what has been discovered so far - it seems to be only US tanks, US has high ethanol, there is a known degredation problems with high ethanol I'd hazard a guess that Ducati didn't actually test the tank material construction in the US market using US gas prior to launch. Is that the buyers fault and should one expect the buyer to spend money putting it right or fashioning a fix? Most here will have put up with the "quirks" owning them bring, you'd hardly buy an SC without some knowledge of Ducati but a faulty gas tank and its replacement cost should not be one the owner has to bear!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am dead calm about this. I bought the bike know how "quirky" Ducati can be. I love the bike. Everything about it. I really think I could live with the can being shimmed up. But the last thing I need is an aluminum tank I have to paint. Why should I? Just looking for a little support from the manufacturer, is all.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Truelu, I am dead calm about this.
thanks brooksie, i have a good laugh here on
your very dry last post.
i really didn't mean to offend you or anybody
else, just wanted to share my view of the
matter with you.

i sure agree, that this is a fault of the manufacturer,
just as gizmo has stated, it seems as if ducati
has never tested the tanks in the u.s. before they
went into production.

still wait for the noodle soup picture here, and hope
you all come to a good conclusion with your tanks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
thanks brooksie, i have a good laugh here on
your very dry last post.
i really didn't mean to offend you or anybody
else, just wanted to share my view of the
matter with you.

i sure agree, that this is a fault of the manufacturer,
just as gizmo has stated, it seems as if ducati
has never tested the tanks in the u.s. before they
went into production.

still wait for the noodle soup picture here, and hope
you all come to a good conclusion with your tanks.

Absolutely no offense taken! We all really love these bikes. I think Ducati will offer something but we really need to keep up the pressure. It's true there should've been some testing. I just wonder if all plastic tank Ducatis have this trouble here? I doubt it. Probably just these. I really don't like soup much at 130mph. Maybe some flap jacks.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I just wonder if all plastic tank Ducatis have this trouble here? I doubt it. Probably just these.
i assume you're right, as discussed before,
the plastic mh900e tank does not spread.

I really don't like soup much at 130mph.
:yeah:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I knew that something was wrong! At first, I thought that perhaps I lost a rubber mount or clip of some sort because my tank has spread so much that I can list it off the bike. O. F. F. As in: Lift it the FUc% OFF my bike with no tools. It slots into one or the other mount hangers, but not both at the same time. I'm waiting until spring to do the valve service and new tires, so I'll see if they have a fix for this while I'm at it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Any replacement tank will go the same way. It seems to be a problem in the States only. Is there a way to start a thread that we can simply count how many owners have this issue without the rhetoric? Maybe if we can get enough together, we can get some notice from DNA.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Dear Moderator.....Thread For Counting Bad Tanks?

Can we get a thread going that would be like a survey that allows owners to be counted that have or had the incredible melting tank? I'd be glad to provide any info required from the bike. I've filed with NTSB and DNA but I think we need to get some help providing real numbers to DNA and NTSB as to the real numbers. While it is good to have dialog here, we need to get a REAL count as best we can so perhaps we can get some help for this issue. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Can we get a thread going that would be like a survey that allows owners to be counted that have or had the incredible melting tank? I'd be glad to provide any info required from the bike. I've filed with NTSB and DNA but I think we need to get some help providing real numbers to DNA and NTSB as to the real numbers. While it is good to have dialog here, we need to get a REAL count as best we can so perhaps we can get some help for this issue. Thanks!
I posted a poll. Vote "yes" or "no" and include any information that you think might be useful . . . . how long have you had your bike, do you keep it indoors or outdoors, etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i might be trading my b ike for a sportclassic next week and I didn't know about this problem. Would it be smart to coat the inside of the tank this winter with por-15/kreem/ or something similar???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Temp Fix

Until Ducati gets us new, safe, non-spreading replacements for our defective tanks, I have been pondering what to do. I did take the time to place my technical problem complaint per the instructions YMRacing so kindly posted on the poll thread. I know some folks have decided to shim out the mounting brackets on the frame, but that seems like the wrong way to go to me. I keep thinking that some sort of tiny aluminum turnbuckle attached to the frame and the tank could be used to pull the tank sides back towards the frame and retain the original shape. I have not spent much time looking at it yet, just an idea. If anyone here has more of an engineering background or reasearched this, I would be curious as to your thoughts. I was thinking of zip tying the turnbuckle to the frame and somehow attaching it to the tank, although I am not sure how. If that can be accomplished, you could slowly, over several days or weeks, tighten the turnbuckle to pull the tank back into shape. Feasible or not?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Until Ducati gets us new, safe, non-spreading replacements for our defective tanks, I have been pondering what to do. I did take the time to place my technical problem complaint per the instructions YMRacing so kindly posted on the poll thread. I know some folks have decided to shim out the mounting brackets on the frame, but that seems like the wrong way to go to me. I keep thinking that some sort of tiny aluminum turnbuckle attached to the frame and the tank could be used to pull the tank sides back towards the frame and retain the original shape. I have not spent much time looking at it yet, just an idea. If anyone here has more of an engineering background or reasearched this, I would be curious as to your thoughts. I was thinking of zip tying the turnbuckle to the frame and somehow attaching it to the tank, although I am not sure how. If that can be accomplished, you could slowly, over several days or weeks, tighten the turnbuckle to pull the tank back into shape. Feasible or not?
Not..........you are talking plastic here that has been deformed, stretched and bubbled due to a chemical reaction to the additives in the gasoline suppled in the USA. No amount of pushing/pulling with anything is going to get it back to its original shape.

Stop pondering and just get a new tank from DNA. As I have posted before they are aware of the problem. Also the NHTSA is now involved.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
So, here's a pic of of mine and two friend's bikes, all with very warped tanks. The lines you see are not just from the photo, they are now features in the tanks. The yellow bike has bubbles on the top of the tank and I kinda freaked my buddy out when I casually lifted the tank off the mount with ease. My tank now has warps and creases that make it a little less attractive in these glamour shots. The Monster tank has a series of creases and bubbles across the top and has expanded so much the latch barely works even though the rear mount is at the end of it's adjustment and will need to be drilled to mount the tank further back to keep working. The bottom of my tank where the fuel pump is mounted is warped so bad the o-ring alone will not seal it and I have to use sealant when putting it together. I have been sorta OK with my bike, bacause although I like taking pics and showing it off, I really bought it to ride. As long as it's functional I figured I would be OK with it. But, it is hard to watch my friends and forum members go through the pains of having their $10,000 plus bike warp before their eyes. I may be interested in swapping my tank if a solution has truly been found in the replacement tanks:

21 - 40 of 620 Posts