Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm working my way through my new to me 1995 900ss and finding a few oddities. I have a piece of black vacuum hose with a spring clamp just sticking up beside the battery box on the left side frame. Not attached to anything at all, and if I trace it to its other end it goes to the airbox/breather box also on the left side frame #13 below.

I assume this is a crankcase breather setup of some sort, any ideas where this hose should be attached?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Not sure we are talking about the same hose, but originally there was a small diameter hose that connects to the battery itself in case of overcharging or boil over. Do you think that is the hose? Mine just hung straight down and was zip tied with some other hoses. Or is it long enough to go into the carbs somewhere? What diameter is the hose you are asking about?

·
Señor Member
8,378 Posts
Pictures of your hose and location would be much more helpful, if you can.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
You will have the battery breather hose, it’s small diameter. Then you’ll also have #8 and 17, breathers from the carb diaphragms. Wash #10 screen filters, they clog. I replace them with fuel filters. I replace all of the vent hoses with fuel line to prevent collapse. You also have a float bowl drain on each carb, route those away from the exhaust. I see an unnumbered line at the top of the drawing going to the box from the carb, I’d replace that with fuel line too.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the battery breather hose is routed to the triangular box on the left frame instead of straight out the bottom of the bike? Maybe its an old breather hose then. Mine has the battery breather hose on the right side of the battery (not shown) routed out the right side down past the clutch cover and oil screen, maybe moved during its last battery replacement. Here's the pic as requested. Green line showing the hose and its routing to the box.

Sorry for the silly question if it's just the old battery breather hose, it seemed odd to route it to the same location as the other lines going to the triangular box on the left frame.

·
Registered
772 Posts
hose...

Looks like the battery is installed backwards, terminals should face the rear, positive on right side, same as rear brake lever. Negative post is on left, shifter side. The overflow hose connects to left side of battery.
May be the battery is incorrect for your model, pos and neg switched, left to right.

Fred

Reactions: wmfleet2 and RockAZ

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the battery is installed backwards, terminals should face the rear, positive on right side, same as rear brake lever. Negative post is on left, shifter side. The overflow hose connects to left side of battery.
May be the battery is incorrect for your model, pos and neg switched, left to right.

Fred
Could be. The parts diagram has two pages, one showing battery with vent on the left, the other with battery with vent on the right :)

Not sure we are talking about the same hose, but originally there was a small diameter hose that connects to the battery itself in case of overcharging or boil over. Do you think that is the hose? Mine just hung straight down and was zip tied with some other hoses. Or is it long enough to go into the carbs somewhere? What diameter is the hose you are asking about?
Could be long enough to belong on the carbs. This is what I was thinking since the open hose is attached to the triangular box on its other end. I would expect a vent hose, even a left over one from a poor battery installation, to be routed straight out the bottom of the bike.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The battery vent is not supposed to connect to the small triangular boxes in the side of the frame. If you have stock Mikuni carburetors the triangle boxes connect to each carburetor to provide quiet air to one side of the diaphragm. If you have switched to FCRs the boxes are not used. The battery vent is a separate line that is supposed to exit with a few other vent lines by the right foot peg.

·
Señor Member
8,378 Posts
I have a 1996 SS/SP with stock carbs. The first photo is my battery installation, negative terminal on the left to the rear, vent hose on the left routed out the bottom of the fairing. The second photo is from my manual, the un-numbered hose at the top of your diagram is this hose, one end connected to the carbs, the other going into the triangular box marked #15. I hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts