Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused by different specifications on the factory's scope of supply of a Bayliss I find on the internet. As my bike lost most of the goodies before I bought it, I am trying to bring it back to original or higher.

Which parts are originally CF from factory?

1. Top fairing?
2. Lower fairings?
3. Front (triangular) fairing?
4. Belly pan?
5. Air runners?
6. Airbox?
7. Heat shield under saddle?
8. anything else?

Eric

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am confused by different specifications on the factory's scope of supply of a Bayliss I find on the internet. As my bike lost most of the goodies before I bought it, I am trying to bring it back to original or higher.

Which parts are originally CF from factory?

1. Top fairing?
2. Lower fairings?
3. Front (triangular) fairing?
4. Belly pan?
5. Air runners?
6. Airbox?
7. Heat shield under saddle?
8. anything else?

Eric

I have a Bostrom and believe they are the same. Except mine is a US spec with the standard 998 motor.

1. Top fairing- ABS as well as tail
2. Lower fairings- Carbon
3. Front (triangular) fairing- Carbon
4. Belly pan- Carbon
5. Air runners- Carbon
6. Airbox- Carbon
7. Heat shield under saddle- Not sure, I have a Corse breather box. But I think it should be Carbon
8. anything else- Your wheels suggest that your bike wasn't a Bayliss but a Matrix or even an FE. However you don't have a biposto sub frame on it. Also you should have Ohlins front forks on it stock if it was indeed a Bayliss with the older style wheels. It looks as though this bike was put together with random parts with different year bikes. Whomever did it did an ok job though.

It's funny because I was going to ask about your bike in your other thread, but came across this post.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Bostrom and believe they are the same. Except mine is a US spec with the standard 998 motor.

1. Top fairing- ABS as well as tail
2. Lower fairings- Carbon
3. Front (triangular) fairing- Carbon
4. Belly pan- Carbon
5. Air runners- Carbon
6. Airbox- Carbon
7. Heat shield under saddle- Not sure, I have a Corse breather box. But I think it should be Carbon
8. anything else- Your wheels suggest that your bike wasn't a Bayliss but a Matrix or even an FE. However you don't have a biposto sub frame on it. Also you should have Ohlins front forks on it stock if it was indeed a Bayliss with the older style wheels. It looks as though this bike was put together with random parts with different year bikes. Whomever did it did an ok job though.

It's funny because I was going to ask about your bike in your other thread, but came across this post.
The bike is (or I should say "was") an original Bayliss when it left the factory. The frame and engine number matched the Ducati info when I checked with them, and the bike was originally sold by Ducati Japan. Surely it was crashed and lost most of the sweet parts (but also gained some), and rebuilt before it finally showed up in China.

Right now I have the original Ducati front fender, original 998R side fairings, front part and belly pan, as well as rear fender.

This early winter I had a check on the engine, and all seems pretty good inside. That made me decide not to track it any longer, but to bring this bike back to what it was. Will surely do a high quality paint job on fairings and tank (+ a fresh set of decals) to match it back to what it once was.
I just bought a 2nd 998S, which I will restore this winter if feasable, and will outfit / use that one as a track bike.

Will definitely try to source an CF airbox and the runners (either original ones which are rare as I understood) or here in China. I know some guys who make pretty decent CF for bikes, and with some extra attention that should work.

All I am still not sure of is if the heat shield was really CF. I read it was, but I saw pictures of the original Bayliss from Safetyfish before, and his was surely not CF.

On the front: I just bought a 848 front with radial brakes to replace the old 998 Showa ones I got the bike with.

On the wheels: The front is Ducati stock for sure. The rear is the version without the groove, but I saw other pictures of same bikes, some have it, some other haven't.
Of course I am not sure if this wheel was added afterwards, or just delivered with the bike as original.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts