Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don’t necessarily dislike this bike enough to get rid of it. I like everything about it, buuuut, the handling could be better. I think I’m going all in though, get the wheels and enjoy.
I have a 1260 Pikes Peak with Marchesini's as well as a Monster 1200R also with Marchesini's.
The 1260 handles just as nice as the lighter Monster.
Moreover, I've ridden MTS demos and my buddy's MTS1200S back to back many many times over.
The 1260 with forged wheels handles noticeably better than the 1200 with cast.
Buy the light wheels and don't look back.

·
Old Fast Guy
535 Posts
Just found these are available as an option. Replicas from the SBK won by Carlos Checa in 2011.

View attachment 1021390
I have these and they are NOT the true race wheels. They are replicas that look cool but are much heavier than the real wheel after DOT adjustments. Just sayin…

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I think you guys are starting to split hairs here....
Lighter wheels will improve the handling on any bike, period.
It's a road bike, moreover, it's a large go anywhere, do (almost) anything adventure type bike so if you go lighter go SENSIBLE lighter.....
Don't put Magnesium wheels on a road bike..... Forged Aluminium is as far as you want to go, The genuine Ducati Marchesinis i put on my 1200DVT were more than 3.8kg lighter than the std cast wheels, that you will notice, I really don't see the need to go any further than that, as nice as BST or Rotobox (Mmmmmm!!!!) carbon wheels are in my opinion it's overkill.

I put a set of Oz racing Piega wheels on my track bike, they're light, and they're DOT approved ones not the Piega-R version, mainly because if i decide to sell them i have a wider market of buyers for them, they may not be quite as light as the full race version but they make a massive difference as well, and on a very light CBR600RR
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have these and they are NOT the true race wheels. They are replicas that look cool but are much heavier than the real wheel after DOT adjustments. Just sayin…
I found an older thread on here that in order of heaviness to lightest was the replicas, then OZ Gass then BSTs.

·
Hammer Down
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's a road bike, moreover, it's a large go anywhere, do (almost) anything adventure type bike so if you go lighter go SENSIBLE lighter.....
Don't put Magnesium wheels on a road bike..... Forged Aluminium is as far as you want to go, The genuine Ducati Marchesinis i put on my 1200DVT were more than 3.8kg lighter than the std cast wheels, that you will notice, I really don't see the need to go any further than that, as nice as BST or Rotobox (Mmmmmm!!!!) carbon wheels are in my opinion it's overkill.

I put a set of Oz racing Piega wheels on my track bike, they're light, and they're DOT approved ones not the Piega-R version, mainly because if i decide to sell them i have a wider market of buyers for them, they may not be quite as light as the full race version but they make a massive difference as well, and on a very light CBR600RR View attachment 1021452
Those look great on your ride!

Having read some older threads on here about CF wheels on the Multi, it did give me pause. However, having spoken with a local mechanic (DucShop) who has pretty good credibility, he's seen no issues with BSTs installed on Multistadas. I need to see empirical data that supports choosing a forged aluminum wheel over a CF one for a road bike.

Anything "could" happen but the likelihood of it happening to a BST CF wheel but not a forged aluminum wheel seems like splitting hairs.

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
196 Posts
G'day all,

Didn't speed read all the posts above, but my 20c suggestion is - try raising the forks through the steering clamps.

That will sharpen up the steering - though I suggest only raising them 4-5mm at first (and resetting your headlight).

Tyres are the next obvious element, as is suspension pre load and damping rates. If the 1260 is a bit low at the back it might be a pig in corners, as would any bike not set up just right...... eg I raised my forks 4mm on the V4MS and it corners like it's on rails.... and it has a long wheelbase!

So try a few adjustments or a set of new tyres first, then look at bling ;)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Those look great on your ride!

Having read some older threads on here about CF wheels on the Multi, it did give me pause. However, having spoken with a local mechanic (DucShop) who has pretty good credibility, he's seen no issues with BSTs installed on Multistadas. I need to see empirical data that supports choosing a forged aluminum wheel over a CF one for a road bike.

Anything "could" happen but the likelihood of it happening to a BST CF wheel but not a forged aluminum wheel seems like splitting hairs.
Don't get me wrong here, C/F wheels are awesome, very light, very strong, some have concerns over using them on the road, and i used to, but my V4SP came with them std and if a manufacturer owned by VAG is ok with them supplied on their product as standard.... then i'm fine with them on my bike.

Magnesium is another matter, they're fine, very strong, but if they get chipped up or scratched (tyre change?) badly enough to remove the Zinc Di-chromate treatment they will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and they will get brittle and fail. Long before C/F wheels and forged Al wheels were common place cast mag wheels were the rage for racing and for light street bikes, I have in the past bought them 2nd hand, i wouldn't do that nowadays, too many other options. And new? maybe for a track/race bike, maybe... but if i'm spending that money i'll buy C/F or like i have done already, forged Al, because for the everyday rider, it doesn't matter.
Yes, lighter wheels make a difference but it's a sliding scale of diminishing returns, you can spend 3k on a set of Oz racing Forged alloy street legal wheels and save kilos, but to then buy C/F or magnesium for a multi at the extra cost to save grams seems like an extravagance.

Do what makes you happy, i did, and i'm not rubbishing anyone's choices at all, i'm just saying that all the debate and discussion over which is lighter is pretty much moot when you consider they're going on a what? 250kg Multistrada, anything from a factory forged Al Marchesini (which i have) and upwards in expense will give you a significant change in your bike, from there though the extra expense is significant compared to the gains in less weight.

The bling factor however cannot be ignored........;)

·
Hammer Down
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I can get along with what you’re saying @loony888. I am still considering the wheel material, it’s basically $1k more for CF. I can afford them but I do wonder if I really need to drop the additional fundage to be happy overall. Only I can determine that but I appreciate all the feedback.

One niggle I have with CF is no doubt, I’ll end up on a gravel road at some point (like I did last weekend) and will be cringing the whole time worrying about nicking my nearly $4k purchase. I know the CF wheels can handle gravel but I also know that in 4,500 miles, I already had chips in the OEM cast wheels. Then there’s finding a competent and willing shop to install them whenever I need new tires. I think too much about it probably but that’s just how I do.

The $1k in savings could be used on a 525 chain conversion too. 🤷‍♂️ 😁

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
They were on my 1200DVT PP before the 1260. The difference was more noticeable on the earlier bike but still a big improvement in comparison to the Marchesinis.

FWIW, if I had to buy them again, I’d go with the satin finish. Not much in it, but I think it’s a classier look.
Lovely bike!
I find it interesting that Ducati had Forged Marchesinis on the pre DVT PP, and the 1260PP but not the 1200DVT PP, every pic i see of those has the std (heavy!) Enkeis..... On the DVT PP you get the Öhlins but not much more, i'm curious as to why they did that....

On my 1200DVT the forged Marchesinis were 3.8 kg lighter combined than the Enkeis, which is a huge difference, and as you can imagine there was a noticeable difference in handling, I understand the BST's are lighter, i've had them off my V4SP and they really are but do you know how much lighter they are than forged Marchesinis that are std?

I would imagine those BST's on your DVT compared to the Enkeis would have been a massive change, i'm very impressed with mine now, and i only went to forged Aluminium.....

·
Registered
2011 Monster 1100 Evo, 2020 Multistrada 1260S, 2008 track 848
160 Posts
G'day all,

Didn't speed read all the posts above, but my 20c suggestion is - try raising the forks through the steering clamps.
Hi DaveAu, I don't get this one, it appears counter intuitive to me. The higher the front, the lower bike's agility, right? So I would expect to rather lower the front, this would shift weight forward, reduce rake angle and offset, thus improve how swiftly you can throw the bike form one side to the other - all this at cost of stability.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi DaveAu, I don't get this one, it appears counter intuitive to me. The higher the front, the lower bike's agility, right? So I would expect to rather lower the front, this would shift weight forward, reduce rake angle and offset, thus improve how swiftly you can throw the bike form one side to the other - all this at cost of stability.
That is what DaveAu also suggested... raising the forks through the triple clamp (longer piece of the forks is sticking higher up above the triple clamp) would actually lower the front of the bike. So, you are talking about the same thing

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
196 Posts
Cheers Elbrice,

I agree, raising the forks up through the steering clamps is the same as lowering the steering head down the forks.....

You will not have any stability issues with<4mm unless the previous owner has already lowered the steering head (or raised the forks). Instability will appear at about 10mm, and the seat angle will be uncomfortable as well.

Don't forget to measure the sag at the rear, or feed a bit more preload in.

👍

Reactions: Elbrice

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine came with the standard cast wheels, on the balance of bang for buck, I went for a used set of forged Marchesinis which would make significant gains over stock but are common enough that they aren't that expensive. The extra $$$ for carbon I could not justify for the extra kg or so it would save over forged.

I felt the difference at first but a few years on now and I don't notice it and wouldn't unless I ride another back to back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You ain’t lying! I just had to have a set of BST’s once in my life so put them on my Tuono. Do I need them? Hell no, but I sure do love them. It felt like a brand new bike after 4 years with stock wheels.

The Multistrada will be getting some OZ SBK Magnesium wheels soon.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
will be cringing the whole time worrying about nicking my nearly $4k purchase. I know the CF wheels can handle gravel but I also know that in 4,500 miles, I already had chips in the OEM cast wheels. Then there’s finding a competent and willing shop to install them whenever I need new tires.
IME,
I have had BSTs on my Multistrada for 8 years. While I don’t use it as an off road bike, it has been off road and on plenty of gravel roads. And +30K miles later they still look brand new. The clear they put on them must be super hard. Although, like you I am afraid of letting anyone else change tires on them….I always change them myself on the BSTs. They do make a big visual impact when folks start looking closely at the bike and realize it has real carbon fiber wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I put a set of Oz racing Piega wheels on my track bike, they're light, and they're DOT approved ones not the Piega-R version, mainly because if i decide to sell them i have a wider market of buyers for them, they may not be quite as light as the full race version but they make a massive difference as well, and on a very light CBR600RR View attachment 1021452

Those are very nice for factory wheels and would be hard to improve upon without exceeding cost basis, chasing that few last lbs can get real expensive :)

I dropped 11 lbs (7 rear - 4 front) going from the stock 3 spoke Brembo's on my '92 900SS to a set of forget alum Carro's and it absolutely transformed the bike - this was on a bike that already had the Nichols flywheel, FCR41's, and Dyna coils. It handled better, turned in quicker, and changed direction effortlessly - all that was expected. What amazed me was how much harder it accelerated....

21 - 40 of 44 Posts