Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been considering replacing the factory wheels on my bike, a 1260S, to get quicker handling. The 1260s wheelbase makes for a lazy turn in to me and I’m hoping lighter wheels will fix that.

I’m leaning heavily towards the BST Rapid Tek but have also considered some OZ forged aluminum.

My main question is what size rear wheel width should I order, 5.5” or 6”?

Secondly, do I need anything in addition to the wheels?

Lastly, who do you recommend to buy through? Motowheels seems to have the best price I’ve found so far.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Buy them in the std sizes, so 6" rear.

I bought a set of Oz Racing for my track bike and they came with bearings, seals and captive spacers, so on the front you add your rotors and bolt them on. Rear on your SSS is a bolt on, no bearing, disc rotor etc as it's all attached to the hub.

I put a set of genuine Marchesini forged wheels off an 1198R on my 1200S and the difference is very noticeable everywhere, the 1200 chassis is a bit more sporty than the 1260 which i think has a lazier steering head angle???

Have you seen this thread?

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
601 Posts
Not to rain on your bling parade but have you explored the simple options first? Tyre profile, bike geometry etc?
It just seems like an expensive “fix”, the thing is an ocean liner compared to the previous 1200 model, with a near enough 2” longer swingarm, and +1deg steering angle so it’s never going to be as sporty feeling.
Left-field thought here but a 1200 might be a better fit if? You’d be a serious wedge of cash in front on the swap and no need for big buck wheels. Hell, you could buy a good second bike with the monetary difference. (Apologies for very un-Ducati suggestion, lol)

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
BST will sell you ready to run wheels with all the correct dimensions (just swap your brake rotors over and go)... they were also very responsive to questions so ping them if you're wondering about something. I'd personally not alter the width from stock... you'd need to go with tires designed for a 5.5" wheel (generally designed for 600's) and the Multi is already portly for the 6" rubber.

I do sort of agree with the earlier post though that you may be happier overall with a 1200 if you think the 1260 is a bit to lethargic. You give up some umph but none of the LC Multi's are really lacking in that category.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is it limited to Ducati's. I always was under the impression the "+1" could be any motorcycle.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Theoretically it could be any bike, but it's just bad form.

Another +1 from me for getting a different bike. Those 1260's are just too large in my opinion to rival the characteristics of my 13 1200. This thing is an animal.

·
Hammer Down
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting to sound like I’m trying to put lipstick on a pig. Unfortunately Ducati have nothing else like it these days. Should’ve kept my 2014.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it’s that important you could put a previous gen swing arm on it and have GMD or similar alter the rake. (Wondering if the rake change is triple clamps or headstock change??) 🤔

·
Registered
63 Posts
I thought about doing satin if I buy them but those gloss ones look ace. How much difference did you notice from the forged aluminum and those?
They were on my 1200DVT PP before the 1260. The difference was more noticeable on the earlier bike but still a big improvement in comparison to the Marchesinis.

FWIW, if I had to buy them again, I’d go with the satin finish. Not much in it, but I think it’s a classier look.

·
Hammer Down
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input, it’s been helpful. I think my goal is to make this the best 1260 it can be, no doubt lighter wheels would help that. I was trying to get a sense of anyone with a 1260 had done that and what their feedback is. At this point, we’re probably not going to see another “short” wheelbase Multistrada. The new Multi Pikes Peak has a 62.8” wheelbase for crying out loud. :D

I’m not really interested in a 2nd bike, just don’t like maintaining 2 so I’m left with making this bike better or buying something else new which means a different brand and I really don’t want that either.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
I got my BSTs from Hardracing.comm as well as some other high end parts. Always a great experience with them. Yes I love the BSTs on my MTS, you cannot go wrong, except the bloody cost.

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Hammer Down
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have to buy new? Maybe Ducati no longer makes something that hits your bullseye, but did?
I don’t necessarily dislike this bike enough to get rid of it. I like everything about it, buuuut, the handling could be better. I think I’m going all in though, get the wheels and enjoy.

·
Registered
2011 Monster 1100 Evo, 2020 Multistrada 1260S, 2008 track 848
160 Posts
It stroke me indeed when I replaced my '15 1200S with a '20 1260S: agility vs. stability (for the latter). I somewhat compensated by increasing the rear preload to lift it up, so most of the time I ride with passenger + luggage preload. This shifts some weight toward the front.

·
Old Fast Guy
535 Posts
No that’s a very Ducati answer.
it’s along the same line as..

If ONE Ducati is good.. TWO must be better

And

the N+1 rule of bikes where N is the number you currently have and the sum is what you need.
This ^^^^ is an affliction that once contracted, can’t be cured except by end-of-life. Even a total financial collapse doesn’t cure it, it only forces it into remission until funds available.

I’m afraid I have it…

• Haha
Reactions: Gadgetech
1 - 20 of 44 Posts