Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to thank you all for the responses on my first post,i left out one question though, along with all the usual lights on my gauge cluster i.e turn signal=green high beam =blue etc... theres a orange one that comes on some of the time, looked in the owners manual and came up with nothing? almost forgot 2001 996 thanx again for help on my first post :confused:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Low Fuel is correct.
My light is also unmarked and I had to research to find out what it is for.
2000 996.

·
Super Moderator
8,295 Posts
The reserv light is the Italians way of saying

"Eyy Patrone! I am a thinking it is a time´a for da coffee and a cigaretta! Pulla da bike over on da nexta service station!"

IF the light works correctly (That´s a BIG IF mind you) then you have ~4 liters (1 US gallon) left in the tank. It´s not going to be closer then that and your not going to get another warning. When it dies.. Its OUT of fuel. No .5 litres you can slooush toward the pump.. nothing. Dry as sand baked in an oven in the middle of a dessert.

//amullo

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
I've found that the low fuel light comes on at different levels depending on the bike. On two pre-98 SS it came on at 3.1 gallons used and 3.2 gallons used. On my 998 it comes on at 2.8 gallons used. Best to refill as soon as it comes on (several times) and then see if it is consistent. If so, you should have a pretty good idea of what's left in YOUR bike when the light comes on.

bruce19

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
AFAIK The 'extra' light (although on mine it's red) was used on some models (pre '98?) to indicate bad charging, on mine it does nothing as it is not even connected to anything.

In the Haynes manual they have different variations of wiring diagram and it shows it connected to the Regulator/Rectifier - if it comes on you've got a charging problem, (check white connector between R/R and alternator), but I don't know on later models.

·
Registered
204 Posts
DukeDesmo said:
AFAIK The 'extra' light (although on mine it's red) was used on some models (pre '98?) to indicate bad charging, on mine it does nothing as it is not even connected to anything.

In the Haynes manual they have different variations of wiring diagram and it shows it connected to the Regulator/Rectifier - if it comes on you've got a charging problem, (check white connector between R/R and alternator), but I don't know on later models.
+1 Red lens here. Not used, not connected.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I concur,

+ 1 red lens not connected to voltage regulator. Although there is a globe, fitting and wiring to the harness connector.

I am currently working on an electronic circuit that fills that spot with an LED voltmeter, ie. flashes red if batt is less than 12.4V, flashes green is batt is between 12.4 and 13.5V, flashes blue is batt is between 13.5 and 15V and steady on if batt is greater than 15V. I have made and fitted a prototype to my bike so far (albeit my monster!, since there are two vacant spots on the old style dash) the red lens just lifts out and can be replaced with a frosted clear lens. For my 996 I have to work out how to remove the red lens.

The circuit is permanantly wired and uses about 10mA of current when flashing and about 20mA when the LED is steady on.

If anybody thinks this little device is a good idea and you would like to know more just let me know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Any ideas how to make the red light that is not used into a rev limit light ??? :confused: Is it possible ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
reference to the owner's manual, when the ignition is on, the red light (engine oil pressure) at the RPM gauage is supposed to come on.. and will go off when the engine is crank on.

but mine sometimes, when the ignition is on, the red light does not come on..

anyone have similar encounters?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Shoud be possible to rework the ecu electronics to tap into the rpm signal and use that to operate the vacant red light.

This would not be an easy thing to do though and would no doubt require some pretty fancy computer based electronics. Beyond my competence at this stage. I'm a structures/mecahnics engineer with limited skills in electronics.

Regards, James.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks again for all your input. it ended up being the light for the gas,even though i had half tank and still wrong light but all is fine after filling the tank.also just wondering if anyone has ultra 94 in your area sunnoco no longer carries it at there pumps around my area. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts