Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 998 Bostrom that I use for weekend canyon burning and the occaisional ride to work. It appears the bike has 15/39 sprockets. It runs REALLY good but I was thinking of going to a 14 front sprocket to get a little better pull out of the hole. Your thoughts?

Flash

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I have a 15 and a 14 that I occasionally change back and forth. when I am just commuting (75 mile round trip) I put on the 15. When I am going to be rocking the twistys then I put on the 14. I do not mind tinkering with my bike, so it is no big deal for me. The easier exceleration with the 14 is a nice feature while exiting corners. I just have to make sure that I blip the throttle while downshifting when I switch to the 14. I seem to get better milage with the 15 on the highway.
I say pick up a 14. Try it out, If you dont like it you can always go back.
Just make sure that when you adjust the chain that you pay attention to the orientation of your rear eccentric.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I have a 998 Bostrom that I use for weekend canyon burning and the occaisional ride to work. It appears the bike has 15/39 sprockets. It runs REALLY good but I was thinking of going to a 14 front sprocket to get a little better pull out of the hole. Your thoughts?

Flash
I use 14/39 on my 999R.

15/42 is more or less the same, but you will need a longer chain.

Tom

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 15 and a 14 that I occasionally change back and forth. when I am just commuting (75 mile round trip) I put on the 15. When I am going to be rocking the twistys then I put on the 14. I do not mind tinkering with my bike, so it is no big deal for me. The easier exceleration with the 14 is a nice feature while exiting corners. I just have to make sure that I blip the throttle while downshifting when I switch to the 14. I seem to get better milage with the 15 on the highway.
I say pick up a 14. Try it out, If you dont like it you can always go back.
Just make sure that when you adjust the chain that you pay attention to the orientation of your rear ecentric.
Sorry to be clueless but what do you mean "pay attention to the orientation of the rear accentric?" I know the accentric is the chain adjuster but what do I need to look out for?

Thanks,

Flash

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
It can be rotated into the wrong position so that the axle is at the top of the eccentric which would screw up your geometry (lower the rear end and slacken the head tube) also it would cause the chain to grind against the chain guard. Your axle should be down near the 6 o'clock position.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhh. Thanks. Makes good sense. :)

Flash

1 - 7 of 7 Posts