Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something I've been wondering, as I've been using my bike for daily commuting, is that I'm on the highway, and while I am traveling a bit faster than the flow of traffic, I don't think I'm going 90mph, which is indicated. I often drive the same route and no one is really going more than 70.

so either my perception of speed is totally off, or the speedometer is reading 10-15mph high.

Is this just my imagination or is this a known issue, or at least, has anyone else encountered it?

·
Still needs a life.
12,609 Posts
The speedometers on most of our ST models read 10% high in the normal street and highway legal speed range. Compare your speedo's readout to that of a GPS if you have one.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Generally about 10% for me too. Since your speedo is driven off the front wheel, this can change a little with tire brand (diameter and carcass construction) tire wear, and to some extent tire pressure.

·
Registered
242 Posts
+1 on checking it with GPS. My car's speedo has a tiny over-read. My ST2 UNDER-reads by a couple mph. At least when it says 60, i know i'm going at least 60!:D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10% sounds about right for what I've been feeling. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
11 Posts
So it is not my immagination. I thought speedo was off. HOW DO I FIX IT?

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
So it is not my immagination. I thought speedo was off. HOW DO I FIX IT?
You don't. All vehicle manufacturers design their speedometers to purposely read a little low so that if you ride at the speed limit you don't get ticketed and they can't be blamed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont buy it... Smaller size tire? Risk handling issues? At an assumed average 10% differaance can I claim less miles on the bike than what is actually on the clock when selling it? Doubt the new owner will buy the rubbish. What to do or not to do...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Altho Ducati speedometers all tend to be optimistic, the odometers are very accurate. As Shazaam mentioned, it's the manufacturer protecting themselves. There have been electronic devices which correct speedometer error, but they then induce odometer error.

If you want an accurate reading of speed mount a GPS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts