Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

I'll be going on a little tour of Spain and France in a few weeks and I want to make a few changes to my mts1200. So if anyone can help me out with some advice it would be appreciated.
1, tyres - I am thinking on putting on pilot road 3 on the bike and would like to know what people think of them.

2, exhaust - either the arrow full system or the termignoni, I hav at the mo a akroprovik slip on but tbh it don't really do much for me. So any advise on helping me choose the best one.

Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
1) Pilot Road 3s seem to be very good tires in the wet and they impressed me at the track. One of my buddies is running it on his street bike (08 CBR1000RR) which he tracks and he can carry some good speeds with it.

2) This is too objective. I would suggest getting on youtube and watching a few videos and see what you like then buy it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
1) Pilot Road 3s seem to be very good tires in the wet and they impressed me at the track. One of my buddies is running it on his street bike (08 CBR1000RR) which he tracks and he can carry some good speeds with it.

2) This is too subjective. I would suggest getting on youtube and watching a few videos and see what you like then buy it.
:p

Its not too subjective either since different exhausts have different weights and different power outputs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:p

Its not too subjective either since different exhausts have different weights and different power outputs.
Thanks for replays guys, I'm not that bothered about extra power, more importantly it the sound, the only quibble I have with the mts is the sound, I have been reading about the qd which has had quite a few thumbs up in the sound department. I have taken on board about you tube but tbh you can't get a decent sound from that.

Pilot roads 3s it is then.

·
Pulsating L-Twin Member
140 Posts
I really love the Pillot Road 3's -- so much better than stock it's just incredible. Probably not as good as stock if you're planning on fairly extensive dirt / hardpack, but for 90%+ street riding, they can't be beat.

I have the stock exhaust, so can't comment on that score, beyond stating that if it were me, I'd go Akropovic.

Have fun on your trip; be safe & ride well.

·
Bon Vivant
10,957 Posts
I've put the stock rubber back on my bike for the third time. They out-last any sport tire by 1000 miles, give great performance on the street and track, and they're pretty decent in the dirt.
That's hard to find when you do all of the above.
If I were touring and never went off road I'd try the Road 3 but I do leave the road often enough to stick with the Pirellis.

At some point I want to try the new TKC 80's for 17 inch wheels but I would need a good long dual sport tour to make it worth while.

I certainly would not put a new exhaust on my bike just before a trip - you will need to have the bike tuned for the new exhaust and on ducatis that's easier said than done.
Personally, the last thing I want on a multi-day tour is a droning loud exhaust. The stock exhaust sounds great to me.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I will be putting PR2's or 3's when my stockers get worn out.
I have the 3/4 Arrow system and it sounds very good, but loud with the DB killer removed (which is the only way to go). The full Termi sounds great as well, but not as loud as the Arrow.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Battlax BT-023 GT's just went on

Wanted to try something new so I went with the Bridgestones. Good price at Motorcycle Superstore . I only got 4k miles out of the stock Pirelli's and thats not enough.. although I live 5 miles from the Angeles Crest HWY. That could be the problem:Dhttp://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111962&stc=1&d=1339181967

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As Mr Bulldog says...don't put a new exhaust on just before a trip. I put my Termi on two weeks ago and Ducati here have still not sorted out all the probems!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought the short carbon termi pipe. now im going to buy the arrow mid pipe.
So , I get a full system for half what the ducati performence one costs.
Me dealer says that they can re flash the computer to suit the new system
her in Australia,

genuine termi can $1200
Arrow cat eliminator $450

Full termi system $3500

The short carbon can looks way better than the full system can ( thats my personal opinion!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does the Arrow link pipe have any baffling in it? The Termi stubby doesn't, so unless you want a very loud 'straight through' system, you'll need some kind of baffle. Perhaps like the BR Tuning one for the Mivv link pipe (the pipe extension piece that allows you to fit it to the OEM or Termi stubby).

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
Does the Arrow link pipe have any baffling in it? The Termi stubby doesn't, so unless you want a very loud 'straight through' system, you'll need some kind of baffle. Perhaps like the BR Tuning one for the Mivv link pipe (the pipe extension piece that allows you to fit it to the OEM or Termi stubby).
Thats what i was thunkin too!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm running the Arrow with the baffle in. It runs a lot nicer than the stock system with no other modifications. It has a good sound without being overly loud. Frees up the engine nicely. I had an issue with it rubbing on the tyre, but it seems to have settled with a gap of about 10mm after about 2000km.

PR3s by all accounts should be a great tyre. I run pilot pures which I'm guessing would last between half and a third the range of the PR3s. They seem to be similar to brigestone 003s but a bit better in damp conditions.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I just mounted up PR3's a week ago and had a LEo VInce full exhaust with the carbon fiber end on since the beginning of this year. I love both! I have put on only 500 miles since hooped up, but already rode through a big rain storm and they performed well. They have seemed to make the bike handle better also.
As the sound of the exhaust, wow.... louder, but now I hear the the power of the engine, not the "rattling can of bolts" that the stock exhaust makes our bikes sound like. I always wear earplugs or listen to music with good in-ear er6i earbuds. If you do switch to a different exhaust and get rid of the factory kat, and exhaust will be louder... The kat is really what dampens the exhaust note. I think if you do change exhaust, you'll what a custom tune to help it run better and being even more lean. One more thing to think about, you'll get rid of the hot and heavy "roasting pan", and save some weight.
I had my bike dynoed, all new custom mapping done by Doug Lofgren.
One neat liitle thing Doug did to my Ecu while dynoing it was he put in a new custom welcome header that coming up when I first turn on my bike. What I mean is when you first start the bike, the round circular dash now says;
"MTS1200", then below that it says "MTNDUC" (which is my custom license plate.. )
Life is all about personal decisions, have fun with yours!:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
The whole point of replacing the standard system is so that i can sound like troy baliss at full noise down the main streight at Phillip Island. If you dont want your bike to be loud, then keep it standard. :D

The power gains are only achived if you free the exhaust . in saying that, the bike has more than enough power with the standard cans.

Dan

·
Registered
137 Posts
BR baffle

I cannot recommend the BR baffle...it restricts the flow too much. Chris at CJS says it robs 15-20 hp and leads to poor consumption.

One either needs to get the leo Vince mid pipe/ de cat (which has a noise limiter or silencer built in) or one needs the Mivv end pipe on the Mivv mid pipe. The end cans from Mivv have a noise restrictor in them.

The termi stubby looks lovely....but has no noise restrictor....I have it on my Mivv mid pipe and she purrs so nicely, especially on deceleration....but it's very very loud.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
On my Multi, I'm 15000 k km's on a 2nd set of stock Pirellis. Doing highly varied terrain, especially here in Denmark where the pavement is a little boring.

I'm very happy with a Mivv mid-pipe with shorty GP muffler. Removed the exhaust valve and tricked the EXVL error out. Better performance with much better sound (a lot more like my Termi S4R). Could probably use some fatducs for the downlow cruising...

Have a safe and enjoyable trip:)

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
for pure canyon riding fun, i like the Conti sport attacks, or Conti road attack 2s if you want more miles and wet road capability.....both offer great feel and traction, love 'em.

Raafrebel: yes, the mid-pipes may cost much less, but there is a little bit of hassle factor that comes along with them (potential exvl errors, possible change in fueling/no dedicated ecu). remember too that with the db killers installed it may rob your motor of some power.

personally? i would like a full open loop system, a dedicated ecu, and dyno tuned PCV/AT to round things out, with an end can that produces a mellow exhaust note (i don't like loud on my tourers). this of course costs real money, and money that i'm not willing to spend given that i'm relatively pleased with the stock kit.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Zard Penta full system

looks great ...
doesn't stick out to upset the cases

would have full remap cutting out the loop, i guess...

grtz

Koen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts