Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, apologies if this causes untold heated debates.
I am after an informed opinion from the readers. I have scoured the site for this infromation but cannot seem to find it.
I have moved from my Aprilia RSV 1000 02 model and am looking at two specific Ducati's to purchase.
1. A 2003 999S Biposto with 2700km's. It looks neat and clean but have not ridden it yet and it has a retail of $19K ride away.
2. A 2008 1098 with 3,200km's. It is clean and almost new but I have not ridden it yet. It retails for $23K ride away.
Now the problem is I love the 999. I have ridden a 999 but not the "S" and I think it will be even better. I love the look of 1098 but have not ridden one.
For an extra $4K do I take the plunge and buy a stock 1098 or look at the 999s with all the extra's.

ahhhhh....

·
Bon Vivant
11,118 Posts
They are both good bikes.
I've ridden a 999s and quite liked the way it handled and the comfort.
But the motor on the 1098 is far and away better with a better chassis and IMO the most beautiful package to ever adorn a sportbike of any make.

Also be aware that small improvements were made to 999 as the years went by and 03 seems to be the least desirable year.

As a side note the 1098 will also hold its value more than the 999.

It's a no-brainer :think:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
They are both good bikes.
I've ridden a 999s and quite liked the way it handled and the comfort.
But the motor on the 1098 is far and away better with a better chassis and IMO the most beautiful package to ever adorn a sportbike of any make.

Also be aware that small improvements were made to 999 as the years went by and 03 seems to be the least desirable year.

As a side note the 1098 will also hold its value more than the 999.

It's a no-brainer :think:
without getting into another 999 vs 1098 thread ,many wouldn't consider the newer chassis better stock.many find the older bikes handling near perfect,while the newer seems to need more set up.i'd also argue the ''hold its value'' .the 999 is at the bottom of a resale cycle while the newer bike will eventually have its drop

·
Bon Vivant
11,118 Posts
Well I certainly disagree with you on both points kaos.

Many believe the 999 was single-handedly responsible for Ducati's near demise.
Some call it the biggest styling mistake Ducati ever made, I'd personally argue that title on several other bikes - The late SS bikes and the STs come to mind.

I don't believe the 1098 will ever have the drop in value that the 999 has seen. and in fact I believe the 999 value is on the rise now that it is a part of history.

All of the testers I consider to have real credentials have put the 1098 chassis far ahead of the 999, to me anything else is just backyard opinions. I personally far prefer the 1098.

For me the choice is clear. I certainly wouldn't mind owning a 999, but it'd have to be a steal.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't know the currency aspects, but I would expect quite alot greater gap in price from a percentage perspective.

Definitely ride both then decide what you want, then shop for the best deal. In the states at least you can approach a 999r for what a used 1098 goes for. That to me is the more valid comparison.

I haven't ridden an R, but those that have swear it's a major upgrade over the standard and the s.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
You need to ride both bikes. Some guys love the 848/1098 series, others 999's. But the 2003 999 isn't a great bike; first gen of the series and it has that stupid cast swing arm.

I own both series of bikes and like them both. The 848/1098 is a MUCH lighter feeling bike to ride around town. It also has lighter steering... It is newer and superior in many ways. If it were me and those were the ONLY two bikes to choose from, its a no brainer... 1098.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting points from the discussion.

* I love the design of the 999 and the 1098, so that rules that out.
* It worries me about the comments on 2003 999 model. I will need to do further research on that one.
* The comment about the 999 price rising or not losing as much is what seems to be happening in AUS.
* I rode the 999 and loved it. I need to ride a 1098 to compare(hopefully this weekend).
* It's interesting the points about the 999 almost ruining Ducati.

·
Registered
17 Posts
is it just me or do those prices seem threw the roof
Those are Oz dollars.. and yes they are through the roof especially if you look at the exchange rate, but what can you do? The new 848 is AUD $24,000 on the road, or USD $20,500.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi, I just bought a fully loaded 2003 999 just 4 months ago, and im more than happy with it, its absolutly gorgouse and attracts alot of attention than many newer bikes, but if it was not half the price of new 1098 I would have definetly went with a new 1098 (Im saving for a 1198 by the way), I am sure the new nike is much better and as a fan of the old 916/996/998 look I think it is more than gorgouse, so for a 4k difference I would go for the 1098 without a doubt, good luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts