Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got a fiberglass fuel tank and would like to use it but didn't know if I should line it first or just put gas in it and go. It's a new tank with new paint, I didn't know if I should drain it after every use, which isn't very often, I just goof around town or leave gas it it and drain when I store.

Oh if you can't tell from my posting's I'm new here from Michigan.
I have 7 Single's ranging from 125-450 and a Sportster.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Allen Gridler wrote in Cycle World about the current swill that passes for gasoline in California dissolving the fiberglass tank on his race bike. If some of the same additives are in your gas it could be a bad thing. I would drain it when parked if it was my bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can confirm the US fuels causing problems with resin in the tank composition. Best option is to use POR-15 or visit your favorite aircraft supply shop to get the slosh material they use in their tanks.

Also this problem isn't 100% just with resin-based tanks. I've seen some older racecar aluminum tanks (1100/3003 series material) have problems with the new fuels. Enough so they are etched -- but now coated with POR-15 to prevent further damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I put my 75 900ss back on the road after it sat in the shed for 12 yrs and did use a
tank sealer because of the petrol.It's been on the road for over a year now with no problem.Don't take the risk it's easy to do.
Cheers Andy.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I would absolutely line it before using it. Make sure you get the ENTIRE tank though, the fumes cause damage too - some of the tanks I've seen have the paint bubbling on the top.

All that said... to me it's not worth the hassle - I go with metal tanks...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I kinda was thinking of doing this kbs-coatings sealer it says that is can be used on fiberglass tanks, and plus it's preffered 4-1 over por-15 so I just can't go wrong....
I've used por-15 before and has worked great on metal tanks, but from what I've read on thier web site can't find any info sayimng it can be used on fiberglass. The KBS-coating say it can..

Thanks for the input....

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Just curious - preferred 4-1 by whom?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts