Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fello Multi Owners,

::pictures attached::
I recently took my multi in for the 15k mile service and installation of two new tires. I recieved a call from the service department manager stating I had a crack in my front fork where it clamps down the front axle. I have had my bike for just over two years and did buy the extended warranty however I wanted to get your opinion on how you think this crack occured. :confused:

I use my bike for my daily commute from work to home that is mostly highway and local streets. I do not ride wheelies or go offroad any time.

I am open to any opinion however I wanted to see if my "opinion" is the same as the rest of the community. Please review the pictures attached to this thread and let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Someone overtightened those bolts to the wrong specs!

·
Registered
5,909 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
My opinion is the same as everyone else. if you have never touched those bolts can't be your problem. on a second look crack is clean. kick you dealers mechanic in the balls until he admits. ducati shouldn't have to pay for your dealers screw up. Your service manager is either incompetent or thinks your an idiot to try to pass this off.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
ducati shouldn't have to pay for your dealers screw up. Your service manager is either incompetent or thinks your an idiot to try to pass this off.

That. I'd be on the horn to the service manager first. I'd be telling him it is his mess to clean up and that the next call you WILL be making (no 'ifs') is to the dealership's owner. And that WILL be followed closely by a call to DNA. It is not f'ing rocket scientist level work.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
please clarify something, OP. You say 15k service and two new tires. Who did the last set of tires and when? After the 6k service? Who did the last set of tires and when? Who would have last taken a wrench to those bolts and when?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Agree to all the foregoing. Bolts were overtightened, it cannot be dynamic load or similar bs stories that have caused this.

A way to check is to tighten the bolts on the LH fork leg. Check at what Nm you can further tighten them, starting at the factory prescribed torque and increase by 1 Nm at the time to see at what torque they start moving. Undoing the bolts with a torque wrench is also possible but IMHO less accurate.

Check who was the last one that touched the front axle - dealer or tyre centre or ...? Often the tyre centres don't know which torque to apply and they just use 'experience' and what I call 'elbow steam' which are the most unreliable torque wrenches ever heard of.

Let us know how you progress please, thanks,

·
Registered
423 Posts
You and the mechanic/dealer will need to inspect the broken parts, preferably together. Is the metal clean and bright? If so, the break was recent or very recent or immediately recent. You can back out who might have overtightened the bolts. If there is dirt or grit and whatnot in the broken pieces, then the fracture occurred some time ago and it is not this dealer experience that did it. Freshly exposed metal is clean.
Sorry to hear about this :mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wanted to say thank you for all of your opinions and I always turn to you all for the community opinion. I have already had it out with the owner of the dealership and will soon have it out with the service manager. I wanted to see if my common sense was actually common sense or if I was just angry due to the $2700.00 fork that needs replaced that they are trying to push off on the warranty company instead of accepting the responsibility and fixing the problem.

I always tell my kids "small lies turn into big lies"

The same service department tech's that discovered the crack are the same that installed the tire 7k miles ago. The shop is all inclusive and doesn't have a separate tire center.

I am a "principles" type of person and this goes against most principles Ducati owners have. If you spend the money on a killer product like Ducati then the dealership should treat the customers with the same dignity.

Thank you to everyone and I am welcome to more COI opinions on this matter.

Very Respectfully,

TheRnningMn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
please clarify something, OP. You say 15k service and two new tires. Who did the last set of tires and when? After the 6k service? Who did the last set of tires and when? Who would have last taken a wrench to those bolts and when?
The same dealership has installed two sets of tires and the last set was installed 7k miles ago. They are the only shop let alone hands to touch any bolt or nut installed on my multi since I purchased it two years ago other than the Arrow exhaust I put on myself. I always figured if I let some non trained hands touch my bike I couldn't hold anyone accountable and now that has paid off and will hopefully prevail in my case.

I hope I was able to to clear up any questions. Thanks again for your input its much appreciated!

Vr,

TheRnningMn

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
That's a bit scary. After reading your posting earlier, I immediately headed to the garage and checked mine to be sure it hadn't done the same. Thankfully all is well. I would be interested in knowing what the official conclusion of your findings are. Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
That. I'd be on the horn to the service manager first. I'd be telling him it is his mess to clean up and that the next call you WILL be making (no 'ifs') is to the dealership's owner. And that WILL be followed closely by a call to DNA. It is not f'ing rocket scientist level work.
I think the call to DNA should be made right now. They should not back a dealer or service department that doesn't stand behind it's work. Clearly the pinch bolts were over tightened and since the service department did the last work it's quite clear who over tightened them.

Good luck!

·
7,733 Posts
...I was just angry due to the $2700.00 fork that needs replaced ...
I hope that was for fork*s* and not a fork. :eek:

I don't think one could prove beyond doubt how or where it was done, and am amazed that everybody is so ready to blame the tech who replaced the wheel as opposed to a defect in materials...scheez...maybe it was a defective fork. :)

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
This brings up a good point. I was wondering if you had contacted Ohlins USA regarding your situation, and if it comes to an impasse, could the affected piece be replaced? It appears it's pressed onto the fork sliders. The Ducati fische shows the forks as a complete assembly, and Ohlins doesn't have a parts breakdown on their site. It might be worth a call.

828-692-4525 ext. 308 Matt Sage Ohlins USA

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
This brings up a good point. I was wondering if you had contacted Ohlins USA regarding your situation, and if it comes to an impasse, could the affected piece be replaced? It appears it's pressed onto the fork sliders. The Ducati fische shows the forks as a complete assembly, and Ohlins doesn't have a parts breakdown on their site. It might be worth a call.

828-692-4525 ext. 308 Matt Sage Ohlins USA
Yes, you can change the alloy casting at the lower end of the tube. It is a fairly simple job, actually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stryder,

Yes you could definitely be correct with the parts being defective. That is why I turned to you all for answers hoping someone or a group of multi owners that may of had the same problem in the past. Doesn't appear that way however I am sure it will get lined out tomorrow. Thanks again for your input!

Willie B,

Negative I had even thought about doing this as of yet. I was just cooling off and trying to figure out the best approach for getting it fixed. I hope the dealership will come correct and provide the way forward in the morning. I may provide them the phone number etc. Thank you for providing the contact information as it will definitely come in handy.

I assumed the fork had to be bought as one piece due to the fische showing it as a whole and also looking around the web at different ducati dealerships only offering the whole piece. $2700.00 vs. a few hundred would make anyone's day better

Oleary,

Thank you for that bit of information! Should make this job a whole lot less expensive to which ever business actually gets the bill for it.

Thanks again for your input as this method of replacing the cast piece would be a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
There was a recall on 2010 SF-S for a stress crack that could appear at this place. Some mfg numbers had a fork leg replaced.

So it may be a casting problem. I can't see a mechanic working on bikes all day tightening these bolts like the rear hub nut.

I'm amazed at all the "call DNA!" ... "call Ohlins" ... "Sue them all"...

Let the dealer resolve the problem and that's it ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts