Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently come to the hard decision to sell my beloved super enhanced 03' ST4, due to the fact it's just too special of a bike to be used as a 15k+ mile a year daily rider, and I just can't swing buying a second bike. I've been running Shinko verge tires with tremendous luck, the road holding and mileage has proven to be better than anything I've experienced with Pilot Road tires, amazingly enough. Nevertheless, I realize that not everyone shares my opinion and some might feel it's sac religious to put Shinko's on any Ducati especially one of this level. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the general feeling/experience that you all have and whether you think it's worthwhile for me to replace my current thrashed set of Shinko's before trying to sell and price accordingly. My feeling is that many might want to save some money on the purchase price of a bike and be able to put on their tires of choice, especially in the case of Shinko's. On the contrary, I can see someone wanting a bike that's totally ready to go right out of the gate.

I just want to say it's been an absolute pleasure being on this forum, it's easily one of the best out there! Just another thing I'll miss when my Italian beauty is gone.:frown2:

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Wow. That bike gets handed around like a blank in a blank.

Sorry to see you go.

If you are going to pass along the replacement cost straight up, I'd probably just ask the purchaser what they would prefer to do and state that option in the listing.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. That bike gets handed around like a blank in a blank.

Sorry to see you go.

If you are going to pass along the replacement cost straight up, I'd probably just ask the purchaser what they would prefer to do and state that option in the listing.

Have a good one.
Yeah, I catch your drift, and it does through no fault of it's own, deserves to be in a forever home much more. I'd be buried with this thing if money weren't such a factor these days, definitely one of my best and all time favorite bikes. The fact that I put on 6k miles in the first 3 months shows it must be!

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
I know the feeling. Fishmonger wanted to sell it to me, but it would have killed him to see me ride it daily in all types of weather.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
depends on the buyer. your typical mouthy arsehole will use it as much as anything else they can think of to trash talk it. those who aren't won't think anything of it i'd say.

the option to fit their preference would be welcomed by some, again mr mouthy will have an issue with whatever you fit.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You may not get your money back, but I'd expect a quicker sale if you can advertise "new tires". Shinko might turn some people off, but a new one would still be a better selling point than a baloney skin.

I haven't run Shinkos on my Ducatis, but I have used them on other projects with good luck. My main complaint is that they sometimes take more weight to balance. Sometimes a lot more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've recently come to the hard decision to sell my beloved super enhanced 03' ST4, due to the fact it's just too special of a bike to be used as a 15k+ mile a year daily rider, and I just can't swing buying a second bike. frown2:
I'm sorry, but this just seems like silliness to me. It's a machine. It was built to be ridden. Nothing is that special. You'd rather sell it than ride it because it's too special. Okay then.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
You may not get your money back, but I'd expect a quicker sale if you can advertise "new tires". Shinko might turn some people off, but a new one would still be a better selling point than a baloney skin.
I agree. The bike will show better with fresh tires. Where the need for maintenance records is deemed so important when buying a used Duc, having a set of clapped out Chinese tires wouldn't help your case! Look for a set of Angel STs, or a similar tire not in the latest greatest category, and be done with it. Fresh poplar tires and a good cleaning will help a lot IMHO.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm sorry, but this just seems like silliness to me. It's a machine. It was built to be ridden. Nothing is that special. You'd rather sell it than ride it because it's too special. Okay then.
Yes, it's a machine and it's built to be ridden, but it just seems silly to me to use a Ferrari, especially one of this level, as a daily driver, especially with the extra maintenance. It's way to special of a bike to ever have corners cut on the maintenance in the name of saving money. I've done really well maintaining her up to this point, but I really don't have the money or time to keep a Desmo Ducati up in the long run at 15k a year. If I could purchase a primary everyday bike in addition and just use the Duc on the weekends, it would be totally different. She's in tip top shape (outside the tires) and it's spring, seems to me to be as good as ever of a time before I rack up even more miles.

If anyone lives by the moto that a bike is built to be ridden it's me. Every street bike I've sold had over 30k and I was the one that put a majority of those miles on in a few years. In 9 months, I think I've already put on about as many miles as any of the previous owners who owned the bike for 3 years or more, a lot more in some cases.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Shinko - isn't that Korean for low-side? :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! On the FZ1 forum there are a lot of opinions about tires, and the above is one of the jabs. One of my friends on that board runs Shinkos and he loves them. A former racer, he's also one of the faster riders I've come across.

If the choice was mine to make, I'd lean toward replacing the tires, whether they're Shinkos or not. When I test rode my ST3 it had the original 5 year old Bridgestones mounted, which where hard as can be and handled like crap. I used the tires as negotiation point to drop the price by $1K. Potential buyers may prefer a different tire, but it's not a safety issue that they would have to deal with immediately.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Yes, it's a machine and it's built to be ridden, but it just seems silly to me to use a Ferrari, especially one of this level, as a daily driver, especially with the extra maintenance.

Friends of mine have both a LaFerrari and a 918. Both are driven all the time. Around town, on long trips, and on track (and to/from).

Just throwing that out there.......

As for the Shinkos, if they're serviceable, leave them on but allow for some haggling.

When I run out of tires (two sets ready to be mounted soon), I may give them a go just to see what the fuss is all about.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Friends of mine have both a LaFerrari and a 918. Both are driven all the time. Around town, on long trips, and on track (and to/from).

Just throwing that out there.......

As for the Shinkos, if they're serviceable, leave them on but allow for some haggling.

When I run out of tires (two sets ready to be mounted soon), I may give them a go just to see what the fuss is all about.
If they can swing all the extra and money and time for up keep, then more power to them.

As for the Shinko's, they're sure worth a try. However, I did notice that they have gone up in price to around $200 for the set. Not the hefty $100 or so savings they used to be over the comparable name brand stuff, but still not bad. The only downsides I've noticed is the noticeable weight increase (haven't while ridding) and the front profile on the Verge doesn't have the most linear turning characteristics. Some might be a bit sketched out by the way the bike falls into corners, nothing you can't adapt and get used to though.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not to pile on, but STs have been my daily commuters and long distance bikes for the last ~nine years. Hard pressed to find a better all around bike for the type of riding I do. BTW, my bike is special to me :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
From the previous page:

It's way to special of a bike to ever have corners cut on the maintenance in the name of saving money. I've done really well maintaining her up to this point, but I really don't have the money or time to keep a Desmo Ducati up in the long run at 15k a year. If I could purchase a primary everyday bike in addition and just use the Duc on the weekends, it would be totally different. She's in tip top shape (outside the tires) and it's spring, seems to me to be as good as ever of a time before I rack up even more miles.

If anyone lives by the moto that a bike is built to be ridden it's me. Every street bike I've sold had over 30k and I was the one that put a majority of those miles on in a few years. In 9 months, I think I've already put on about as many miles as any of the previous owners who owned the bike for 3 years or more, a lot more in some cases.

I really don't know what more I can say. Obviously, some of you have decided to take my comment about if being too special of a bike and completely run with it and then some, apparently either totally disregarding everything else I've said or ignore all together.

I have no doubt the St4 is an awesome everyday bike if you can deal with the 2 major services a year that comes from everyday use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think it is a special bike. I sent a link to a friend out west that may be interested.

:)--jb

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sell the Ducati, buy a car. Sounds like it will suit your style better. Having a Ducati and not riding it cause its special is like being married to Sofia Vergaria and not F***, ING her in case she loosens up too much. BTW an ST4 is not that special anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Not ridding it because is't too special? Like I said before, I put 6k miles on it in the first 3 months I had it, or did you miss that along with everything else?

If the logic about a car suiting my style held up, then I guess I should have stuck to cars for the last 30 years/10 years roadracing/2 dozen bikes before I got a Ducati. Thanks, but personally, I'll stick to riding motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
be careful, your possessions could end up owning you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
be careful, your possessions could end up owning you.

Well, I think I've lost that battle. My love for motorcycles AND riding has no doubt contributed to some financial headaches in my daily life, but...It's the only way I know how to live. Nevertheless, I need to be realistic about what I have the time and/or money for at the rate I rack up miles, hence my difficult decision to have to let one of the best ever go. If it were half those miles a year and just one valve check/adjustment a year, it would be different.

Getting back to the reason for posting my thread, I've went ahead and ordered some more Verge tires. At the very least, I'll probably need to put them on soon given the fact the miles on the bike go up daily.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts