Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hayden 848 should be back from the shop next week, after it's tipover incident where I had a dog run into the front of me a few weeks back.

Upon it's return to me in it's original condition, it will also have:

New CRG levers
Shift-Tech CF Front fender
Shift-Tech CF side panels/airbox covers
Shift-Tech CF Exhaust heat shield
Shift-Tech CF Ram air duct covers
Ducati Performance CF ignition key cover
Ohlins steering damper

I am considering adding some nice rear sets to go with the rest of the bling. I kinda like the more simple looks of the Woodcraft set. Would get it in gunmetal finish.

Anyone use these? How do you like them? Are there are others in that <$450 range that are better?

I don't need so much adjustment, I just want something a bit stronger, and nicer looking to go with everything else on the bike.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Tough one...

I really like my Attack Performance rearsets, but the CRG ones are very good too.

And while my next step will probably be the super Blingy NCR Titanium, you really can't say anything bad about the Rizoma's, Lightechs (which can be ordered with folding pegs by the way), heck even the Woodcraft and Vortex aren't bad!

You can see many of your rearset options here - http://bellissimoto.com/RearSetsIndex.html

·
Registered
16,908 Posts

ACCULIGN Rearsets with Shift Lever: 1098/848 . I put these onour project bike originally. It has a lot of adjustment.

MS 1098/848 "Corse" Rear Sets: Street - I'm using these now in the Race version. The street version has folding toe piece on the shifter. The reverse lever clears the fairing the best of all levers. Both have folding footpegs that can be pinned so they don't fold.

MW 1098/848 Billet Rear Sets . At $299 it was the best deal. It's available with a matching clutch cover

SP Billet Rearsets: 1198-848 Well made. Not very common.

I tried the CRG rearsets: 848/1098/1198 - but I thought the footpeg flexed too much.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, there are some really nice looking rearsets to pick from.

One concern that I have is that the tabs mounting the rearset to the frame are notoriously weak on these bikes. Very easy to snap off or bend on a low side.

So, I would rather have a $500 rearset break or bend, than the tabs on the frame, as getting the frame repaired is far more expensive!

So to that end, any suggestions?

Maybe use whichever rearset I want, but get softer aluminum bolts to mount them to the frame? It maybe even use an aluminum bolt on just the peg, so that will snap off first, and is the cheapest and easiest to replace?

Idears?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Some people think folding pegs are the answer but once the peg folds up --the tabs bend next. That is what happened to my 999S with stock rear sets.

Most rear sets with solid pegs will break off when enough force is applied. The eccentric type footpegs usually break off at the eccentric.

I would not use aluminum bolts to attach rear sets. Bent frame tabs can happen as a result of an accident but it is not that common and can often be bent back or replaced. You don't want broken bolts to be the cause of the accident...

-M

·
Registered
326 Posts
+Uno on the Acculigns. After buying my 848 I walked into my local Ducati shop and inquired about Woodcraft rearsets at the parts counter. I pretty much got the...." :rolleyes: don't waste your money" response. After that I shopped around and encountered a few other Ducati owners that had invested in the Acculigns. All the Acculign reviews were positive so I dropped by Motowheels one day and bought 'em.....surprisingly cheap!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=67821

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking that the best bang for the buck is the complete MW set. Looks nicer than the Woodcrafts, and around the same price, actually are a tad cheaper. Thinking of ordering the "Gunmetal" color, with the billet shifter and brake lever for $339 with the extra spacers...

Anyone else have them?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There seems to be an issue with the MotoWheels website. When I add my info and go to check out, I get a 404 error...

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I am thinking that the best bang for the buck is the complete MW set. Looks nicer than the Woodcrafts, and around the same price, actually are a tad cheaper. Thinking of ordering the "Gunmetal" color, with the billet shifter and brake lever for $339 with the extra spacers...

Anyone else have them?
I bought them in black and used them for a little while about 2 years ago.

They are not bad at all, I just didn't like that they only had the heal guard on one side (and as my bike evolved, I started splitting hairs, so to say), all in all I give em a thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought them in black and used them for a little while about 2 years ago.

They are not bad at all, I just didn't like that they only had the heal guard on one side (and as my bike evolved, I started splitting hairs, so to say), all in all I give em a thumbs up.
I was curious about the heel guard myself. Why only one side?

Luckily, I am putting on the carbon fiber heat shield from Shift Tech, so I assume that it will suffice and keep my boot off of the pipe?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went with the Silver Woodcraft set, with the shifter and brake lever.

Seemed like the best bang for the buck. I almost got the MS set, but the fact that one side doesn't have a heel guard, means that my shiny new carbon fiber heat shield would end up getting all scratched up from my boots. So I went with the Woodcrafts.

I will report back on how they work out, and include pics.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post some pictures, nice stuff you got there .:)
Yeah, most everything going on that is CF is from you guys. Paul raves about the quality of your stuff.

Which reminds me, we were expecting it to arrive at NPR today, but didn't see it. Was it sent out last week? Thursday I think?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, got everything installed, just waiting on the glue for the CF tail inserts to cure, so I can clean up the excess.

Everything looks great, I will take some pics tomorrow when it is light out.

Slight fitment of one part, the left side airbox cover. The front two screw holes were slightly off, took a bit of work to get them aligned enough to get them seated, but that happens pretty often with aftermarket fairings and stuff.

Got it all on, looks great!

Just need my damper and rearsets and I will be golden. After that, gonna convert the bike to a dry clutch for that proper Ducati sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts