Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a mint 2000 900ss with 1500 miles on it, Ducati performance hi slip ons. I have a couple of questions. Owner says he has complete maintenance history, but how much would there be with only 1500 miles? I have a GT1000 and am familiar with Ducati maintenance, but what type of initial cost do you think I'll need with a bike that has obviously sat more than rode? He is looking for $6300.00, seems high? And finally, how do you like the bike?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the MY 2000 has the 3 spoke wheels and aluminum ladder
swingarm design, and a cheap rear suspension, i would prefer
the 2003 modell with banana swingarm and Öhlins shock.
the 5 spokes came with 2001, i would not go without them,
although it is a visual thing, as i could not note any difference
with riding both styles.

i think it is pretty expensive, some more miles won't hurt,
who needs service history with these bikes, i don't, i would
try to get a SS1000DS with around 10 K miles and be fine
with it.
the 900 got to be revved hard all the time to keep up with
the 1000 DS, both nice bikes though.

:think:

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
The 2001 or later is probably better. Like Muschi wrote, 2000 has 3 spoke and 2001 5 spoke. the 5 spoke is lighter. 2001 saw other improvements, such as Ohlins rear damper, improved EFI map ....

This is an article about what they did in 2001.
http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2001/Ducati/2001SuperSport.htm

1500 miles - probably only had the first service. In kM, my first service after running in was 1000 kM and the next service at 10,000 kM, so circa 6,000 miles.

Price in Australia, according to redbook.com.au private sale price is US$6 to 7k, but advertised bikes with many more miles than the one you are looking at are around US$ 10 to 11k Our market is much smaller than the US. Original price was around US$15k at currents exchange rate.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
over here in europe, these bikes sell new for 3700 u.k. pounds now,
these are 900 S modells with steel swingarm and non adjustable
suspension though.

you can get a pretty low mileage SS1000DS for 3600 Euros now,
that is ~33% of the former list price, which was at 10.800 Euros once.

Öhlins rear shock for the SS900 i.e. for 2003 only as far as i know,
same with the banana swingarm.

i had a 5 spoke yellow 2001 SS900, that had no Öhlins but a showa
rear shock.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
$6,300? Yes, that's pretty high. $4,000-$4,500 is much more reasonable, I would consider $3,500 a steal for an '00 900 Supersport. It's a 10 year old bike.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all for your advise. This is the bike:

He also has the stock rear seat set up and a cover with it. I'm thinking to offer 5k for it and see what happens.
Also, what do you think of the stock riding position, mirror usefulness ect. ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
It would be like your 675, maybe a little less weight on the Hands also a little more legroom. The mirrors due get a little blurred under load. Looks like a nice bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think $4.5-5k is about right. Looks very clean. The miles are quite low, so that bumps the value a bit. Every market is a bit different.

I dunno. I don't like paying to much. But then again there are some bikes that I have let go because I thought the owner wanted a bit to much, then kicked myself later for not buying! The mint condition white framed 92 900SS that sold for $3500 comes to mind......:eek::mad:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been on the market for quite some time now. I shot him an email about the bike along with NADA prices on good condition with pipes showing at $4,200.00. Since the bike is like new, I'll offer him $5,000.00 and that's it. I don't mind blurry mirrors as long as they show whats behind me every now and then. Stock position on the 675 was a little difficult for street but probably great for track. I'll do some research on different bar/clip ons to see if they are available still before I jump. Thanks for your input guys!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I'll do some research on different bar/clip ons to see if they are available still before I jump. Thanks for your input guys!
the clip-ons on the supersport i.e. aren't that radical positioned,
as that they would need to be raised in my opinion.

try to adjust the steering range of the fork rather tight, and have
the clip-ons pulled back until they almost touch the tank helps a
lot if you aren't too tall.

this is no chopper after all.

:cool:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the clip-ons on the supersport i.e. aren't that radical positioned,
as that they would need to be raised in my opinion.

try to adjust the steering range of the fork rather tight, and have
the clip-ons pulled back until they almost touch the tank helps a
lot if you aren't too tall.

this is no chopper after all.

:cool:
True that, home boy. From memory, this bike was pretty easy compared to the wrist breakers I've owned. Nothing beats the racing position when getting off the seat and really using the bike as it was designed. Most bikes I put higher bars (Heli clip ons) were not the same and I put the stockers back on. In fact, I've always dropped height a bit on handle bar type bikes to get the position I'm more comfortable in. Great tips Muschi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Completely OT to the entire thread but does anyone know where one would find a rear seat cover like the one in the pic? Been looking for some ideas for the back of my '99 and a cover like that would make the "fabrication" a whole lot easier. TIA

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am not sure where you can get them now but I have one of those rear seat covers and a seat lock holder without the grab bar. The guy who sold me my 2000 gave them with it. I am not currently using it for several reasons. You lose the under seat compartment use, my bike is Ferrari red not Ducati red so the paint would be off, I have a Sargent seat and I don't believe it works with it.

I am debating whether or not to get rid of it. It's in very good condition, few scratches here and there from being stored but nothing you can't buff out. If you are interested or want some pics/info just shoot me a PM.

Not trying to jack the thread. Good looking buy but over priced. I would say closer to 5K. I am noticing that a 1999 900SS I have for sale is low in the market now. She only has about 9,500 miles on the clock. PM if you are interested in the 99 too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
End Game.

Sad to say, I tried to not offend the owner but offered him $5,000.00 for the bike. He was not happy at all and now has upped the price to $6,800.00. It is a great bike, but it is a 2000. For $400.00 more, I can buy an '09 Bonneville that'll run with it. Oh well, I tried.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sad to say, I tried to not offend the owner but offered him $5,000.00 for the bike. He was not happy at all and now has upped the price to $6,800.00. It is a great bike, but it is a 2000. For $400.00 more, I can buy an '09 Bonneville that'll run with it. Oh well, I tried.
Not to irritate our Triumph loving friends, but a current Bonneville won't run with an SS. Not enough power, too much weight and the handling isn't on the same level.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Good!!!

Hi brooksie, good that the game is over!!! You were going to be hammered!!! or anybody who pays $6800.00:eek: even $5000.00

+1 on Muschi's comment, I would start a new search for a good SS1000DS or another 2001+ 900ss if that's the one you like, and you will find it! You just have to be ready when opportunity knocks:D so that you don't end up kicking yourself like desmodisciple! (I know that feeling desmo!). Regarding the Triumph... No-no!!! Trust me... once you ride a Ducati you will understand what this is all about!! Ducati-Triumph? two complete different worlds!!! :D

Wait a little longer and get yourself a nice Duc that you feel you had gotten a great deal yourself!!! and then let the game begin!!!! :D

Good luck brooksie!

Vickon:abduct:

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
brooksie said:
He was not happy at all and now has upped the price to $6,800.00
Don't you get it, Brooksie? :think:

The guy doesn't want to sell at all; it's just that his wife / girlfriend / boyfriend is forcing him too. Why else would he increase the asking price on a bike that hasn't sold during the "quite a while" it has been for sale? It's a buyers market and if you're serious about selling, all you can do is lower the asking price.

I would like to sell or trade my Sport, but am not willing to take the hit the current market forces upon me, so I will happily continue to ride this bike.

RonB

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I emailed the owner last night and he is down to $5,300.00. Said he boosted the price on the internet to keep the amateurs away and keep his "boss" happy. Hmmm, I think you're on to him! We are close and from what I am seeing at this forum, they seem like fairly friendly bikes to own. I like air cooled Ducati. Has all the nice stuff on it. I'm gonna let him simmer down over the holidays and see if he will get real ($4,500.00). I figure I'll have to get it in and have the engine checked out (valves, belts ect.). The bike only has around 1700 miles on it so even with oil changes every year, it should get the full treatment, right?
If you Ducati riders have ANY input as to the character of the bike and things to look for or walk away from, please, PLEASE let me know while I sweat the seller. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts