Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of taking the plunge and buying another Ducati. Have a 2003 999 which I purchased in 2007. Over the years I've had a great time breaking the bank adding on all sorts of cool stuff.
But lately I've been thinking about buying a 1098R. The prices are reasonable now so it's enticing. I thought about grabbing an 1198 base and doing the mod thing all over again, but this time I would like it with all the good stuff from the factory.....
So any positives or negatives about the 1098R would be appreciated...

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Apparently the 1098R is a complete animal, and set up very well. It's a dream bike for me. maybe one day.

·
Bon Vivant
10,961 Posts
Thinking of taking the plunge and buying another Ducati. Have a 2003 999 which I purchased in 2007. Over the years I've had a great time breaking the bank adding on all sorts of cool stuff.
But lately I've been thinking about buying a 1098R. The prices are reasonable now so it's enticing. I thought about grabbing an 1198 base and doing the mod thing all over again, but this time I would like it with all the good stuff from the factory.....
So any positives or negatives about the 1098R would be appreciated...
I've been looking at 1098R's myself and about to pull the trigger on one.
There are quite a few differences from a standard 1098 - sandcast cases, a lighter rear subframe with no provisions for a passenger seat, titanium engine parts, different pistons, cams, rods, valves, and much more involved valve adjustments.
I've been told that the early 08's had transmission problems (they also have different ratio gearing in 4th, 5th, and 6th) and there was an upgrade introduced about mid year. You can have the vin checked to see if the bike has the old or new trans.

The different valve collets are much more difficult and more costly to adjust but I've been told that they hold adjustment better than the standard mechanism.

All of this is great but I've never owned one - it would be nice to hear from an R owner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want one just to get one, there's no downsides to it as long as you can afford to fix it if it breaks. Mine has been all hard track miles and I have had zero problems.

·
Registered
749 Posts
After four+ years, street and track, zero reliability issues here as well. There's a tallness to 4th gear that isn't optimal for the way I ride, but dang, that's about the only "wish" I can think of. As an owner was given a pass to the Ducati paddock at Tooele. Bayless had just come in and techs were taking the bike apart. Was asked not to take any close-up photos. Sure looked like the bike I was very familiar with. Bologna mentioned as R bikes goes, the 1098R came closer to what was raced than any R bike previously. Of course there still is a huge gap, but nevertheless. Anyway, it is a special bike... from the saddle, and from a distance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
As a trackday rider only, the thing that would concern me about an R would be the titainiam parts. The increase in performance these parts provide does not offset the replacement cost of the valve,rods etc. Compounded by the fact that these components have a shorter life than stainless steel. I went through this when I had a 996RS trackbike. Got REAL expensive on rebuild.For a streetbike probably doesn't matter,but if its a streetbike do you really need 170HP instead of 160HP?There is the cool/rarity factor of an R though:D

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting feedback...I would not be tracking it, street only. Over the last month or so it seems I've seen one every other day some where....:D, the more I see, the more I like it, the more I want one....
It began as a choice between a 999R and 1098R, but I think if the price was right I would like to move on from the 999 series and pick up a 1098R.
I understand the fuel tank issue's are hit and miss....
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Interesting feedback...I would not be tracking it, street only. Over the last month or so it seems I've seen one every other day some where....:D, the more I see, the more I like it, the more I want one....
It began as a choice between a 999R and 1098R, but I think if the price was right I would like to move on from the 999 series and pick up a 1098R.
I understand the fuel tank issue's are hit and miss....
Thanks guys!
How about a 1198S Corse it has aluminum take? I have 1 for sale.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2010 1198R for me. I was a little disappointed with the comparison reviews the Panigale got - too peaky and too hot.
I just read the Motorcyclist review and overall the testers didn't seem to care very much for it. The BMW again won the shootout. It was said that the exhaust routing caused heat issue's with the seat and legs...and that doesn't surprise me as the exhaust is very, very compact under the rider area.
RRW IMO didn't give the 1199 a very kind review, but they are Ducati haters.
Let's see how the 1199 shakes out where it means something to Ducati-in WSBK and hopefully AMA....where it could be a world beater.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There Is a couple of teams running the panigale in BSB . Jentin Doodson and Moto Rapido . Looks like Jentin Doodson have dropped it this weekend for the Honda . Its been at the back of the grid since day one . Decent riders that should be much further up . http://www.britishsuperbike.com/teams/2012-elite-teams.aspx

·
Bon Vivant
10,961 Posts
That is an awesome photo!

If it didn't have that ugly tank bag on it it would be my new desktop background... but it does and it's not

BTW I may have some news of my own by this time tomorrow :abduct:

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is an awesome photo!

If it didn't have that ugly tank bag on it it would be my new desktop background... but it does and it's not

BTW I may have some news of my own by this time tomorrow :abduct:
Thanks Flynn.
I really enjoyed your post.
If it didn't somehow fail at the end, I would have sent you the copy without the tank bag. But it did, so I didn't.

Lol. :)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great pics! See that's why the R strikes a cord with me....solid blood red, gold Ohlins, white number plates, subtle badging and the gold wheels...which I really like because their not "blingy" gold, but again subtle. Add a few carbon bits and all adds up to a fantastic looking Ducati superbike. I think the only other Ducati I would consider would be an 1198SP....as it's not over the top livery wise and not a race replica which IMO can ruin the look of a road going Ducati.
They only issue would be the tank, I thought the 1098R came with an aluminum tank, not plastic-so it could cause future issues. But I understand the problem is hit or miss and not all Ducs suffer tank expansion issues.
But it would be hard to let my 999 go after I spent all the $$$ on the engine to allow it perform better than a 1098S and 999R....I'm hoplessly attached to the stupid thing....:)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Simple, keep the 999 and get a base 1198.

More than enough grunt plus have ability to spend $$$ on it later.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts