Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I’m thinking to spice things up a bit for my track bike sessions. Intermediate group rider, 2-4 days a year and coming from a 999R and S.

I have been looking at 1199S and just warmed up to the 1098/1198 models.

Questions: which bike would you pick:

1) 1098S with Ohlines and aftermarket traction control

2) early 1199 std with Ducati electronic package (say ‘12-‘14) or

3) newer 959

Never rode a bike with any electronics, hence I’m intrigued to a new bike type change.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS: i do like to service all of my bikes (valves and belts). How much of DIY bikes are the 959 or 1199?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I would say that the 1098/1198 is too similar to your R to make it worth changing for, unless you feel that the extra 10-15 hp of the 1198, and some more torque, is going to make you faster. I would speculate it would just make things more of a handful at the track
The total shift in chassis design of the Panigale series, along with the more modern electronics, would make the change rationally worth while in my mind. But if it were me I'd be giving the "unique", ei two stroke like, power characteristics of the 1199 a miss in favour of the more traditionally Ducati, torquey power characteristics of the 1299, along with the more modern electronics that bike has over the 1199
Is there a big difference price wise between an 1199 and a 1299?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
No belts, longer service interval for the valves which if it's for track days you will not have to worry about for ages!!!

Seriously good bike, good electronics, plenty of power and the suspension, probably won't be anywhere near what you need, they never are, but easy to sort, lots of good options.

Cornering ABS is a game changer for the track, you can cheat and lean on the brake all the way to the apex then fire out the other side....the QS is nice (does the 959 have up and down?) and the other electronics like wheelie control and slide control just add a safety net allowing you to go faster, safer.

Bigger bikes are harder work, I get fatigued pretty quick on big bikes, I ride a CBR600RR track bike and I can ride it all day without getting too stuffed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would also consider if you are going to keep the 999? The 999 is a better chassis out the box but a 848/1#98 chassis works very well once the geometry issues are addressed. The 1098 will be too similar to the 999 and may not be justifiable. The 1198 is an animal on the track. Again, once you addrsss the geometry. The 1198 and the 1199 are so very different on the track. The 1198 makes you work for it as opposed to the 1199, which is stupid fast compared to the former. However, as another mentioned, the 1299 has it all while still retaining a bit of pedigree. The 1299 has superior geomtery compared to the 1199, better midrange, offering better ride-ability with less effort.
The electronic suspension on the 1199 can be a painfully time-consuming effort to setup, of course depending on how much you want to get out of it, where as the 1299 slightly improved.
I would strongly consider a base model 1299 and build the suspension to your liking with the extra coin saved.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Spice it up. That could mean a lot of things. I've not ridden the 959, but I would probably take that from the bikes on the list, but I don't think any of these will make you go faster if that is what you are after. Maybe I would take the 1198, maybe.

I'll hopefully take The Time Machine out a few times this year. At 112hp it should still keep up in advanced.

I didn't prefer the 1199 mid-range. It reminded me of the 748. If I want a bike with a power band like the 1199, I would sooner pick up one of the Japanese liter bikes. (Any one of them) Also, the 1199 doesn't crash well.

If someone said, pick one bike now or die, I would probably go with an Aprilia RSV4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts