Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance to try out this clutch mod that some of the members have been raving about. Presently I'm running a Paulimoto basket w/ a Barnett clutch pack, FBF pressure plate, TPO springs w/ billet caps and titanium screws.
I removed the first of two metal disks that rest against the basket and replaced one w/ a used friction disk. Had trouble getting the tangs to fit the basket so I used a Dremel to round off the top of the tang and clean it up. This enabled each tang to fit tighter into each basket slot....lot of work, but perfect fit! Added the second metal disk, then a friction, metal and so on.
Replaced the pressure plate and springs, started it up......ah....all that tinging, metallic sound was gone....which was excaserbated by the Paulimoto basket. Can really hear the exhaust rumble now...and you can still hear a nice little clutch chatter...plus it seemed to smooth out the clutch engagement! Super easy modification that works well!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think the halls of wisdom still has the detailed directions but a sound clipp would be cool too.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reducing the clutch noise? Now, that's just not right.
No, no...it's still there, but you can also hear the big L-Twin rumble and pop away at idle. So you have the best of both worlds! You can always remove the part if it kills the clutch chatter too much.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sounds interesting! I'll have to try it!

Yet from my 888SPO in 1993 to the 2 748's and the 996sps track bike the noise becomes a pain.

Now on the 2006 999S, I run a thick cyclecat aluminum cover to block out the noise, I still have the termi pipes, and that's enough for a mild street bike, for an old man..........*smile*

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sounds interesting! I'll have to try it!

Yet from my 888SPO in 1993 to the 2 748's and the 996sps track bike the noise becomes a pain.

Now on the 2006 999S, I run a thick cyclecat aluminum cover to block out the noise, I still have the termi pipes, and that's enough for a mild street bike, for an old man..........*smile*
Say it ain't so, man! This is what I have to look forward to as I age, getting to the point where the italian aria of the dry clutch sounds like noise? This is almost too much to bear.... Perhaps this is why James, Jim, Jimmy, Janis,et al popped their mortal coil at such a young age.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea, it seems somewhat logical but without any advantage, Ill keep mine rattling. At first I wasnt a big fan of it but now I really enjoy the sound.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Id be curious to know if there is any wear and tear advantage to a quite clutch mod?
Well the clanking comes from the free play between the friction disks and the clutch basket. The tighter the fit, the less clanking. It's the clanking or battering of the tangs that causes wear in this particulair area. Whether or not it effects wear on the clutch pack surfaces I have no idea....:think:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts