Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the head cover to do the valves just the other day, and found this (pictures below).
Are these normal signs of wear?
Interesting thing is that the openers are all within specs (~0,15), but the closers are all wrong (~0,20, I suspect they weren't updated). The horizontal head looks a lot better. Bike has 20.000 km, has some service records but nothing regarding the valves.

Is the valve job worth it or I should just buy new (old) heads?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I'm not going to comment about your spec notations. Been there, done that. As far as the wear patterns you are attempting to show in your pictures, I suspect they are normal discoloration and wear but the picture is not up to the task of presenting it. Don't scotchbrite the cams. If those sorta visible lines on the rockers are what you are talking about, if you can hang a fingernail in them, you may want to consider a replacement, otherwise follow BB suggestion for polishing them. NOS OEM replacements with the latest part numbers are on EBay, reasonable. High quality replated ones are available. The best way buy get $ buried is to buy them from the dealer. Swapping out the heads due to some rocker arm issues seems a little overkill. Good you asked though.

When you say valve job, that has a specific meaning but I think you mean dealing with the rocker arms and shim clearances. Since they are low mileage heads, unless you have some blown out guides or something, you are probably better sticking with what you have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

Yes, by valve job I meant indeed the rockers and the shim clearances, I'm sorry about that.
There are no issues with the heads/valves at all, I was just surprised to see those marks on the rockers and on the cams.

Thanks a lot, guys!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
The main thing is do those areas look and feel polished by contact versus wear. If they look and feel smooth and you can't feel roughness that's normal wear in any valve train. If it looks or feels like a scrape in the direction of rotation or if you feel any metal transfer from one part to the other, then you have issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are definitely smooth, no roughness at all. I just didn't expected to see that, plus the closers side don't look that bad at all. And then the horizontal cylinder cams/rockers also looks better. Less oil up there, who knows.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The largish closer clearances are not surprising. The dealers typically dont change the shims out if the clearances are withing a certain range. It is possible that the last time the clearances were checked, they were at the upper end of the range. Additional miles caused them to increase even more.
Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Possibly...
I will replace all closers anyway for tighter specs.

It's good to know, however, that even these "loose" specs are kinda OK.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The largish closer clearances are not surprising. The dealers typically dont change the shims out if the clearances are withing a certain range. It is possible that the last time the clearances were checked, they were at the upper end of the range. Additional miles caused them to increase even more.
Mike
...and there you have the rub in dealer servicing, leaving the customer bike to go out of spec, which is a performance spec because a little change in lift can be a big change in duration, sometimes shortly after leaving the shop.
Having experienced the performance and torque range shifts within but from one end of the specs to the other, it disgusts me. The dealer is missing an opportunity as well by not just telling the customer honestly that the specs are still in the range but barely and that they would need to greatly shorten the time to the next check. Maybe some do.
DESMO servicing is expensive and greatly responsible for the higher perceived cost of Ducati maintenance but the DESMO system part of what makes the Ducati experience. Fortunately, a company like EMSDUC is there to take the sting out of it for self servicers and even dealers.

I have seen threads where a customer insists on the adjustment and other commenters lambast them. There are two ways of looking at it. If the dealer has a neophyte doing shim adjustments, you might be better off without. Yet, not everybody has the skill or time to do a valve adjustment themselves so questioning the dealer's criteria for adjustment and the experience of the staff may be important as well as considering an independent with experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts