Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the amount of choices available on the web, I need some buying advise on what parts I'd need to have a "open cover" look?

Do I order just the pressure plate, SS springs and open cover? Is that all there is to it? My 749 is at the dealership now for tune-up. So before I get her back, I'm hoping to buy all the parts asap and want to get it right the 1st time?

Thanks fellas... now I know what my wife feels like when she's shopping for shoes? man, there's just too much choices available...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Depends on how far you want to go. The only thing you HAVE to get for the open look is the cover itself. The rest is just so what you see in there looks good also.

·
Registered
463 Posts
open cover - stainless springs minimum.

Other than that go with whatever company you like. Speedy moto, Rizoma, Mad Duc, Moto wheels, STM and others.

I went with the black speedy moto 5-Y vented with the red Kukri pressure plate, stainless springs and red retaining caps.

Jus' my $0.02 :)

Search the Archives for previous discussions.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the SS springs aren't necessary right off the bat.

and in all reality, they aren't 100% necessary at all. The regular springs will just get rusty, that's all.

becareful though on the springs.

For instance, we just bought two new slipper clutches from MotoWheels. I had a set of SS springs, and we bought a new set from MotoWheels for my husbands bike.

My springs didn't fit the new pressure plate, they were thicker over all than the holes that were drilled for the springs on the pressure plate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone... didn't think it would be

so difficult picking the cover, pressure plate, etc. But since my 749 is going through some work; this is the only time I could get this done. It's just surprising on the numerous choices available?

THANKYOU for the tips... i'll try to follow up with a pic when this little project is complete.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes you need the springs and the plate. With the oem plate, the rattle sounds a bitt dulled. I belive its because of the materials construction. With a new plate and springs you'll find its a more complete packege. besides why stick with the ugly plate. Its like putting lipstick on a bamboon and saying look everybody. Make it personel. Make it yours. The one hting I recommend when looking at pressure plates , flip them over, some like DP will have teeth all around the edge, some like PM may have teeth only in three spots. To me more teeth, less pressure on each tooth. BTW red fades with heat so go with another colour, or buy two!!!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I have an open cover, although the pressure plate etc is not particularly easy to see with the fairing in place - but I definitely can't see the plates & springs when the motor's running, I got an open cover to vent the clutch (and it sounds good too), don't really care what colour the pressure plate is.... :)

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Here is a Corse milled case, motowheels basket, SpeedyMoto Kukri and Cross protected cover

Im impartial to speedymoto, I have all of their parts on my bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Real simple for me, had no idea about color style so went to a local dealer and took what he had on the shelf, I think the color and asthetics match pretty good.....Speedymoto is the brand

Plate/springs/cups and cover all amounted to around 450.00

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I always worried about that too so I went with the "Ducati Performance" open clutch cover which is only open in the front behind the fairing. Obviously, you can't see the pressure plate spinning with the fairing on, but you do get the venting and tons of extra noise though. :D

I'd rather have the extra protection of a full/mostly full cover.

·
Registered
610 Posts
NOT TO WORRY, Don't wear tennys when riding! And if your feeling alittle squidy tuck them in.

BTW you won't have any shoe laces after the clutch is done with them!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Never, if your about 5'-10" like me with an inseam of ~32" when I stand up at a light my leg is usellay right on the open cover, I've even tried pushing my leg hard against and still not even a whinse of a scratch, I use a blue DP pressure under with SS springs and a Pauli moto spring retainer.

This is what my friend uses and frankly find no reason to have a product like this out!

·
Registered
610 Posts
hahahah DEATH BY CLUTCH!!! hahahahah thats funny bro

BEWARE OF THE CLAKETY CLACKTTTTT!!!hahahahahahha

The only death you'll feel is the cry of pain from your wallet when you can't get your self home after some chum hits your bike over and breaks one of your basket pegs!!!ohohohohahahahaha thats even funnier

At least then it would be an excuse to get a slipper clutch swap out!!! $3000 ahahaahaauuuuuhhhhhhh ugh!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
StavesacredarK said:
hahahah DEATH BY CLUTCH!!! hahahahah thats funny bro

BEWARE OF THE CLAKETY CLACKTTTTT!!!hahahahahahha

The only death you'll feel is the cry of pain from your wallet when you can't get your self home after some chum hits your bike over and breaks one of your basket pegs!!!ohohohohahahahaha thats even funnier

At least then it would be an excuse to get a slipper clutch swap out!!! $3000 ahahaahaauuuuuhhhhhhh ugh!

LOL yeah, I know... I have my OE setup for backup; my slipper unit only cost $900

I'm sure one of these days I'll kick myself in the ass, But I have yet so see a clutch cover really hold up in a crash

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.