Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 08 HM and after picking up some frame sliders, I'm now thinking of getting a nice pressure plate and clutch cover. The thing is, the right peg on the HM is mounted just outside the clutch plate, and I'm woried about geting my shoe laces chewed up by the clutch. Any one with open clutch covers want to chime in???

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I just picked up an 08 HM and after picking up some frame sliders, I'm now thinking of getting a nice pressure plate and clutch cover. The thing is, the right peg on the HM is mounted just outside the clutch plate, and I'm woried about geting my shoe laces chewed up by the clutch. Any one with open clutch covers want to chime in???
there are many open clutch cover designs on the market currently ... some are extremely open (just a wire frame), some are open only in the front, and all points in between.

if you are worried about the clutch basket eating your shoe/boot laces, you might try simply removing the rubber gasket on the stock clutch cover, and pop the spacers out of the gasket, then install the spacers when re-installing the clutch cover. this will allow air to flow through the clutch, and not offer a lot of opportunity for lace eating.

but, if you want to show off the bling new pressure plate, then you might consider a rizoma windowed clutch cover, which will show off the pressure plate, and only provides a small opening for laces to be chewed.

again, lots of choices out there ... just depends on what you are looking for.

happy shopping. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Or you could tie your shoes well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had the same concern and I went with this Paulimoto design. I can tell you I have had my laces eaten a bit even though this cover isnt too open.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
On mine, I use a Woodcraft cover, I don't wear shoes or boots with laces (except my Dohas, and I make sure to pull the laces to the outside and cover them with the Velcro strap), and I don't wear loose-fitting pants...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same concern and I went with this Paulimoto design. I can tell you I have had my laces eaten a bit even though this cover isnt too open.
Thaks for that info. to think I was considering a Speedymoto Flow!

Wow, I wouldn't even risk it, just get a clear one.
the Rizomas are spendy though... the other option is the star pattern Shift tech (or cutting vents into a closed cf cover), but I'm not sure if I should go with carbon-fiber -- I am worried I'd cream the clutch if it goes down, even with frame sliders.

[

·
Registered
339 Posts
the Rizomas are spendy though... the other option is the star pattern Shift tech (or cutting vents into a closed cf cover), but I'm not sure if I should go with carbon-fiber -- I am worried I'd cream the clutch if it goes down, even with frame sliders.
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/m...For=&collection=168|European Motorcycle Parts
Could this work for you? I realize it still has some wide open holes, but I think the positioning may fit to where the laces of your boots center on the middle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/m...For=&collection=168|European Motorcycle Parts
Could this work for you? I realize it still has some wide open holes, but I think the positioning may fit to where the laces of your boots center on the middle.
I think the holes on the bottom of the Scudo might be a problem. I think realistically, the choices are the Rizomas with the plexi window (kinda lame) and the haf-open fiberglass, which may expose the clutch on a fall... maybe I'll just cut holes on my stock cover, like I did on my Monster before I picked up the Cycle Cat (though in a different pattern).

I was really hoping the cheap billet covers from China would have been suitable;

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
I'm leaning towards Woodcraft for their durability and supposed crash worthiness. I do like the Rizoma for the bling factor, but I'd rather the strength. I'll be getting more crash protectors though to hopefully help along the way: axles, frame etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might try simply removing the rubber gasket on the stock clutch cover, and pop the spacers out of the gasket, then install the spacers when re-installing the clutch cover.
Nice! I'll have to try this out. I don't like the look of the open clutch cover but I do like the sound.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
On mine, I use a Woodcraft cover, I don't wear shoes or boots with laces (except my Dohas, and I make sure to pull the laces to the outside and cover them with the Velcro strap), and I don't wear loose-fitting pants...

I've seen him....he only wears spandex.

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Oberon race plate titanium color. Black rizoma spring caps. Cycle cat clutch cover, powder coated black. Ducati designs pegs, stock rearsets drilled and beveled holes, and powder coated black.
do your shoelaces get chewed up by the clutch?

·
Registered
607 Posts
do your shoelaces get chewed up by the clutch?
No. Good thing about this plate is that it is contoured enough so that the spring caps/springs are completely flush with the pressure plate surface when properly assembled. Nothing to snag while spinning. I'll try to take another pic from top view down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No. Good thing about this plate is that it is contoured enough so that the spring caps/springs are completely flush with the pressure plate surface when properly assembled. Nothing to snag while spinning. I'll try to take another pic from top view down.
I want an open cover like on my Monster and have been trying to figure out how to get a cover that's open and keep my shoelaces and it never ocured to me to get that contoured Oberon plate... Thanks dude!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts