Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above - i value other peoples opinions greatly and moreso as ive just got my 1100s.

Is there any point in getting one apart from asthetic value or are they functional - while i can see that they would keep the clutch cooler would you get loads of debris in there/water/whatever as i was thinking of getting an R&G slider to protect it rather than open it up unless you can get a clutch cover that open and will survive a touch-down....

Look forward to what people think....

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
It's louder which means it's cooler! I've always ran open covers and never had any issues with water or debris. Aesthetics for sure though, I don't think you HAVE to get it done for any performance upgrade. It's just cool to have it open!

·
Registered
532 Posts
It just adds to the look of the bike and it is much louder and gives that distinctive rattle

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've heard it helps keep the clutch cooler, but if this was a problem I'm sure Ducati would have left it open from the factory. Personally I'm tired of mine. The rearset stays nasty looking because of it. I've actually heard that allowing it to sling that clutch material out is actually a good thing for clutch performance and longevity. And getting it wet has caused the clutch to slip before, but it slings out the water in a few seconds and its fine. I do like the sound, but sometimes I feel like its so dang loud it overshadows the beautiful L-Twin exhaust sound.

Many times I have considered trying to trade mine for a factory cover. Or at least getting a cover that is LESS open than the one I have, maybe only with holes in the front to get the cooling affect but to keep all the nasty clutch material off my rearset.

So...is it worth it? I would say there would be plenty of other modifications way higher on my list if I had a stock bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just make sure that after washing the bike you start the bike up and rev it a bit to get the water out. if not the plates might stick a little because of surface rust. Then the bike will want to lurch/jump forward a little until the plates are ok. Only a second but it will scare you...trust me, I know!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The open clutch does have a couple advantages, the main one is that the engine does run about 10 degrees cooler, and the plates don't get as grungy & sticky with the open clutch, which can lead to the famous Ducati clutch "groan"

The disadvantage is the extra noise, & stuff getting caught in it, like laces & pant legs.
External debries like sand, gravel, & even water don't seem to affect the clutch, at least not on mine, as I have laid it down in the dirt on the clutch side, & do blast it off at the car wash from time to time.

Ducati runs the clutch cover due to noise & safety regulations.
Aloha Alex

·
Registered
165 Posts
As others have already noted - cooling, clutch dust, bling.

Along these lines, a simple OEM "open" clutch cover mod is to take off the OEM cover and rubber gasket, pop the metal spacers out of the gasket and put the cover back on with the spacers and no gasket. It will run cooler, some dust will be able to escape, and it will be a bit quieter than the Ducati rattle from a fully open cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never had any problems with an open clutch cover. If you have a slipper clutch, they do not seem to rattle or make any noise at all (at least the one on my Hyper does not).

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Pretty solid consensus here; engine runs a bit cooler, lets out dust, etc. I'll also add that the stock clutch cover offers very little in terms of protection. It is pretty thin and bends easy in the case of a lowside, and I have heard of people bending it enough to do damage to the clutch itself, can't remember if the broke posts or what exactly. I use the woodcraft one because I still am a little nervous about having the front side of the clutch exposed to road debris.
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Assets/Products/Images/60-0640350.jpg

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Having had the privilege to lay down my hyper on its side, I was quite amazed how strong a CF cover really is.

As you can see, the rearset didn't stand a chance. My side fairing also cracked, but the cover only had a few scratches.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool.....many thanks for all that....good cases on both sides I might get one and see.....after all I can swap them about if I want to....keep the comments coming. Thanks again!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Jut wanted to add that (at speed) the clutch will be moving do fast it'll bat away any road debris that might fly up in that direction.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
520 Posts
IMHO they are just bling (nothing wrong with bling :)). If there was a real functional value you would see them on the real race bikes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I do like the idea of spacing the clutch cover away from the engine casing so air gets through.....i did think about getting and R&G cover and then putting a washers between the casing and the cover so air gets through and therefore also cools and protects. but seeing the pic of that open one earlier on that survived a slide was pretty impressive....

Although that leads me to another question....slipper clutches - Gabriel Tyler said that his slipper clutch was quieter - i did do some googling earlier on regarding slipper clutches (as i dont know what the benefits are or what they do) but couldnt find anything so....

1. Why do you have/need one
2. easy to fit/can you take the clutch cover off and fit it there and then without going into the engine
3. Whats the benefits?

I must say firstly ive never owned a ducati before (never expected to own one either as i believed they were unreliable/expensive to buy) but this forum looks to be pretty well full of active users who like to participate in discussions - refreshing...plus the month ive had mine so far its proving to be fun to ride although i must confess the jury's out on the sound of the thing - ive always hated twins as ive found them to sound very flat/tractor-like - used to own/still own a z1000 with an akrapovic on board which is a very smooth sound - z1000 for sale if anyone wants it (in the UK) as ive got to finance some of the hyper with it!! - the wife is being pretty cool about it all ive got to say!

Rambling now - thanks for the comments anyway...

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
IMHO they are just bling (nothing wrong with bling :)). If there was a real functional value you would see them on the real race bikes.
Realistically real race bikes don't need them. They only start once in a race. That's when the heat is made. You're much harder on your clutch driving in stop and go traffic.

But if you do a internet search, there are plenty of race bike using them.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The open clutch does have a couple advantages, the main one is that the engine does run about 10 degrees cooler, and the plates don't get as grungy & sticky with the open clutch, which can lead to the famous Ducati clutch "groan"

The disadvantage is the extra noise, & stuff getting caught in it, like laces & pant legs.
External debries like sand, gravel, & even water don't seem to affect the clutch, at least not on mine, as I have laid it down in the dirt on the clutch side, & do blast it off at the car wash from time to time.

Ducati runs the clutch cover due to noise & safety regulations.
Aloha Alex
Alex, Whenever I find a post, or topic that interests me, I find myself scanning for your posts. You are always articulate, informative and dead on! Thanks so much for your contributions here!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Alex, Whenever I find a post, or topic that interests me, I find myself scanning for your posts. You are always articulate, informative and dead on! Thanks so much for your contributions here!
Thanks Chris.........you made me blush:eek:
But I'm just trying to give back, I too have learned much from these forums.
Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Like Farmer Ted said, there are many race bikes that still use them, the main reason the "dry"clutch came out was the ease & speed you could work on them, especially in endurance raceing.

I do like the idea of spacing the clutch cover away from the engine casing so air gets through.....i did think about getting and R&G cover and then putting a washers between the casing and the cover so air gets through and therefore also cools and protects. but seeing the pic of that open one earlier on that survived a slide was pretty impressive....

Although that leads me to another question....slipper clutches - Gabriel Tyler said that his slipper clutch was quieter - i did do some googling earlier on regarding slipper clutches (as i dont know what the benefits are or what they do) but couldnt find anything so....

1. Why do you have/need one
2. easy to fit/can you take the clutch cover off and fit it there and then without going into the engine
3. Whats the benefits?

I must say firstly ive never owned a ducati before (never expected to own one either as i believed they were unreliable/expensive to buy) but this forum looks to be pretty well full of active users who like to participate in discussions - refreshing...plus the month ive had mine so far its proving to be fun to ride although i must confess the jury's out on the sound of the thing - ive always hated twins as ive found them to sound very flat/tractor-like - used to own/still own a z1000 with an akrapovic on board which is a very smooth sound - z1000 for sale if anyone wants it (in the UK) as ive got to finance some of the hyper with it!! - the wife is being pretty cool about it all ive got to say!

Rambling now - thanks for the comments anyway...
The advantage to a "slipper clutch" is that it helps to prevent rear wheel lock-up while fast down shifting, which helps bike control at the track or fast canyon riding, for me, its one of my favorite mods. Would you need it for normal street riding? probabley not, and you do have to maintain a slipper clutch.

A slipper clutch install is not hard with average mechanical skills, but you will need a clutch tool, large socket & torque wrench.

I personally have not heard of a quiet slipper clutch, my DP performance slipper makes lots of noise, just like a stock one.
Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
have you looked at any/all of the current WSB ducatis and all of the motogp bikes? all of them are running dry clutches and use open covers... honda, yamaha, ducati.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
have you looked at any/all of the current WSB ducatis and all of the motogp bikes? all of them are running dry clutches and use open covers... honda, yamaha, ducati.
Well I 100% stand corrected then. To be sure, before I posted I did some Google image searching and came up with nothing. Obviously I should have searched more.

I personally take out the rubber gasket and just put narrow spacers in between the cover and case on both my 749 and Hyper. I figure it allows a little air in, the dust out and minimal protection in case of a tip over/low side. And it costs nothing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts