Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be the ultimate newb question but im just gonna hide behing the "there is no such thing as a stupid question" saying and ask it. I have seen exposed clutch covers on duc's and I know it is a Dry clutch so obviously there is no functionality lost with an "open/slotted" cover but it seems that rain/dirt/road shrapnel does not belong in exposed moving parts? Am i comepletely wrong? Is there some risk to riding around with an open clutch cover? if someone could enlighten me or slap me around a little i would appreciate it. :D

sorry maybe this belongs in another section....mods please move if necessary

·
Registered
304 Posts
well, as long as skyline got this thread started, i have a couple questions too.

i am looking to replace my pressure plate. if i got with one of those heavy duty ones with the recesses spring holes, do you still even need a clutch cover?

also, some pressure plates are solid (cycle cat) and some plates have large holes (speedymoto). is there any advantages or disadvantages to either design?

i'm leaning towards the speedymoto pressure plate. i was also wondering about debri from a crash getting through the holes though (knock on wood).

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Yes, you still need a cover. Some pressure plates are pretty strong, but you need to protect that clutch from impact. It would suck to have a ride ruined by a broken clutch hub from an otherwise harmless right side impact.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Yes, you still need a cover. Some pressure plates are pretty strong, but you need to protect that clutch from impact. It would suck to have a ride ruined by a broken clutch hub from an otherwise harmless right side impact.

Tony
It will also suck when your trouser leg, boot lace or boot contact the spinning pressure plate too!

I love the look of my pressure plate...

...but I wouldn't dream of riding without my cover on it...

·
Registered
80 Posts
is that the new style duacti cover? looks goooooood.
the cool air is good for the clutch, its not just bling bling.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Fox said:
is that the new style duacti cover? looks goooooood.
the cool air is good for the clutch, its not just bling bling.
Actually, it's an old style Ducati Performance vented cover. I don't think you can get this one any more. The pressure plate is made by STM.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
I've had both Cycle Cat and Speedymoto pressure plates. For some reason the anodizing on the Speedymoto is coming off, the Cycle Cat is holding on like its still new.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SkylineICR said:
This may be the ultimate newb question but im just gonna hide behing the "there is no such thing as a stupid question" saying and ask it. I have seen exposed clutch covers on duc's and I know it is a Dry clutch so obviously there is no functionality lost with an "open/slotted" cover but it seems that rain/dirt/road shrapnel does not belong in exposed moving parts? Am i comepletely wrong? Is there some risk to riding around with an open clutch cover? if someone could enlighten me or slap me around a little i would appreciate it. :D

sorry maybe this belongs in another section....mods please move if necessary
On track days I think it's a good idea to have a closed clutch cover. If you end up in the gravel there's less risk that you damage the clutch. I've seen examples of what can happen with an open cover.

Also, with the clutch full of dirt and gravel, you need to do some serious cleaning before you can get out on the track again. You might need to dismount the clutch pack and maybe miss the rest of the day.

·
Registered
291 Posts
RedTop said:
On track days I think it's a good idea to have a closed clutch cover. If you end up in the gravel there's less risk that you damage the clutch. I've seen examples of what can happen with an open cover.

Also, with the clutch full of dirt and gravel, you need to do some serious cleaning before you can get out on the track again. You might need to dismount the clutch pack and maybe miss the rest of the day.
This is very good advice. Thanks, I hadn't thought of that simple fact:)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
fraz said:
This is very good advice. Thanks, I hadn't thought of that simple fact:)
Closed is generally a good idea. People will talk about the clutch over heating, but that is really a non-issue for most of us. Do a search for over heating clutches. It is a very rare event. Most people go with the open solely to show off their pretty pressure plates.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Closed is generally a good idea. People will talk about the clutch over heating, but that is really a non-issue for most of us. Do a search for over heating clutches. It is a very rare event. Most people go with the open solely to show off their pretty pressure plates.

Tony
I've never heard anyone talk about an over heating clutch as a problem. I think the main advantage of an open clutch is that you don't get a build up of clutch dust which can lead to clutch slippage if not cleaned out of a closed clutch.

Another reason some people vent their clutches is for the sound. I personally love the tinkle of an unfetted clutch pack. My pretty red pressure plate is cool too!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those guys are right about protecting your clutch, I don't however because it's just too freakin' cool too run it completely open. Nothing ever gets caught in it, you could pour sand in and it would never even make it in as it would just get shot right out. Sometimes I press my leg in to the bolts/caps to feel it spinning while I'm riding and it just makes me smile. I hope I never lowside and damage my clutch, but I don't mind taking the chances for the look.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Last year, A friend of mine lowsided a borrowed (from the importer) 999 in a low speed corner. Broke three spring towers, despite the OEM cover.

Last June, I lowsided my SS, also three broken spring towers.

Moral: I've got a couple of SpeedyMoto covers waiting for my sister to bring them to me in June.

Tom

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
st2lemans said:
Last year, A friend of mine lowsided a borrowed (from the importer) 999 in a low speed corner. Broke three spring towers, despite the OEM cover.

Indeed I was hit in a head-on-Glancing blow collision with a car, which smashed the RH side fairing, the battery, footpeg, brake pedal and 2 of my toes, I had a DP carbon half clutch cover which was smashed off and 4 springtowers snapped off but surprisingly the clutch still worked, although it slipped a little! (and the engine started despite the battery being no more than a few plates of lead hanging from the wires!).

I'm certain that if I had a stock cover it would have bent in and jammed against the clutch possibly causing more damage.

The worst thing about having an open cover was that the battery acid washed through the clutch and stained the frame/subframe/rear wheel black.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
st2lemans said:

Moral: I've got a couple of SpeedyMoto covers waiting for my sister to bring them to me in June.

Tom
Not just the stock cover, but the stock pressure plate can also be to blame. Combined the posts get no protection at all.

Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts