Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all ducati clutch cover specs the same for all years? I ordered a new open carbon clutch cover on Ebay for my 95 SP. ( my old one had too many cracks) Two holes didn't line up properly and even if they did....the springs would have hit the cover. I ordered an OEM gasket from the dealer and see if it provides enough clearance. Vendor did not list 900ss but said all dry clutch components are the same for all years. :confused:

I'm gong to see if it fits my buddy's 996 this weekend. Vendor will accept a return and full refund but we are both wondering why my bike is different? ( I have stock pressure plate -anodized by a buddy's shop, OEM springs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That seems very odd to me. My understanding was that all the dry clutches could swap out to the same aftermarket covers. Are you using an aftermarket pressure plate that might be causing a clearance issue? I guess that wouldn't address the issue of holes not lining up...

I'm not using my rubber gasket anymore and I have 3 different covers that I swap out from time to time. I guess I only need one cover when I think about it. Keep us posted on how your research goes.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have an OEM pressure plate...just anodized. Sorry I'm at work and don't have any pics of the mystery. Just wanted to confirm all covers should work. My old OEM open Carbon cover did not need a gasket. I don't think any of the open aftermarket ones need it either. It's very possible since it's an Ebay item....I have one of a bad batch. Worse....my engine casing is warped? :D

That seems very odd to me. My understanding was that all the dry clutches could swap out to the same aftermarket covers. Are you using an aftermarket pressure plate that might be causing a clearance issue? I guess that wouldn't address the issue of holes not lining up...

I'm not using my rubber gasket anymore and I have 3 different covers that I swap out from time to time. I guess I only need one cover when I think about it. Keep us posted on how your research goes.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Rotate it a bit more?

The clutch covers are "standard" across most models.

This may be simplistic, but have you tried rotating the cover to see when the holes truly line up? Depending on the tolerance of mounting holes, it may appear that the first time you tried it looked correct on a couple of holes, but the others did not line up. Rotate it and see when they all line up.

Richard

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know my carbon fiber cover came with spacers so i didnt have to use the rubber gasket with the open cover. maybe they are missing with your new cover?? But i guess that if the holes dont line up it may be the wrong cover.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The clutch covers are "standard" across most models.

This may be simplistic, but have you tried rotating the cover to see when the holes truly line up? Depending on the tolerance of mounting holes, it may appear that the first time you tried it looked correct on a couple of holes, but the others did not line up. Rotate it and see when they all line up.

Richard
+1

There is only one cover bolt pattern for the dry clutch.

We've had more than one customer say their cover did not fit- only to have a friend, wife or child line it up for them...

However you could have got a poorly constucted one because the springs should not hit the cover with out the rubber spacer.

-M

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i came across this once - one of the more open styles of cover - wouldnt fit - too low hit the collars on the springs - asked seller ''wth'' - turned out to be made for slipper clutch which is apparently ''lower'' in height ????

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Actually, the opposite is true.

All mine have slippers, and the only one that didn't need raising with the slippers is the Speedy Moto one, the other two have CF covers.

With the OEM clutches no problem with the same covers.

Tom

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

Ok, I tried to rotate is like the vendor requested but the holes are at different offsets and the cover will only go on ONE WAY. (back 3 are closer together and the front 3 farther apart.) There is no way to miss this. I got a rubber gasket from the dealer and cover cleared the springs but two holes still were off. Noticing the cover was a little flexible I tweeked it a bit with on hand while jamming the bolts into the bottom most and front most holes. I got it all bolted up but gasket was not sitting properly and there was so much tension on the cover now, I'm sure it will crack with the slightest bump. I started to hear it "creak" as I was tighting the bolts. I took it off and I'm sending it back today.

I emailed other people who purchased the same cover on Ebay and all said the cover fit perfectly. All had 1098s w/ slipper clutches.:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clutch cover

Yes absolutely yes all are the same fitting -- thing is even when dealing oem.. It's a composite materiAl and chances are the carbon cover might be a wee bit off .. I would def return it or buy a slipper clutch and just ride with it open no cover .. Ice been doing it for years ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts