Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a open clutch cover when I bought my cycle. I replaced it with a closed cover, 'cause I was tired of people asking me about the sound. I am prepping my ride for an upcoming track day now.

Is there an advantage of having an open clutch cover for the track?
If so, is it absolutely necessary to change the pressure plate too, or can I use the stock pressure plate with open clutch cover?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Open cover vents better for race starts and lets dust out. Pressure plate doesn't care what cover you run.

Doesn't make much difference for recreational track days. In fact, a stock cover usually protects the clutch better if the bike goes down.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I had a open clutch cover when I bought my cycle. I replaced it with a closed cover, 'cause I was tired of people asking me about the sound. I am prepping my ride for an upcoming track day now.

Is there an advantage of having an open clutch cover for the track?
If so, is it absolutely necessary to change the pressure plate too, or can I use the stock pressure plate with open clutch cover?
I'd run the cover that was most protective on the track day.
-M

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
buku bucks if you dump the bike on the clutch side. That said, I rode both of my track days without a clutch cover. When $ permits, an axlejax is in store for me.

I love when people comment about the noise. It gives me ultimate freedom to make up a story why its so noisy. Sometimes, I tell them a head bolt worked loose inside and is rattling around and I'll need to turn the bike upside down to get the bolt out.

Sometimes it backfires. One time an old guy asked where my doors were on my Jeep (I used to ride w/o doors in the summer time). I told him the bolts broke off and I was waiting for replacements. Turns out he used to wheel ages ago. I felt bad after that story :(

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I've been using no clutch cover at all recently... I've not really found a clutch cover (with vent's) that has any substantial protection from anything but minor crashes. There are a few ones, like the one thats currently used on the WSB bikes, that is basically a ring that extends out from the housing, so if the bike were to slide, it wouldn't rest on the clutch itself. If they were $50 bux, I'd buy one... but sadly, they're $250 and not worth it. I might be shooting myself in the foot when I crash, but I have a suspicion the clutch pack being damaged, will be the least on my mind. :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
444 Posts
My last crash was a lowside on the clutch side. I have a stock cover milled out to look like a factory corse piece. The bike skipped along for 100-150 yards, up and over some fia curbing, and back onto the track while spinning on the clutch cover. It held up fine, no clutch damage.

After I fixed everything, I left the rashed cover, because I think it looks kinda hard-core.:eek:

·
Registered
332 Posts
You'll never go wrong with Woodcraft stuff. Eric has great service and replacement parts are readily available and inexpensive.

His approach to all his products is simply to build the least complex and strongest widget. This doesn't yield as blingy a product as Sato or Rizoma, but the quality of his work is outstanding.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I use the motowheels one, looks pretty strong to me..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts