Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - my turn to ask a question... A few years back, I replaced my clutch with an alloy one (Barnett), and bought a alloy pressure plate to match. However, I never fitted it, due to the complete assembly being too large to refit the original CF clutch cover - so I used the original pressure plate, which (I thought) gave me enough room to fit the CF cover back on.
I've just had the cover off (typing with oily fingers), and discovered that it doesn't quite clear... :( And has been rubbing - slightly. I'm now considering putting the Barnett pressure plate back on, and running a 'naked' clutch for now - and maybe get a new 'vented' cover later.

Of those out there who have an 'open' clutch cover - do you have any problems with the dry clutch when riding in wet weather?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just make some spacers, you could even make them a bit thicker to give you a 2-3mm gap for ventilation/cooling etc.
Yeah - that was going to be option #2. Sadly, if I fit the Barnett pressure plate - it needs more than a couple of mm's spacing...

·
Registered
954 Posts
I scrubbed the tops off my new alloy spring caps when I fitted them - to find the bike should have had a rubber gasket fitted which has little brass spacer rings... :rolleyes:

DUCATI 748/916 CLUTCH RUBBER SEAL GASKET/BUSHED | eBay

I duct-tape up the holes in my cover if it has to go out in the wet?? Saves a lot of gak soaking your clutch, the plates can sometimes rust themselves together too!

·
Registered
395 Posts
My Monster has an open clutch and I wash it all the time without problems but I always ride it afterwards to make sure the clutch dries out.

PARKING it in the rain would be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - looks like it'll be nzdaves idea - a washer or two under each of the screw holes should do the job for now - It's been kinda wet around here lately, and I don't think that's going to change in the next couple of months. :(

·
Registered
396 Posts
Seems like your question has already been answered, but, I did the same thing you did and i've ran mine open for well over a year now. No issues, I need to do the spacers as well but i've had no problems. Just loud clutch that some find cool and some find sounds like a tractor ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've ridden mine thru Colorado Power Dumps for years with an open clutch cover. When it's raining that hard, there's a lot of other things to worry about. Never had a moments problem with the clutch. It was traction and vision that were the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys - sometime, when I'm feeling flush, I'll order up a nice 'open' clutch cover for it, and then I can drop the 'pretty' pressure plate on it. For now, I've got a gasket as per 470Fours link on it's way.

BTW - If you don't have one already - a Barnett alloy clutch makes a a BIG difference to the amount of 'rattle'... I don't know about other brands - that's just what I've got. ;) I don't get near as many (non Ducati) people asking me if it's about to break now... :eek:

Reactions: C!ph3r

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I scrubbed the tops off my new alloy spring caps when I fitted them - to find the bike should have had a rubber gasket fitted which has little brass spacer rings... :rolleyes:

DUCATI 748/916 CLUTCH RUBBER SEAL GASKET/BUSHED | eBay

I duct-tape up the holes in my cover if it has to go out in the wet?? Saves a lot of gak soaking your clutch, the plates can sometimes rust themselves together too!
Thank you Mr 470Four! That rubber gasket did the trick just nicely! Only one small problem - there's a 'lip' on the inside of the gasket, that sits inside the engine cases - well, it fouls the outside of the clutch basket. Bad enough, that the engine didn't really want to crank over, with it on.

Easy fix though - I used a sharp blade, and trimmed the inside lip (about 1.5mm) off the rubber gasket - just left the bits by the two 'blank' holes for the two bolts that don't go through the clutch cover. I had to trim it vertically - as it's oriented in the picture - as just taking off the bit that sticks down the side of the cases wasn't enough. But it all seals up nicely now!

Cheers! :D

PS - I got mine for NZ$10! From Ducatispares.co.nz - Exclusively Sourced Ducati Spares + NZ$6 shipping. Beats the near (more than!) NZ$30 that they're asking on your link. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.