Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing the thread on the dangers of running open belts I've decided it's time to go open on my Paul Smart.

I know there are plenty of options out there, but it would be good to have a thread that compared them all, and mentions price, fit and availability.

So - Please post pics of your open belt covers, where you got them from and what they cost, and any issues, so those of us about to take the plunge can compare the market... (I'm quite a cheapskate) ...I'm also interested in what gets exposed, as I've seen a few rusty carriers, etc. Does it mean replacing some visible moving parts with anodised bits, like with open clutches?

Also - which other Ducati models have the same fitting, so we can look at the widest range of choice.

Ta.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Here are pics of my open covers. These came with my bike, it appears the previous owner had some Stock covers cut.

As you can see my carriers are a little rusty as the previous owner did not ride the bike for three+ years. I would be interested in replacing the carriers with some nice new shiny pieces.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Ive only seen speedymoto covers but Rizoma make ones that are clear for viewing but totally covered so best of both worlds really.Two color choices black and silver

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was thinking of just ditching the covers... Why do people buy the pulley covers? I am pretty cheap too, and I prefer to make things instead of buy them but if I am running open belts, I might as well leave the pulleys uncovered as well! I might fab up a small shield for the horizontal cylinder, we will see.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of just ditching the covers... Why do people buy the pulley covers? I am pretty cheap too, and I prefer to make things instead of buy them but if I am running open belts, I might as well leave the pulleys uncovered as well! I might fab up a small shield for the horizontal cylinder, we will see.
Good question. I assumed it was to give the belts a no-cover look with some degree of protection.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts

SpeedyMoto's. Bought because I destroyed a "Stock" FleaBay set, trying to carve my own.

·
Registered
902 Posts
SpeedyMoto's here as well. They came with the bike. I will probably switch them for the Stock covers every once in a while just for a different look.

Attachments

·
Official Retired Person
7,442 Posts
I have a set of stock covers that were altered to expose the belts. Bought them from someone one the forum quite a while back and I don't remember who it was. I've not had any problems except for the number of people who want to watch the parts whirling about.

Not the best photo of the covers but the only I can find right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is what I did to my SP1000 - a simple Friday afternoon project. I feel a bit tired to see the same-old Speedy-moto or Rizoma cover so I decided to something simple and look stock. Took me 2+ hrs since that was my first. I did the similar thing to my Streetfighter CF cover and it took much less time. Check out the details picts on my blog. For those who intersted, here is what i did to my Streetfighter :D

Progress...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like being able to see the belts. Now I know how they should feel, cold and hot, I check them every stop. These are Speedymoto of course. A little pricey if your considering price per/lb, but they look "marvelous"! And... an excuse to add a bit more red!

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
I also have the speedymotos. In gold. I sort of wanted silver, but picked up the gold ones for $100. I couldn't pass that up.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Here is what I did to my SP1000 ... Check out the details picts on my blog...

Glad you posted yours. I like them the most. This is the bike that pushed me to go Ducati when I was lusting for a modern café racer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i also have the speedymotos. In gold. I sort of wanted silver, but picked up the gold ones for $100. I couldn't pass that up.
score!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is what I did to my SP1000 - a simple Friday afternoon project. I feel a bit tired to see the same-old Speedy-moto or Rizoma cover so I decided to something simple and look stock. Took me 2+ hrs since that was my first. I did the similar thing to my Streetfighter CF cover and it took much less time. Check out the details picts on my blog. For those who intersted, here is what i did to my Streetfighter :D

Progress...

These look really good, and simple too. Maybe I'll get an OEM set on ebay and get hacking.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone got pics of a bike with no cover at all, just the naked belts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts