Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had to turn the key on and off several times in order to test wiring continuity relating to some LED running lamps. I noticed when I was examining the dashboard, the oil pressure light no longer lit.

Initially the light was coming on strongly as it always did. Then it was very dim. And then now nothing at all. The battery is fully charged so that is not an issue. The other idiot lights, the fuel light and the turn signal light and the high-beam light all come on brightly. Any suggestions? Replace OP sender?

Thank you, Steve

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
IF it were me, I'd test the sender by grounding the wire to the chassis. If it's a newer, 2-wire sender, unplug and then short the leads together. Light should come on.

If not, I'd suggest the large connector. Pretty sure the signal passes thru that notorious connector.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ha. The notorious weak point large connector. I'll try it.

S

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IF it were me, I'd test the sender by grounding the wire to the chassis. If it's a newer, 2-wire sender, unplug and then short the leads together. Light should come on.

If not, I'd suggest the large connector. Pretty sure the signal passes thru that notorious connector.
Thanks Stick,

Well, the electrical gremlins were at it. Whenever I wanted to test the situation at the big connector, the OP light would shine brightly with key-on. Totally laughing at me and not with me!!

Then I grabbed the gremlin when the light was out, key-on. I moved the handle bars and the light came on and then off. I placed my hand under the dash and jiggled the wires at the big connector and it came on. So now I have to find the particular OP sender wire (is it continuous from the sender to the big connector? I'll check the wire diagram.) and verify it is in good shape at the big connector. There may be a fray or loose insertion where it is shoved into the connector. Anything is possible regarding a 15 yo MC. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

:smile2:

Steve

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone needs to put together an adapter to allow for mounting the electric sending unit and an OP line to a mini gauge to be mounted at the dash somewhere. Once you lose confidence in such an Idiot light it is worthless.

S

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I agree that a gauge would be a great addition. But that area on our engines are tight for space already, with the oil-fill-port just forward of the OP port.

I believe the wire would make a straight path to the big connector - as you mentioned, your schematic will tell.

However, it sounds like you may have "put UR finger on it" already. I would focus under the dash area...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts