Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
1) Hope and pray that people will let each other know what the guy is doing so they can stay away
2) Stay away until he kills or paralyses himself

3) ... Pass some kind of Motorcycle Robin Hood law that "reassigns" this guys bike to someone who deserves it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I can't tell from the photos what the dude did wrong. I am assuming that he made the mistake. It sure looks like one of them is going the wrong way. Plus, I think that is what track day is for. Testing your limits. I know it is easier to be a hater, but I think it looks like the ducati was down and then the yamaha got into him. Maybe the guy on the yamaha should not put so much trust in a squid. Riding too close. From the pictures we can not make assumptions as to who is the real idiot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The whole story is missing... The description doesn't state how this incident happened. But lets us assume that he's a careless rider.
This is a SPOILER. If you guys saw WSBK at BRNO this weekend, you'll see that even these things happen with pros. (i.e. when Fabrizio was passing Spies on the inner turn, but slid, and took both of them out!!!).
Trackday riding is about learning your limits, but not over taking other people along the way... it's all about safety. That's why there are control riders on the track and staff to monitor bad riding.
I just can't believe the dude has an 1198! and wrecked an R1!!
that's a very expensive lesson to learn...
From the description on that thread, he seems pretty dangerous to be around...

~k

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Last Sunday I saw a black 1098S in pieces in the back of a pickup truck coming down from Angeles Crest. The story is the dude was coming too fast in one of the turns, locked the rear-wheel, high-sided, and the bike tumbled. He ended up at the hospital and I hope he's OK.

having ridden the crest enough times I can say that even on my S1K I could get in some trouble if I started too fast on a couple of tight turns up there... Some riders can take these 25mph posted turns at 90mhp, I'm happy at 55/60. But if you have a 1098S and little experience you're likely to be coming into a turn at a higher speed you can handle and soon realize you can't commit into the turn. That's the danger of the bike.

If the dude when from an SV650 or even VFR800 to an 1198S, chances are he scared himself yanking on that throttle. the way he's on the ground in the first pic suggests that they are in a right hand turn and that he grabbed the front brake too hard coming into the turn. He probably locked the front, low sided and slid into the rear of the R1, which explains why the R1'a rear is pushed out of the turn.

I guess what bike you own doesn't really matter and that's what's missing in that story. The fact that the dude was taking his 1198S on a track is a good thing, because IMO that bike should only be ridden on the track. Whether he had the experience or not is irrelevant, even pros fall all the time...

anyway, never fun to see a banged up bike, even less fun seeing a banged up ducati... but a good reminder that it can happen quickly.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Nothing if it was a trackday event. There is an unwritten law that no one sues anyone or holds anyone liable for damage. That being said I would hope he would see the error of his ways and OFFER to pay for repairs. If not then, I would probably ask for his home address.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's racing. It is the stewards job to keep people who are a danger to others off the track. I never took a bike to the track I wasn't willing to take home in pieces. That's why my track bike is a '98 zx6r not a brand new 1198r.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Which guy? No telling who was at fault. I know a lot of very good SV650 riders, faster and safer than a lot of Ducati riders...I know a lot of very good Ducati 1098 riders, faster and safer than a lot of Suzuki riders. I have raced..and crashed with guys better and worse than I am. Rather be on the track and take my chances than be on the street with Oscar Grope trying to look through his steering wheel while texting his sweetie pie.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Which guy? No telling who was at fault. I know a lot of very good SV650 riders, faster and safer than a lot of Ducati riders...I know a lot of very good Ducati 1098 riders, faster and safer than a lot of Suzuki riders. I have raced..and crashed with guys better and worse than I am. Rather be on the track and take my chances than be on the street with Oscar Grope trying to look through his steering wheel while texting his sweetie pie.
well said.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Who cares ! You pay your money and take your chances at ride days.

They are great fun but you gotta be ready to let it burn if it all goes pearshaped, lol .

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts