Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting some horrendous quotes as a new-to-ontario rider, scotialife have come to the party.
I've never had insurance in Ontario, but I just got Comprehensive cover on my 916 for $524 a year.

Great premium, all things considered!

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's a crazy rate in today's market, about half of what I've been quoted for my 998, and I have a clean record with 30 years experience and continuous motorcycle insurance. Is it Scotialife Financial, a division of Scotiabank? Their web site doesn't have any options for motorcycle quotes. Do you have to call in for a quote? Is it conditional on having other insurance with them?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a crazy rate in today's market, about half of what I've been quoted for my 998..
Yes, it was with Scotialife Financial. I also have my car insured with them, but they do offer standalone motorcycle insurance as far as I'm aware. You have to call them.
I wasn't aware they offered bike insurance either.... had tried to get cover through a broker but it was really tough work.
Initially was only trying to get Liability cover, but Comprehensive was only $100 more a year, so figured I'd be crazy not to.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow, really glad you posted! $650 for my 998 and $475 for my Hawk GT ($1M liability, comprehensive, but no collision, Mississauga address), compared to $1000 and $650 for the same coverage elsewhere.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, really glad you posted! $650 for my 998 and $475 for my Hawk GT ($1M liability, comprehensive, but no collision, Mississauga address), compared to $1000 and $650 for the same coverage elsewhere.
Nice- make the switch.

They must have hardly any claims from riders to keep premiums so low. Long may that be the case ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have insurance with Riders Plus.
A colleague of mine suggested it, and I am super happy with the quote.
I don't understand how insurance can be so expensive in Ontario.
One of the little things in life that we will not be given an answer, unfortunately.

M

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I pay $520 for my 06 ST3. That's much better than the 17 year old I was talking to this summer, he is paying $5,000. I guess being old (53) and having a spotless record has its perks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand that age and motorcycles are a risk.
But 5k insurance, per year? This industry is just out of control. What are they paying out of that 5k????
No parent can afford a 20k bike for their 17y old unless they can really afford the 5k insurance.
What was the bike the kid was riding? a 600 something?

Anyway, too early to get this upset.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
But 5k insurance, per year? This industry is just out of control. What are they paying out of that 5k????
No parent can afford a 20k bike for their 17y old unless they can really afford the 5k insurance.

Me: I bet that I die this month.
Insurance agent: I bet you don't.
Me: Ok, here's $50

·
Registered
2 Posts

Saw your comment and decided to register to respond. I am 20 and bought a zx6r as an upgrade from ninja 300. I was quoted: 14,000$ a year. The cheapest I got was 9,000$ a year.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Saw your comment and decided to register to respond. I am 20 and bought a zx6r as an upgrade from ninja 300. I was quoted: 14,000$ a year. The cheapest I got was 9,000$ a year.
Wow, a person with a DUI conviction pays less!
I understand a premium for a younger rider, just because they're more of a risk, but $9k is robbery.
How's your driving record?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, a person with a DUI conviction pays less!
I understand a premium for a younger rider, just because they're more of a risk, but $9k is robbery.
How's your driving record?
I have 1 speeding ticket (15 over, 3 demerit points) but insurance companies said that this was an extremely small addition to the quote. Also, the company my parents have their insurance with (I was under their policy for my 300) ignire your first accident and ticket, so this cost is assuming a complete clean record. My friend in the US is 21 and has an V4 and pays 1500 a year

1 - 15 of 15 Posts