Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
As an owner of 6 sport classics (not bragging, most think I am an idiot for owning that many) I figured I would chime in.

We all know our bikes aren't the greatest thing on two wheels and we know they are replicas of another era, but they are also the end of an era. Some of the last air-cooled engines for Ducati and they pay homage to an era that never goes out of style. The 60s and 70s will always be revered.

I work in the exotic and collector car world and I look at what air cooled Porsches are going for and I mean ANY air cooled Porsche. The truth is, some things will just never be built again. In the car world it is manual gearboxes and naturally aspirated engines.

I think our bikes are very special and I have been offered some pretty stupid money for my Paul Smart, but all I would do with the money is go and buy another Paul Smart.

Several members have already said what I believe to be true, after time these bikes will all end up in the hands of people that truly want them and have no interest in parting ways with them. When that happens they will be harder to come by and will command an even higher price to pry it from someone.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I'm with Christian. dual pipe / dual shock / no faring is my jam.
I really think that there is a leftside/rightside brain thing when it comes to symmetry on bike design. Square vs circle type of thinking. Some need things to be equal on both sides others are not bothered by say one saddlebag, where others freak over it. I'm can go either or but seem to lean with the creative designs more than proven, symmetrical ones. Hence the Mono and 999 designs called to me more than others but it does seem to be hardwired in our minds and broader than just bike design.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
It would appear most of these bikes aren’t going to be ridden anyway, and most people buying them are worried about the investment potential. In that respect you have to look forward 10-20 more years .

·
Registered
534 Posts
It all seems related to miles to me. If you have an SC with 1000 or fewer miles, you get premium pricing seemingly. If you have over 5000...then that price REALLY needs to come down.

I bought a 07' S1000s with 26K for 9800$ It was in perfect condition and unmodified at the time. I've added some "non mod" mods like Termis and front fork internals.

There isn't anything special about a 996, but if you find one that's been under a tree it's entire life the owner will be asking a well higher price.

I think finding a bike like mine, unmolested stock with high miles in good shape may become a bit harder. High milage bikes will be moded and affordable...or pristine bikes with unreasonable prices.

I don't think I'd trade for anything, and the millage removes any stresses of keeping the bike in some form of hibernation, fuck it, it's got 27K on it, who cares. Ride that bitch every day

·
Registered
125 Posts
I purchased my 2008 SC1000 black off an auction for roughly $7200 (fees included). It had 6200 miles and the only damage to it was a scratch on the stock pipes and a slightly bent rear break lever. If you're looking for a SC that you just want to ride and not worried about what the title says the auctions are a good place to look. If you're patient you can find some good deals, although they still command a relative high price on there as well if the damage isn't significant.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 1000S that I just bought with 1071 miles on it will definitely get ridden (as soon as I have a chance to change the oil, check the belts, etc.). I didn't buy it to preserve it for the next guy. It was almost a shame to buy a low mileage bike because I knew that $$ would be dripping off onto the pavement every time I rode it, but what the hell - isn't that the case with everything? I had to buy low mileage to get a bike in the condition that I like my bikes to be in. Now I'm going to go ride the hell out of it, but it will always look like it does today.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I purchased my 2008 SC1000 black off an auction for roughly $7200 (fees included). It had 6200 miles and the only damage to it was a scratch on the stock pipes and a slightly bent rear break lever. If you're looking for a SC that you just want to ride and not worried about what the title says the auctions are a good place to look. If you're patient you can find some good deals, although they still command a relative high price on there as well if the damage isn't significant.
I'd love to know more about this. Is your bike a salvage title? I'm looking for a second bike and am parsing some COTA (Cosa Coba? BOSA?) website with a list of bikes ready for auction or bid. But I don't know shit about it. There is a nice vandalized 1098 I'm eyeballing, looks like someone broke off the ignition and crap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd love to know more about this. Is your bike a salvage title? I'm looking for a second bike and am parsing some COTA (Cosa Coba? BOSA?) website with a list of bikes ready for auction or bid. But I don't know shit about it. There is a nice vandalized 1098 I'm eyeballing, looks like someone broke off the ignition and crap.

Yes the bike is now branded as salvage even though there wasn't any significant damage to it (I don't know why they branded it salvage, repair cost me a black spray can and 10 minutes at a press). So hence the resale price drops significantly because of the branding but I was not planning on reselling it so it doesn't bother me. I have not heard about the auctions you've mentioned but there are a few popular ones around the country and all you need is an account or a dealer. I go through a dealer that has more access than a normal user would. There was a red Sport1000s a while back with no physical damage to the bike except wiring melted under the seat (the infamous R/R I presume).

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes the bike is now branded as salvage even though there wasn't any significant damage to it (I don't know why they branded it salvage, repair cost me a black spray can and 10 minutes at a press). So hence the resale price drops significantly because of the branding but I was not planning on reselling it so it doesn't bother me. I have not heard about the auctions you've mentioned but there are a few popular ones around the country and all you need is an account or a dealer. I go through a dealer that has more access than a normal user would. There was a red Sport1000s a while back with no physical damage to the bike except wiring melted under the seat (the infamous R/R I presume).
So interesting, yeah I just signed up for Copart...in CA I'll need a "broker" to do it. there is a GT1000 on there now with side damage...looks typical of a low slide. It'll be up for auctin here in 76 minutes, fun to see how much it goes for.

I'm keeping my eye out for a "916" or a Scrambler. LOL

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I really think that there is a leftside/rightside brain thing when it comes to symmetry on bike design. Square vs circle type of thinking. Some need things to be equal on both sides others are not bothered by say one saddlebag, where others freak over it. I'm can go either or but seem to lean with the creative designs more than proven, symmetrical ones. Hence the Mono and 999 designs called to me more than others but it does seem to be hardwired in our minds and broader than just bike design.
I hear you. For me it's not about symmetry in the case of the bi-posto but about proportions. Same thing with the faring. again totally my personal opinion but I think the proportions are better distributed on the naked bip, and the dual piggies are more reminiscent of the classic style to me than the single shock, that seems more modern if that makes sense.

Like you I'm partial to the 999, probably over any other ducati super-bikes. I own one. but talk about symmetry there.. aside from the faring bubbles and the kickstand it's identical on both sides. That thing was carved with a precision knife.

I also agree with what Bruce Wayne is saying, which is why I own my SC and my 999. Even if the 999 isn't air cooled, it is the last ducati super bike entirely built by hand and that still has a slight retro personality to the engine, albeit with spectacular handling that still rivals today's bikes. it's a real joy to ride. I was lucky to find it.

I bought my SC new in 2007 and decided that day that I would never part with it (unless it was stolen or destroyed). I wrecked it twice and rebuilt it twice (about $8K each time), making it better and better.

Both my bip and my 999S are in the permanent collection. Everything else can come and go.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The bike market is in a big slump in Australia that what I put it down to.
Most of our cashed up bogans are out of work so bike sales are down considerably.
If your in the market for 2nd hand bike now is the time to buy. I had to sell my 848EVO and it went for a song.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I hear you. For me it's not about symmetry in the case of the bi-posto but about proportions. Same thing with the faring. again totally my personal opinion but I think the proportions are better distributed on the naked bip, and the dual piggies are more reminiscent of the classic style to me than the single shock, that seems more modern if that makes sense.

Both my bip and my 999S are in the permanent collection. Everything else can come and go.
For me it is also a matter of proportions... At our meeting in Italy we have a large number of heavily modified SCs and if i compare the PS to the 1000s my favourite is the dual shock fairring S model...

The initial decision to buy a SC came when i saw the Biposto in 2007... Also a nearby dealer offered me a big discount on a Mono with 2-1 Termignoni i went for the Biposto... It took some time to find one but i succeeded... Of all the SC models produced the Biposto is the rarest... 1253

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If it wasn't for the fall in prices of the SC's I would not have the one
I bought. I had never seen one in person the Year I spent searching
for one, but when My one owner 5k mile 06 Mono came up on e-bay
for its 3 time w/o selling I made an offer and now its mine.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
1253 is the number...
right. so it's less than the 2K PS they made, but more than the 100 LE, even if the LE is just a mono with a different paint job.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The bike market is in a big slump in Australia that what I put it down to.
Most of our cashed up bogans are out of work so bike sales are down considerably.
If your in the market for 2nd hand bike now is the time to buy. I had to sell my 848EVO and it went for a song.

This is what started my lust https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2006-Ducati-Paul-Smart-1000/SSE-AD-5192846/?

I offered him 24k but he said 27 is rock bottom.

I agree the market is slow here and I have to many bikes but think the paul smart is the best looking SC . If I have to keep my modified GT it will be no hardship!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts