Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prices for sports classics have taken a dive here in OZ lately with a couple nice single shock bikes going for what was GT money only a year or so ago.
The later twin shocks are just sitting around going nowhere!
Only the paul smarts are holding there ground or at least the asking price is still high.
Is this just here in Australia or worldwide?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Any bike with a number tags is a collectibles. The more sc’s getting chop or put down..
The value will go up.
Buy now and hold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Official Retired Person
7,299 Posts
The value of my GT has not decreased at all! At least, not according to my select poll of 1 bike - mine. That's all I'm concerned about.

However, if you find a clean Sport of GT near you, go for it. Can't hurt.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Here is the states still holding up, on all models listed best to not as well,, PS, 07LE, O6 mono's, SC dual shock then GT's. Anyone that paid MSRP new or less a couple years later is still doing OK for any of these.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a GT1000 with suspension upgrades etc but was thinking I should maybe sell it and another bike and take the plunge on a PS now as it is the ultimate sports classic .
I keep hoping they might drop a bit with the rest of the SC's here but maybe that is just not going to happen.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I already have a GT1000 with suspension upgrades etc but was thinking I should maybe sell it and another bike and take the plunge on a PS now as it is the ultimate sports classic .
I keep hoping they might drop a bit with the rest of the SC's here but maybe that is just not going to happen.
I expect that the general price of PS models will not drop because most people that own one at this stage....
- do not have a loan on it
- own more than one bike
- have the financial resources to not "need" to sell

i.e. if an owner is not financially motivated to sell, then the supply is restricted and the demand (price) remains high.

Prob won't increase by a huge amount either though for a very long time.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Once a bike becomes “ a collectible “ it doesn’t become uncollectible. That’s ludicrous. Prices fluctuate. The deal with the PS is it was a niche bike in the first place, even among Ducatisti. It really never had any special merit. It was a retro model that didn’t even have a lot of popularity when new. I don’t want one. No one I know wants one. The only people who want one are Ducati collectors who think they need one for their collection. That’s not a recipe for increased value.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
As I said above, prices fluctuate. It’s worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, not what you believe it’s worth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just paid a lot of money for a 2007 1000S. It had 1070 miles on it. Its been sitting in someone's living room for 11 years. It is completely unmolested except for a set of Termi's (they sound like heaven), but the original exhausts came with the bike. I was nervous about paying $19k for something like this because there is no telling what will happen to the market, but I reasoned that it is essentially a new bike, and so the price compared to any other new Ducati was not bad. Also, I bought this for myself because I love the look and the sound, and I don't really care about resale value.

I've been watching the Sport Classic bikes on the market for almost a year now, and the folks selling the PS's are asking high prices, but there always seems to be one or two good PS's for sale, whereas the 1000S's seemed to only come up on occasion. I came to the conclusion (perhaps incorrectly) that there are actually fewer 1000S's in the US than there are PS's. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think that possibly correct, the S is certainly rarer in the UK, I think the only version that’s even rarer here is the naked BiP.
That said I think the PS will always command slightly higher prices, it was always a better specc’d bike and that seems to reflect in its residual values.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At Mecum over this past weekend also in Vagas a Paul Smart with 1290 miles and with the lower fairing sold for $19800. Vin number ZDM1WABP56B000919

·
Registered
223 Posts
As another data point, I paid $19,000 around 6 months ago. Under 3000 miles, one owner, full fairing, open clutch cover, termis, etc (plus all original parts).

No expectation for increased value. No expectation for decreased value.

·
Bon Vivant
10,743 Posts
Prices for sports classics have taken a dive here in OZ lately with a couple nice single shock bikes going for what was GT money only a year or so ago.
The later twin shocks are just sitting around going nowhere!
Only the paul smarts are holding there ground or at least the asking price is still high.
Is this just here in Australia or worldwide?
I see it too here in the states, the prices for sports and GT's is dropping but the PS's seem to be dropping less for the moment. I think the popularity of the SC's was related to the Cafe Racer craze and that is starting to wain. owners of the PS are not selling and are not willing to sell for a loss right now. if the prices for the othe SC's continue to fall the PS prices will fall as well. I do think the whole SC range was a bit over inflated in OZ and that may be the reason the price is dropping a bit more there.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
They're all collectable, just some worth a little more than others.

Screw the prices at auction houses, they artificially inflate the value. I fuckin' HATE those mid-life-crisis, empty-nester, testosterone-enhanced, bandwagon vehicle-value inflation houses!:mad:

The PS has the Ohlins suspension and aluminum rims which make it a little better but if you don't ride the bike then who cares, you're using it as an over-priced, full-scale model paperweight anyway :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts