Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad but true.
just about 150km since the 24.000km service i started hearing a "strange" noise as the engine was WARM when revs were falling from around 4.000 to 3.000rpm...

noise isnt there at idle or when motor is cold.
took it to the dealer...checked oil pressure and it looked like shit...too pissed off to upload the video for you to see... only 1/4 of the pressure it should have...

opened the oil filter and look what we found...

the engine is f*** up...

we hope that these metal pieces are from the connecting rod bearings since the damage seems to be in its start…before the engine warms up the little noise doesn’t even exist.

after the temp rises to 2 “blocks” in the dash then its starts to sound at 3.000RPM… from 3 “blocks” and above its clear that something is wrong but the noise is still not very loud. Engine doesn’t seem to have lost any power and no sign of smoke has ever appeared from the exhaust…

Finished tearing the bike apart for the second time... this time not my fault...

I guess now i am sure that this is true...:

anyway, i am really sad and pissed off but thought 2 or 3 of you guys would like to know, so here i am writing up this story...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bike purchased brand new 9/2009
no warranty.

probably one of the first 3-4 SF S in greece. dont know if it is just bad luck or just one more ducati engine that failed but i find myself so sad...

its not about money, i will work my ass off (again) and work on it my self and finally i will manage to get it back together one day but this just doesnt feel right...

I have treated this bike better than i treat myself, love it so much and didnt see this coming.

really sad

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this photo is huuuuuuge jd!
didnt get any zoomed macro photos, just some cell pics...too damn pissed off to bother with that :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mannnn sorry to hear that! :( But glad you're willing to open her up and fix it. I guess it's good this didn't happen in summer! Good luck bro.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Damn CTS, this sucks. Hopefully you DID catch it early and get her fixed up soon.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not saying it is the oil's fault, but which brand of oil were you using? Also seems odd this happened after your service?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Bummer Christos...hopefully this will be a not too expensive fix for you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
motul 300v full synthetic oil.
the first 2 or 3 times i also used the recommended Advance ultra 4.
i have lost count on how many times i have changed oil and oil filters on this bike...

i changed oil more than i rode this bike, really... the engine is so clean inside after 24.000 that the oil after 3-4.000 is like new with the color it had when it got in the engine... no more than 5.000km on a change and almost everytime at about 3.500km i changed it cause i would go on a trackday or a trip so i wanted to have fresh oil in...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mannnn sorry to hear that! :( But glad you're willing to open her up and fix it. I guess it's good this didn't happen in summer! Good luck bro.
what else could i do man?

bought this bike 21.000euros.
spent a total of about 7000 euros in extras (quick estimate, can be even "worse") without all the service/insurance cost etc... but the most important...is all the time and love spent on this bike...
to make it custom like it is, to dream how it will look like and make it happen, to fix it when i dropped it and maintain it like its brand new with almost no signs of use after all this hard riding and 3 years...

i dont think there is another option really...dont know how much time and money i will need to fix it but there is no other option...

just hope that the damage is not much... :-/

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dont even know what to do il mostro. i mean when it comes to upgrading the engine.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
bummer...I'd take the engine apart. You really won't know what is wrong until you get inside it. You can have lovely engine pieces decorating your living room while you are trying to figure it out!
Seriously though, rebuilding an engine isn't impossible, as long as it isn't too broken.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Don't worry, you seem to have a good mechanic there. Figure out what you need and how much it'll cost.

Than figure out if you want:

Rebuild what you have
Build a kick a-s power engine
Find a used engine

You also have lots of friends here willing to help. Moto wheels, shift-tech etc lots of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
motul 300v full synthetic oil.
the first 2 or 3 times i also used the recommended Advance ultra 4.
i have lost count on how many times i have changed oil and oil filters on this bike...

i changed oil more than i rode this bike, really... the engine is so clean inside after 24.000 that the oil after 3-4.000 is like new with the color it had when it got in the engine... no more than 5.000km on a change and almost everytime at about 3.500km i changed it cause i would go on a trackday or a trip so i wanted to have fresh oil in...
You do know that the 300V is good for about 800-1200 miles; right?

·
1,767 Posts
Taking into the account the bike has been occasionally raced... Mostly ridden i imagine rather fast... taking into the account it is an Italian bike... I say 24,000 is not that bad. The MotoGP motors last just like for 800 miles or so! Every time you push an engine hard its longitivtiy is reduced.
24k miles in a left lane or 240k miles in a right? I choose a left one!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I totally understand how u would take care and love her more than urself. Hopefully everything goes well, keep us updated on the issue :):):)

·
1,767 Posts
By the way, my motor was 12.8 K miles old when I left it for a blueprint. When it was opened they found a 5 inches long 1 mm deep scratch on an inside wall of cylinder head. And the bearings had to be replaced as well (just like yours). The metal flakes started to show up after 6k miles. But I can't say what internal part produced the flakes.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts