Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a video from my last track weekend of the 2017 season. It was captured at Nelson Ledges Road Course in Ohio, which 'is considered one of, if not, the fastest tracks in the [USA].' That quote from the track's website might be considered a little hyped-up by some, but it is a very fast track. The fastest track record I found was a lap time of 58.906 in 2010 by SCCA racer Sedat Yelkin in a Swift 014; his average speed during that lap is recorded as 122.228 mph... that is super fast on this track!

The two-mile long circuit has a lot of history. It was constructed in 1958, and was well-known back in the 60s, 70s and 80s by car and motorcyle racers for '24 Hours of Nelson Ledges.' When that famous, day-long race became a reality in 1968, it was the only continuous 24-hour motorcycle race in the United States at the time.

Michael Andretti and other well-known (car) racers went to their SCCA driver's school at this track. You can check out more track history by clicking here: About us ? Nelson Ledges

A new owner recently acquired the track and has begun the process of rebuilding--starting with a newly resurfaced track this year. Some of you may remember my early YouTube videos of this track several years ago, which resembled a bombed-out WWII air strip!

The new pavement is amazing, and my buddy Sean and I both were able to shave 4-5 seconds from our previous pot-hole-filled average lap times. I set a PB of 113.797 at the end of this session before my rear tire started slipping out on me.

I'm riding my 2009 Ducati 848 and Sean is on a 2012 Suzuki GSX-R750.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
That was cool. I really like all of the camera angles and edits. That said, being a worrier, seeing the fork right at the edge of travel would keep me up at night - lol. At some point, can you post a pic of your bike with all of the cameras?

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Very Nice!
I have been there before is it as flat as it looks? I remember watching videos of mid Ohio and I thought it would be flat until I got there road rode it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That was cool. I really like all of the camera angles and edits. That said, being a worrier, seeing the fork right at the edge of travel would keep me up at night - lol. At some point, can you post a pic of your bike with all of the cameras?
Thanks, I like experimenting with the camera angles and edits. Regarding the front forks, it might be a little deceiving due to the position of the camera, but I actually had quite a bit of fork travel left (about .5 inch or 12.7 mm); I don't get too worried about the fork travel until it gets within a 1/4 inch or 6.35 mm of the bottom of the fork.

I'll get a picture posted this evening or tomorrow of my camera set-up on the bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very Nice!
I have been there before is it as flat as it looks? I remember watching videos of mid Ohio and I thought it would be flat until I got there road rode it.
Yes--Nelson Ledges is flat and fast! There is some difference in elevation around the track (maybe between 10-20 feet or something like that), but it's not noticeable because it is so gradual. And you're right, Mid-Ohio has some really nice elevation changes. I love both tracks! :nerd:

Do you still ride at Mid Ohio? If so, we'll have to link-up next season...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... At some point, can you post a pic of your bike with all of the cameras?
Here ya go: The track photographer (Photos by Marty), took the picture of me on the bike during the session from the video. The other pics are from inside my garage.

The set-up isn't the prettiest, nor the most aerodynamic, but it gets the job done!

The cameras on the tank and the mid-fairing are secured to the bike with GoPro suction cups and then red duck tape; the fairing camera is also tethered as you can see. The rear camera is secured using a standard GoPro adhesive mount, again with red duck tape as a secondary measure to keep the camera in the mount and the mount on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Nelson Ledges Road Course in Ohio, which 'is considered one of, if not, the fastest tracks in the [USA].' That quote from the track's website might be considered a little hyped-up by some, but it is a very fast track. The fastest track record I found was a lap time of 58.906 in 2010 by SCCA racer Sedat Yelkin in a Swift 014; his average speed during that lap is recorded as 122.228 mph... that is super fast on this track!
no hype - 122+ average speed from a club-level driver in a club-level-prepared Formula Atlantic car.

more perspective - it took a Joest-prepared, 750+ hp, low-downforce Porsche 962C for Bernd Schneider to turn the first (only) sub-1 minute lap on the short course at Watkins Glen back in '91. This was also before they installed the Stupid Loop.

nice video. seems you've figured out a good mic location.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no hype - 122+ average speed from a club-level driver in a club-level-prepared Formula Atlantic car.

more perspective - it took a Joest-prepared, 750+ hp, low-downforce Porsche 962C for Bernd Schneider to turn the first (only) sub-1 minute lap on the short course at Watkins Glen back in '91. This was also before they installed the Stupid Loop.

nice video. seems you've figured out a good mic location.
Thanks for confirming and clarifying that SP3! I had always heard that Nelson Ledges was one of the fastest, and when I did some research it kept popping up again. Two miles in less than a minute on a road course with several right and two left hand turns is fast! I will never be that fast there, but next year I'm setting a goal of 1:10 :surprise:

And yes, (ironically) the audio from the mid-fairing camera that is focused on the front fork is where the best audio is captured. I was expecting that camera to have the most wind noise but it doesn't.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I think you have to have a little bit of wind noise just so it doesn't seem like you're riding around in a bubble or video game. Yours I think is just about perfect.

As for the speed of the new surface, a friend of mine was just there last weekend with his (former) Porsche Carrera Cup Germany car (mid-90s). He didn't give times but he agreed it was MUCH faster. He didn't say he was scared by the speed but he did eventually realize how much faster he was going and how much more quickly you'd run out of run off space.

Reactions: xx848xx
1 - 15 of 15 Posts