Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Premise for the question:
I’ve been strolling through some of the posts on this site regarding the 848 and its limited cruising range. Like most folks, I didn’t purchase an 848 just to ride around town and be seen. I truly wanted something with a track oriented pedigree capable of handling mountain roads. The mountain roads in my immediate area are generally serviced by mom & pop gas stations that may, or may not, be open when you need to refuel. In anticipation, I generally try to follow routes that are within the bike’s cruising range. However, unforeseen circumstances do arise. During one of these mountain rides I came upon an accident scene that caused a road closure near the end of my ride. I was forced to about-face and back-track clear to my point of origin (civilization). Luckily a fair portion of the return trip was down hill. By coasting as much as possible I was able to conserve enough fuel to make it back by the skin of my teeth.

The question:
Has anyone out there carried an extra bottle of fuel as an “emergency” reserve? I’ve been searching a few motorcycle accessory websites and haven’t been able to come across anything that’s street oriented or easily portable.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
as a dirt bike rider i often ride with an extra litre.theres a few options but most are alum containers carried on your person.doubt a litre will help a superbike much,and to carry more would be more hassle than its worth.i have seen oversize race tanks,thats probably the best and safest option

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Agreed..

I´ve looked into this aswell. The best option I´ve seen so far is to go to a local camping/outdoors shop and get a 1 liter or ~1 quart container that is used to store fuel for alcohol or oil lit stoves (Ask the clerk, they will definatly know, they are usually called Alcohol Fuel Bottles). Get one in aluminium or even titanium and make sure it´s O-ring sealed.

Going one step further is to add a 24 liter race tank to your bike. Those are costly, but add ALOT of range. But they also look good and are very secure.

//amullo

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Google MSR Fuel Bottles. They make a lot of different sizes, and I think you can get them at REI. The problem is finding a place to put them on an 848 without some sort of soft luggage system. You should also check your state laws, as I think it might be illegal to carry fuel in a container separately while on a motorcycle in some states (I'm 99% sure this is the case in CA).

To get a decent amount of miles out of your extra fuel it will take quite a few bottles, as an aggressively-ridden Ducati is going to get around 30mpg, so a decent size fuel bottle (say 30oz.) isn't even going to get you another 10 miles of range. Unless you bring a bunch of bottles it almost isn't worth the hassle.

You're probably better off putting a GPS on your bike and planning your routes carefully to include gas stops. Or get a Multistrada or ST.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I'm using this on my bike.

ETI Fuel Tank - 5.62 gallon 848-1198

It was expensive, but I sold the original fuel tank to help pay for it.
My original tank was barely barely had enough gas to make it to the fuel stop on my favorite local road. Now I'm able to run the fun section several times and still have enough to make detours.

-M

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
That's the way to do it. No way would I want to carry an extra container of fuel with me on the bike, apart from the hassle of organising it, where to put it, what happens if you crash etc a larger tank is the best option by far.

Not that we need it here in England, I don't think I'm ever more than 20 miles from the nearest gas station but I once had a Honda VTR1000 which would only do 80 miles on a tank, which was a real PITA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts