Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to share that i am now the 2009 OMRRA OpenTwins SuperSport Champion on my stock (save for a pipe and DP chiped ECU) 2006 999R.

for my race report and a video of the superbike race which i got second in and was within 4 tenths of a second of the lap record for twins superbike go to

www.eldrat.com and click on the blog.

thanks!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Congrats on your achievement! ;)

I read your blog and watched the video. I'm shocked how some of the other racers are scared of those long corners. There were a few close calls out there from you going MUCH quicker then everyone else. Those 1098's would disappear on you and then in the first sweeper, you'd be right on their ass in corner one, amazing stuff.

I'm also shocked the race was so small, only a few people in the class all together. Are they're just not that many twins up there?

Anyhow, good work! I'm doin' the same thing this year, but my season doesn't end until the end of November, so I can't make any claims to the outcome until then.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we lost some riders to mechanicals early on in the season, and in general the grids for twins are smaller. thats why we are looking at doing more AFM and WERA/AMA next year... which is sad because PIR is a very SAFE track.. safest in the pacific NW... and damn fun!

there wasnt much support in our area sadly untill Cheshire Motorsports stepped up. Daric Cheshire used to be an AMA Pro Thunder Ducati mechanic and i believe crew chief. he has the passion and loves the racing.

the local dealership is more concerned with coffee shop appeal and offers zero support to racers.

We have a four man team me being the top rider for now... my teamate that i was following in 3rd for a bit there is 15 years old... he is amazing... and that was his first weekend on the 1198S..... we are looking to do more series next year. he is gonna be a super star... we went to T hill and he turned 1.59s on a 2003 BONE STOCK r 6.... the kids got chops.. i wont beat him for long... but i hope to help get him to were he will eventually be.. super great kid and awesome family of racers...

thanks for looking... and those bikes were built 1198 's btw... :) so yea they really leave me behind in the open sections... i have spent some time on GP 125s and really learned how to carry some mad corner speed with them..... not to mention i anit too bad on the brakes.. what ever works right?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
AFM/WERA is a far cry from a single track series. I run a single track series and the travel of AFM/WERA makes my head spin. I'm 7 hrs from T hill, which is one hell of a commute! :rolleyes:

AFM/WERA don't have many concessions for twins. Supersport/Superbike nonsense all over again, which is just retarded. If ya got 16.5" wheels, your screwed. If you run slicks in the SBK class, you've gotta change wheels between the races...They don't make it very easy for one bike to run multiple classes. They think the rules are making it cheaper for people, but in reality its more of a pain in the ass if you wanna be competitive. What ends up happening is people give up on twins and inline 4's dominate all the classes. Last weekend at WERA there were only a hand-full of heavyweight twins on the grid, everyone else was an inline 3 or 4 cylinder machine. The twins seem to be dying on the vine in these series. :(

I've finally got a team idea together for next season, but it seems ridiculous to even run a twin unless you can race with the 600cc machines and destroy them... Thats a hard proposition.

:sigh: IDK what to do, I'm just frustrated... had to vent. :eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
agreed! but i have some ideas .. i see an 848 in my future.. and my niner getting some serious love.. again, nice to share and have your interest... now wheres your vids and results! LOL

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Superbike rules aren't meant to be cheaper for any series. Superstock is cheaper - and the fast guys run their SS bikes in SB and do just fine.

Twins are never going to have huge grids, as cool as they are and as much as I personally like them, they're just not popular.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree MONGO... that is why why i run a SS bike, i finished pretty well in Sb... i was even 4 tenths away from setting the lap record for SB twins on my 150ish HP 999..... the record was on a 180 HP 1098 SB with carbon brakes and everything known to man to be badass...

.... why i run a Duc is because i have more passion than brains...

nice site and impressive results tye. now.... i am hoping we get a change to ride against each other.

i am trying to get the funds together for Miller in 2 weeks. but be warned if our paths cross, i am on fire, and my bike has never been better! :) and i am not opposed to throwing an elbow out at speed. :) cleanly of course! :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Superbike rules aren't meant to be cheaper for any series. Superstock is cheaper - and the fast guys run their SS bikes in SB and do just fine.
Thats right, but what that means is, if you built a SBK for another series, you basically can't run it.

Twins are never going to have huge grids, as cool as they are and as much as I personally like them, they're just not popular.
I know your tired of hearing this, but at WSMC twins have decent grids, sometimes 15 or more Ducati's, Aprilia's, Buell's, RC51's, you name it. The problem is, without the open-ruled classes for twins and the rules designed to promote twins ONLY, nobody will bother trying to ride those classes if they can just ride inline 4's. In my humble opinion, WERA doesn't have twins because of the rules.

If you had classes like WSMC does: LWT, MWT, HWT and Formula Twins, all 4 classes only aloud to have twins in them, you'd see the twins come back. None of this supersport, superstock, superbike, superhappy bullshit. If your a twin and your CC group matches the class, come on in and play! I'd also make the MWT's open for 848's. That way you guys would have a specific class with the soul intention on making it an 848 class. I tell ya, that will interest people. ;)

Ohh and its just a suggestion! ;)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
i agree MONGO... that is why why i run a SS bike, i finished pretty well in Sb... i was even 4 tenths away from setting the lap record for SB twins on my 150ish HP 999..... the record was on a 180 HP 1098 SB with carbon brakes and everything known to man to be badass...
Just because you've got a fancy bike, doesn't mean you know how to ride! LOL :rolleyes: I see that a lot of times, guys going quick because they're on EX-AMA bikes. Then they crash and never come back, which happens a lot. This is why have a middleweight bike and run against the big boys in the heavyweight class.

.... why i run a Duc is because i have more passion than brains...
I run a Duc because I feel there is no excuse for those who ride Ducati's and can't rape Jap bikes. I plan on figuring that out and remedying the issue... many have tried, but I plan on succeeding. When I either succeed or give up, that will be when I get a different machine.

nice site and impressive results tye.
Thanks, Its a beginning, mind you this is my rookie year. I have a lot to learn and am hoping by the end of this season (roughly 4 months left) I'll have resolved some of my major issues and will be ready to kick-ass in January when it all starts back up again.

now.... i am hoping we get a change to ride against each other.
I'm always up for a challenge, especially at the beginning of a season. The problem is, I can't take any risks right now. I've got a motor that needs rebuilding soon, I've got a championship I'm about to wrap up, you know the drill. Perhaps next season when the points battle starts again, I can have some fun, especially if I've got another bike sitting at home, ready to roll if my main bike kicks the bucket! :rolleyes:

be warned if our paths cross, i am on fire, and my bike has never been better! :) and i am not opposed to throwing an elbow out at speed. :) cleanly of course! :)
Be careful!!! I'm still un-beaten on any other Ducati's besides 1098's! LOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
updated my site with pictures and whatnot... check it out!

oh and dont tell anyone.. but looks like i might be doing a full AFM season on a supersport 848... sponsored by.......... well too soon to leak it.. but its gonna be good.... :)

http://blog.eldrat.com/

·
Registered
342 Posts
Awesome job Drat! Thanks for sharing - it sounds like you can really rip on that 999R! Hopefully I'll see you out there with the AFM next season.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just because you've got a fancy bike, doesn't mean you know how to ride!
agreed.. but that record was set by one of the fastest guys in our Club. he has been overall for all classes number 2 number 3 and number 4 plate in the past. i am gonna own that record next year though... :) well maybe rent to own it.. possibly lease it... :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good question... my take on it is that the 1098s built dont hold up i guess... cracking cases and cylinders. the wieght savings that Ducati did compromised durability on the 1098 IMO.. i am told the 1198 is better.. but i dont know... and those 1198 bikes didnt pop.. i believe there were 2 WMRRA motors that popped and my teamates 1098s as well. the sad part is my teamates is a new bike that doesnt have hard miles on it and its a stock motor.. yes its been raced.. but only to the extent that a track day / spirited street guy would ride. no offense to him but he wasnt up to speed on that bike. he never abused it.. bounced it of the limiter or abused the tranny...

bad weekend for some.. good weekend for others.. and great year for me! :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The base bikes seem to always have issues. My friend had his 999 pop on him and another one of my friends had a 1098 pop. Yet, all the R's seem to be in tact. The R's are built tighter from the factory, thats really the only difference. I mean, I beat the living shit out of my 749R. I rate it at 12,000 RPM redline, yet every time I do a compression test, its right on the money. I hate to say it right now, but my 749R has been the most reliable race/track bike I've ever owned. My 748 went pop twice in one year! :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts