Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize in advance for posting a tire thread. I will accept all reasonable criticisms/cussing out!

My stock Scorpions are just about used up, especially the rear, after just over 3000 miles. Don't have any huge complaints about the stock rubber, but I've definitely ridden on better. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Michelin Road 5, as folks on the forum seem to love them. I average 3-5k miles a year at best on my bikes. Majority is day trips in twisties. 1 to 2 touring trips a year.

The Pirelli Rosso 4 has me intrigued about what affect they may have enhancing the handling on the Pikes Peak. I like the 3 compound rear with improved cornering load structure, accordingto Pirelli. I figure they won't last as long as the Road 5 for sure. I can't remember the last time I bought a set of tires that weren't Pirelli. Not interested in the Angel GT 2 and it's linear grooves. Anybody tried the Rosso 4 yet on a Multi? Think 3 to 4k is possible on the rear? Safer to just switch to Michelin?

Again, apologies for the tire post. Just getting hung up on making the final choice. Appreciate any input as always!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im at 5k miles on Dunlop roadsmart IV. Previously used Q3+ (previous cycle) and had no issues at all.
I think they grip the road just as well as the Q3+, wet traction is great, (just did almost 1300 miles in the rain, at the dragon and surrounding roads)
starting to develop a flat spot on the rear as I commute 90 miles a day round trip. I expect to get 8-9k miles on the set.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,865 Posts
I switched from the stock Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s after they wore out at 4,200 miles and now have the Road 5.
You can still get, as Pirelli still makes, the original Angel GT.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I too ride on Dunlop Road Smarts, I use my motorcycles now more for commuting then anything but still want good handling, The Dunlops fit the bill for me ---Michelin Pilot roads have a more rounded tread profile which makes the steering slower & harder. Yes they do last a little bit longer but for me I just dont like the slower steering ---I have used the Dunlops on some nice twisties using the tread to the edges & have never felt anything to cause me any doubt. --The Michelin Pilot Roads I have never felt the same way

Reactions: Jeff_H

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buddy I ride with has a set of the Angel GT on his Kawi Concourse. He hauls a** with that thing and never complains about grip. We have similar styles and pace, so maybe the Angel GT should be a primary option as well. Kind of forgot about that one.

I switched from the stock Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s after they wore out at 4,200 miles and now have the Road 5.
You can still get, as Pirelli still makes, the original Angel GT.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I actually like the Scorpion II on my multi, first ride on it a rode to the edge of the rear so i'm getting confidence from somewhere.... maybe the skyhook suspension though, either way it's an epic bike!
They're just about knackered though so i'll be replacing them soon, i'm undecided on the scorpion II again or the Rosso with a Rosso Corsa on the front which is my go to set for my Diavel......

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the edge on the Scorpion arrives very quickly doesn't it? I'm even just about to the edge on the front as well. Always makes me wonder how much edge is left when I'm pushing a bit in the corners. I feel I would rather have a sportier tire that has a little more edge, whether I actually get to it or not.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Yes, the edge on the Scorpion arrives very quickly doesn't it? I'm even just about to the edge on the front as well. Always makes me wonder how much edge is left when I'm pushing a bit in the corners. I feel I would rather have a sportier tire that has a little more edge, whether I actually get to it or not.
Yeah same, i'm past the edge of the tread grooves on the front, thought i'd just become a riding god recently..... Thanks for that... LOL

·
Registered
2022 V4S Multistrada
11 Posts
Facts! I am happy with these tires and am leaning towards purchasing them again. 6500 miles and one trip to the dragon has these nearly done.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

This picture was taken after doing some light off-roading and then deciding to clean the tire off on the Dragon. I can not wait to go back. You should see the flat spots I ground into the foot pegs.

·
Registered
2011 Monster 1100 Evo, 2020 Multistrada 1260S, 2008 track 848
132 Posts
I have been using only scorpion trail II on my '12 1200S for 60'000km, life span from 6'000 to 10'000 km (3'700 to 6'200 miles) depending mostly on the type of road.
Moved to a '20 1260s, trail II dead after less than 4'000km-2'500 miles. There is this story about factory tires wearing faster than replacement ones...
Anyway, moved to diablo rosso IV for a trip around dolomites mountains. MUCH better, of course, easier to lean, more grip, more accuracy, although more movement on tarmac of uneven quality. Two weeks, weather was super hot with only 2 days of rain, only twisty roads and passes, they were dead on return (3'200km-2'000miles). Solo riding, quite light on luggage, just a few more pounds on the pilot after the Italian meals :)
Now moved to Angel GT II for winter season. 1'000km so far, no real complaints. Some more movement but overall gives good feedback of the current grip, even if lower than diablo.
And last point, my max lean angle is about the same (+-1 degree ) with all these tires, says the Ducati app

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hi @ Jeff_H,
I've had all of these: Scorpions (durable but the edges comes fast), Rosso Corsas, Supercorsas, Rosso 3 and Angel GT (not the 2"s).
I like the GT's and I even bought another rear ( so it's going to be GT's for awile) However, if I had to do it again, I would mount Rosso 3's. I have those on the Monster and they provide much more lean than the GT's. They're also rounder than the GT where you may feel some added height for foot-peg clearance. Keep in mind that I don't tour. I use the Multi 1260 as a town and country sportbike.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I went for the Conti Trail Attack 3's, i found the Scorpions too twitchy and vague in the wet or damp conditions. Front worn out at 8000kms rear just over half worn, so good milage from the Scorps.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi @ Jeff_H,
I've had all of these: Scorpions (durable but the edges comes fast), Rosso Corsas, Supercorsas, Rosso 3 and Angel GT (not the 2"s).
I like the GT's and I even bought another rear ( so it's going to be GT's for awile) However, if I had to do it again, I would mount Rosso 3's. I have those on the Monster and they provide much more lean than the GT's. They're also rounder than the GT where you may feel some added height for foot-peg clearance. Keep in mind that I don't tour. I use the Multi 1260 as a town and country sportbike.
I could barely get 2800 kms from the Rosso 3s DarR, nice tire, just not durable enough, my MV would eat them, the weight of a Multi would shred them on our roads.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is all excellent feedback. I had not considered how quickly the Rosso's would wear from the weight and torque of the Multi. I'm now leaning towards Road 5's with the Angel GT as an option. I appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey Jeff, this pic is off a Conti Road Attack 3 and a PR5 after 5000kms. I ran a set first PR5's then Conti's on both my 1290GT and my 1200Multi.There was no comparison, the Conti's were better everywhere, they handled the beating much better, both in the wet and dry. Now with me doing more gravel roads and back roads I've stayed with an adventure type tire in the Conti Trail attacks for my 950S. Conti are making great tires, im on the look out for a set of Conti Sport Attacks 4's for my 1290R. PS they are more expensive, but worth it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Dave! (Grabs pen, starts writing more notes)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Odd little tidbit, but I emailed Pirelli asking about how the construction of the new Rosso 4 would suit the Multi. They wrote back that the only approved and tested tire they can recommend is the Scorpion Trail 2 and I would have to ask Ducati...even though their website lists the Rosso and a bunch of others when you use the tire finder function. Seems like a disconnect somewhere...🙄

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've got over 4,000km on my Bridgestone T31's so far, and they look as good as new and I've never once felt I needed more grip.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts