Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was so hot the week before this, I went from riding to work every day to not at all. My old jacket (textile) is just not what is needed when commuting in 90 degree weather even with the liner out. I've put up with this on 'fun' rides for the last 17 years (yes, it really is that old!) but had enough.

I did some searching of summer weight jackets for a day or two and decided to see if my local shop had any of the short list on hand. I was going to buy an Olympia Airglide 3 if they'd come down a bit (they were $45 more than online) as it fit really well and has three two liners. But, they did not have a color I liked so I left without.

Next day I called to ask if the could get the color I wanted or if it was hidden in the back. The woman said they could order it, two days and no extra charge. I went back and tried it on again. Still like it but as she's taking care of others, I find a Viper in a better looking fluorescent yellow over black than the Airglide3 had (was going to order it in black/grey). Turns out it is the last one and she'd make a deal to move it. The construction is almost identical and feel's exactly the same. Only outward difference I could find is breast pocket zippers are slightly different.

Got it and a new balaclava out the door for $220. A little more than online (jacket only) but no waiting and she was pretty so....

I haven't ridden with it yet. But I think it's going to work great. It is really comfortable with and without each liner. I think I might leave the first liner in as I feel 'naked' with no liners in since the shell is a mesh type. I might be able to ride as late into the season as my old jacket because the second liner is a semi-quilted device and with all three in, there is some decent layering going on. Almost can't wait for fall. I know, stfu!

Just found this review/commercial:

More later.

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far, so good. I've worn it a few times and really like the fit and ventilation (still have the waterproof liner in).

Haven't washed it yet though I have VACUUMED it. Trip home from Mid-Ohio was non-stop, 80 miles, 85mph BUGS. Plastered is a good analogy as the bugs are now not just smashed on the surface but embedded in the mesh. After a day of 'curing', they came off/out pretty easily with a small hand vac.

It hasn't been as hot as what made me decide to buy a vented/mesh item but I can tell it is cooler even at lower temps thus far.

More to come when I remember.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, and a shout out to Steve's Tailoring and Men's Wear for saving my old jacket. I washed it the day after buying the new one, just as I always have over the last 17 years, and something elastic came loose. I never knew it had elastic but it was closing the arm holes at the entries and was generally jacked up. I was bummed.

I took it there as I had another regular jacket repaired some time ago and it came out perfect and was really cheap.

Anyhow, just got home with it and now it fits and feels better than new. Turns out the seams were sealed with a type of iron-on tape to make them waterproof (didn't know it was waterproof either) and it finally came loose from the washings/dryings. He removed all of it and sewed the liner back in (you can't tell it was apart) for TWELVE DOLLARS. I can spray it to make it WP again (not a concern).

I am psyched to still have my old one back from the dead.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just a note to say that when wearing this jacket without the liners (because it was supposed to be really hot and NO chance of rain) it does a decent job of limiting the pain from 90 mph rain needles. however, as one would assume, it doesn't do much to keep one dry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts