Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the '06 and '07 GTs have a slightly higher seat height than the '08-'09 models - 32.2" vs. 31.8". Anyone know how they lowered the later models? Thinner seat? Just curious.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't know about the 07--09 differance.

But can tell ya that my 07 with new comfort seat. I don't ride into the tank any longer and the comfort seat is flat easier to move around on. And better for moving from side to side on the pegs in the twisties. And seems lower to me...........But have not measured for any differance. My wife loves the new comfort seat...................So even if I did not like it......................her liking it makes us both smile....................LOL

·
Registered
985 Posts
Interesting! I went back to the stock set from the comfort seat, for the reasons that you list. I never slid into the tank, except for the first month or so of ownership, when I was first getting used to the bike's foibles.

I also found that the comfort seat had inadequate padding. I was forever hitting bumps and getting buttwhacked!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only found three situations where I've been a little too personal with the gas tank. 1) - steep downhills with 20lbs. in my backpack 2) - riding with slick new riding jeans after Armorall-ing the seat 3) - making a hard stop for a tricky light change while on a lunch ride with an attractive vendor I work with. Rest assured the discomfort experienced during the last occasion was more than mitigated by said vendor getting personal with me due to the same inertial forces:D

·
Registered
322 Posts
After a long ride

like 300 miles I would have to walk off a very stiff tail bone with the stocker. The comfort helps in that area better not much but better. At first I did not like the comfort seat..............But things seemed to change for now anyway. If I was going to do a track day to me the comfort would be the better seat for the job. I can move around on it very easy.............with it being so flat.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
2008 GT very comfortable

I have a 2008 GT with the stock seat and bars but with the windshield installed. I find the riding position and seat extremely comfortable. My GT has alot more vibration than my BMW R1200ST but the seat and riding position have got the Beemer beat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
all I have noticed is the length of the dampers, 2006/2007, length is 381mm, after they are shortened to 371mm, as I wanted to change them on my 2009, aftermarket manufacturer who had made some for the 2006 GT in france told me stock length is 381mm, measuring mines once taken off, 371mm... ducati announced a 1cm lowered seat in 2008, so I guess that's it....
by the way no one in ducati shops(in france again) had been able to give me the right length...:think:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all I have noticed is the length of the dampers, 2006/2007, length is 381mm, after they are shortened to 371mm, as I wanted to change them on my 2009, aftermarket manufacturer who had made some for the 2006 GT in france told me stock length is 381mm, measuring mines once taken off, 371mm... ducati announced a 1cm lowered seat in 2008, so I guess that's it....
by the way no one in ducati shops(in france again) had been able to give me the right length...:think:
gregor - forgive my ignorance, but where are the dampers you're referring to. Not steering dampers I assume since the GT doesn't come with one.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
In Europe they generally use the term Dampers to refer to what we call the Rear Shocks. We tend to refer to the whole assembly as "shocks," including the dampers and the springs.

10mm shorter shocks would certainly result in a lower seat height, and, since it would move the axle up even more than 10mm, that could be the whole story.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
major - that certainly makes sense about how the lower seat height was accomplished. I assume that would lessen the notorious love it or hate it rear wheel gap as well. Now I'll have to carefully compare older and new GT pics to see if this is the case.:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
My friend has just taken delivery of an 09 GT....and went straight to a suspension place to get the bike lowered....anyway...$3000 + later and she has the rears replaced with Wilbers and the fronts recartridged with decent stuff.

Ok....I am not THAT competitive...however...

I bought the top of the range Wilbers for my bike...didn't opt for any lowering ( I am 172cm or 5'8")....and I am amazed at the difference in the stand still height of the bike. You get on the bike an the shocks seem to compress so your standing more flat footed.

I could wax on how great they are for track etc...however I honestly recommend....get rid of those CRAP rear shocks. If your height challenged....I have been riding around on my stock suspension with a stripped seat..less than 1" of MEMORY foam...the seat base stripped down to the frame...so as thin as possible and it's a low as possible.
( I am making a custom solo seat so me and my shortasssed G/F can both ride the bike)

I was amazed the difference the shocks made....maybe that standard ones are made for heavy people who like a very firm rough ride.

PM me if you want pics to see what your seat looks like when all the flop is removed.

Cheers Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts