Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone;
I'm an older rider. Today I rode an ST 3 and really liked the bike but it put pressure on my wrists. I rode about 20 miles and my wrists definitely bothered me. The salesman told me that I would get used to it after a couple of weeks. Anyone had experience with this. I hate to spend that much $ if I will be limited in how much I can ride.
Alternatively, how about bar risers? Does the stock windshield work with risers.
This is my first post on this forum. Thanks for the help.
Ron

·
Still needs a life.
12,515 Posts
Oldskier said:
Hi Everyone; I'm an older rider. Today I rode an ST 3 and really liked the bike but it put pressure on my wrists.
Welcome to Ducati.MS. How old is old? Many of us STriders are in our Fabulous Fifties and Soaring Sixties. I had Heli bars on my 01-ST4 and 02-ST4s, but I am keeping with the stockers in the showroom floor setting (high) on my 04-ST4s.

What were your previous bikes? If you are used to an upright cruiser and barring a medical condition, you may just need more seat time on the ST3 to build up the critical support muscles, such as the back and abs. Try using you legs more to support yourself rather than putting all your weight on your arms and wrists.

Have you done much riding on the ST3 over 50mph? At highway speeds the wind against your chest will push you off the bars a bit and relieve the pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Welcome Oldskier, Keeping in mind our bodies all react differently; I've ridden my 04 ST3 on some long day runs without complaint of sore wrists or what have you. Logged 23k+ so far. Stock bars, I'm 51 yrs, 5'11" and not as fit as I should be.

Have you considered the Multistrada? Affords even more upright body position.

Wish you well on your duck hunt. jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Old age and trechery overcomes youth and skill!

Bought my ST3 13 months ago at age 55, after 11 years on Gold Wings. Just like they told you, took a little while to get used to it - maybe a couple of months? Wasn't really a big problem for me. At about 70 MPH, aerodynamic forces take over and support my weight (170 lbs, 5'9") almost completely so it's really not an issue at all at highway speeds.

Also some getting_used_to_it in the back and knees, but also not a big deal. Haven't done any big mileage trips, but all-day local club rides aren't a problem.

Re: Multistrada, upright, but you need a really long inseam to straddle it, which could be a transition problem of it's own.

"Just do it!" and welcome to the family!

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
187 Posts
its what you get used to.
Having toured on R1's for 7yrs. the ST is quite a bit more relaxed.
Also supporting my upper body with my lower body keeps the
imput-ok most of it- limited to steering. as opposed to stiff arming the
thing or hanging on.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love the riding position of the ST3...Make sure the bars are raised to their highest setting, as they are adjustable. I had a Suzuki TL1000R before my ST3, and the most milage I was able to put on in a day was 350, and my wrists would hurt for 2 weeks after...I can do more than that on my ST3 with ease (beginning of the season there is a little discomfort until I build up those muscles again)...I have enjoyed the bike thus far.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I put heli bar risers and a zero gravity touring wind shield on my 04 st3 and love it. The bar risers make for a more upright riding position and the wind shield puts the air stream at the top of your helmet. You will love the st3, it is a great bike. David

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can go with either the Helibars or Cycle Cat...

they're both excellent products, you really can't go wrong with either. The Cycle Cats are a little more expensive, but offer more adjustability. I have the Helibars on my ST4s, and really like what they do for my old back (60 now). You will still have to work a little on using your stomach/abdomen muscles to upright yourself occasionally to take the weight off your wrists for a rest, but you do get used to the position as everyone says above.

Try it, you'll love it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info.

Hi everyone:
Thanks for the replies. I'm 62 years old but my hearing is still good enough to appreciate that Ducati sound. I've been riding for about five years, had a couple of cruisers. Now I ride a V-Strom 1000 and and a Honda XR650L.
I've located a good deal on a new, never sold 04 ST 3. I really liked the bike but, as I stated, was concerned about the comfort. I'm in good physical shape so I guess I will adapt.
Ron

·
Registered
397 Posts
My wrists hurt, too. But I did what many are telling you. I have Helis and a half inch thick riser under them, foam grip pads that fit over my stock grips. The best thing that I ever did was to lift weights with my wrists. I lift 5 to 10 lbs by placing my arm on a bench and holding the weight with my palm down, then I lift up. Secondly, move your body weight while you ride.

I have a 2003 ST4s and I wanted a 9xx, but realized that the ST series fit me the best for my riding.

I hope this info helps you.

Dave Harhay

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
acpdx said:
its what you get used to.
Well said! I'm 59 and ride a Paul Smart - talk about a lay down riding position . . . and I have arthritis in both of my hands. But I can still ride it. You get used to it.

The ST3 is actually a comfortable bike - relatively speaking. And you can make modifications . . . such as bar risers. So don't be put off by your first ride - and the dealer is not trying to BS you just to sell a bike.

But also remember that there are other choices . . . such as the Multistrada and the Monster . . . if you want a more sit up ride.

Good luck.

·
Chilehead
6,870 Posts
What's worked for me was to lower the bars, and raise the brake levers. Opposite of what evereyone else says, but it works for me.

And I had carpal-tunnel surgery on my left wrist, that really helped. Couldn't ride my bike for nearly a week, though.

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the information and the welcome!

Well, I bought the ST3. You all made me feel much better about it. I pick up the bike on Tuesday. At my age it's not often that I get to be the newest anything--But I'm the newest Ducati rider.
Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
old and sore wrists

i experience the same problem every spring, even with heli lugs on the st3. best solutions is just get out and ride. you will condition the muscles and tendons quickly, and in short time won't notice any strain. no matter what you do every spring will result with the same reconditioning. just part of riding a ducati.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm 54, in decent shape and there was no way I could ride the ST-3 with the stock bars. I went to Convertibars,( 4" rise), foam grip covers from California Sport Touring and the heavy Throttlemeister cruise control. I also have the lowering pegs I purchased from a member of this Forum. All in all, it's now a very comfortable ride for me.
Jack.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There's truly no "one size fits all" answer to this. I'm 50, in 5'9" and 160#. No question that I do feel it in my wrists more than my last bike (ST1100 Honda), but amazingly my back doesn't hurt like it did on the Honda. Someting about the positioning completely takes the stress off my low back. Once you get moving, the wind will give you enough lift to ease the pressure on your wrists. It is noticable at 60 or so.

Enjoy the Ducati. It's huge fun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I'm also at 62, a re-entry rider after a long absence now on a brand B bike. The local dealer in Tucson is tempting me with a ST-3S and a Multistrada. But after a 330 mile ride last weekend with the last 1/3 of the ride in fairly cool temps and rain I like the idea of the full fairing. If I got a Multi, I'd probably keep the BMW but a ST-3 would replace it. So little time, so many rides. . .

Like Oldskier, I'm concerned about the weight on the wrists. You guys' comments and thoughts have been appreciated. I knew about the heli bars but not about the taller wind screen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm 53 and have osteo-arthritis in both hands. I find the stock ST3 (05 MY) bars (on highest position) fine, even after 800 km.

I really think that you need to wait a few months to see how you go. MY other bike has a very sporty riding position, and the ST3 is so upright/low pressure on wrists compared to that.

You will love your ST - a really fun bike to ride.

cheers

Doc

·
Still needs a life.
12,515 Posts
ST riding position in general

jneglia said:
There's truly no "one size fits all" answer to this. I'm 50, in 5'9" and 160#. No question that I do feel it in my wrists more than my last bike (ST1100 Honda), but amazingly my back doesn't hurt like it did on the Honda. Someting about the positioning completely takes the stress off my low back. Once you get moving, the wind will give you enough lift to ease the pressure on your wrists. It is noticable at 60 or so.

Enjoy the Ducati. It's huge fun.
I have a bad back. The riding position of the ST series puts your back in that curved position the medical people say is best. My old Honda CB900C had a full upright position. I would start slouching after a few miles and wind up with a sore back after a long ride.

I completed a 200 mile ride yesterday. My back is a bit sore, which I attribute to being out of shape and not having done much riding since my old bike got totaled 6 months ago. I should add that I am 56, about 5'10", and weigh way too much.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.