Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I’m in the middle of a project, basically trying to stick an 848 swing on onto an old 1984 yamaha xv920.. seemed like a good idea at the time!

I’ve been researching wheels and think a five spoke would look much better on the old bike than the newer 848 10 spoke Marchesini wheels.

from what I’ve found is that some 5 spoke Marchesini wheels don’t fit from the 748 916 996 fit is it just the forged ones that foul the caliper?

Ive also noticed that the multistrada 1000 had a similar looking 5 spoke which are 17x5.5. Does anyone know if these would fit? I haven’t found any info on someone doing this swap.

Would really appreciate some help to get this swap going!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is the one I’d like to fit. Anyone have any luck? I think I read somewhere the valve needs to be 90 degrees so it doesn’t foul anything. Just the caliper I’m worried about

This wheel is slightly different is it an older rim? It’s from 748 does this one fit?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Even if you have one of the rare chain drive Viragos, this is going to be a tough job.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Need it! Should be fun. It is indeed a chain drive. The swing arm is going to need new mounting points as I’m using the stock shock position. I’ve had a few idea. 3d printed a dog as a test but I think the simplest option is welding it in new mounts on the Ducati swing arm. I was hoping to get it rolling and then figure out the mounts. Hence the wheel questions!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s a good idea! I’m a little worried about offset issues further down the line when lining up the front and back.

So think I might get this from an S4R, shame it’s white tho!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
3 mm offset is liveable, any more makes the front feel bent but still doable. 10 mm max. You can space out and if needed you can take some off the face to get it to the right

·
Registered
11 Posts
XRACER, In the interest of expanding my Moto-knowledge, do you mean that a few millimeters of offset front to rear wheel is OK and likely not even noticeable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts