Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I’m in the middle of a project, basically trying to stick an 848 swing on onto an old 1984 yamaha xv920.. seemed like a good idea at the time!

I’ve been researching wheels and think a five spoke would look much better on the old bike than the newer 848 10 spoke Marchesini wheels.

from what I’ve found is that some 5 spoke Marchesini wheels don’t fit from the 748 916 996 fit is it just the forged ones that foul the caliper?

Ive also noticed that the multistrada 1000 had a similar looking 5 spoke which are 17x5.5. Does anyone know if these would fit? I haven’t found any info on someone doing this swap.

Would really appreciate some help to get this swap going!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is the one I’d like to fit. Anyone have any luck? I think I read somewhere the valve needs to be 90 degrees so it doesn’t foul anything. Just the caliper I’m worried about

This wheel is slightly different is it an older rim? It’s from 748 does this one fit?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Even if you have one of the rare chain drive Viragos, this is going to be a tough job.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. Need it! Should be fun. It is indeed a chain drive. The swing arm is going to need new mounting points as I’m using the stock shock position. I’ve had a few idea. 3d printed a dog leg as a test but I think the simplest option is welding it in new mounts on the Ducati swing arm. I was hoping to get it rolling and then figure out the mounts. Hence the wheel questions!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s a good idea! I’m a little worried about offset issues further down the line when lining up the front and back.

So think I might get this from an S4R, shame it’s white tho!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
3 mm offset is liveable, any more makes the front feel bent but still doable. 10 mm max. You can space out and if needed you can take some off the face to get it to the right

·
Registered
14 Posts
XRACER, In the interest of expanding my Moto-knowledge, do you mean that a few millimeters of offset front to rear wheel is OK and likely not even noticeable?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay cool that’s helpful. Those billet calipers do look cool. Not sure it’s in the budget!

Is there an offset difference in wheels?
I have 32mm as a rough offset to the swing arm is the stock one different?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 25mm offset from the 848 swingarm to the stock 998 wheel
Thanks for the measurement, just want to check im measuring this in the same place as it might mean a different wheel! the actual wheel offset was 23mm-ish. If you have a min could you check this measurement below? the very end of the rim straight out to the swing arm. 5mm might make all the difference!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the measurement, just want to check im measuring this in the same place as it might mean a different wheel! the actual wheel offset was 23mm-ish. If you have a min could you check this measurement below? the very end of the rim straight out to the swing arm. 5mm might make all the difference! View attachment 980697
using the same location for measurement
image.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, crap! so I guess these wheels have a different offset! didnt think there would be a difference. I called ducati but they said look in the manual or go to a dealer, so not that usefull.. Thanks for the help kwikryder! Might need to start a new post just on wheel offset! might be useful to know...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi Bosch,

I'm sorry but I think you are measuring the offset on the wrong place.
The offset should be measured from the centre of the wheel to the flange where you mount the wheel.
And as far as I know all the single sided swingarm ducati's have the same offset! (OEM wheels)
So you can swap the wheels in between all the ss bikes

The way you measure (that's not the offset) there can be different due to difference in wheel width 5.0, 5.5 or 6.0 inch. (but with the same offset)

The story about the 90 degrees valve...,
If you use the old 748/916/996/998 brake disc the wont be any risk for interference with the caliper.
If you are using the brake disc from the newer bikes 848/1098 you'll nee the 90 degrees elbow valve.
These rotors are larger in diameter.

I've done three different swingarm/wheel swaps now so if you got any questions?!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Stille! Fortunately the wheel actually came with 90 degree valve! I still need to get a caliper but am in the middle of modifying the frame and make a set of top hats to mount the swing arm.

The actual offset is about 23mm (5.5) I think it’s okay. It does line up with the pivot mounting point but if i could find a wheel that sits closer to the swing arm it would give me a bit more wiggle room.
I’m sure I’ll have more questions one I get further into the project! Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts