Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yea, here I am, another day at my home track "autoclub speedway or better known as fontucky" and we all saw that video on Ben Spies talking at Miller about always running used tires to learn how to side the bike around. Well, thats something I picked up from another friend of mine and its a great trick. Use the 1/2 have of the day to use up that old tire, switch it around noon and get out on a newer set to finish off the day as people pack up and go home early.

So my front has been used for 1 race day, 1 practice weekend and 3 sessions in the morning. My rear had 1 practice weekend on it (flipped mid day) and 3 sessions. By the 4th session, it was letting loose under power almost everywhere I went, so that got swapped out. The 5th session, the bike felt good, no issue from the front, no issues from the rear, back on pace. The 6th session after my warm up lap, I got through 2 corners and I trail braked into the 3rd like always and WOOPS... there goes the front and I'm tumbling.

DAM!

I get up, run over to the bike, which had popped me off at least 30 feet away. Turned it off and ran behind a bunker (out of the impact zone) and thought for a second. Shit, why did I go out on a super old tire? Kicking the hay bails, the track day provider had no choice but to red flag the session to get my ugly bike off the track and into the crash truck, yet again. The medics checked me over, but there was nothing wrong with me, just another broken ego.

So this gets into the next topic of what happened to the bike? Well, it was a 40 mph 2nd gear crash, so not like the last one, which was at least 80mph. I love my bike because with the frame sliders, there wasn't really any damage to the bike. The rear sets are break-away, so the side that hit the ground was gone. Funny enough, as I picked up the bike with the help of the other guys, I grabbed the clutch lever by accident and it broke off in my hand. IDK if the fall did it or what, but again; it was a break-away piece and wasn't fold-up like the brake side. Other then the brake lever and rear set, the bike looked as grubby as it did going into the day.

I replaced the tire, fixed the problems with the bike and went back on track after and hour and 1/2 rest. I payed attention to corner 3 a bit more then normal, seeing if I figure out why the crash happened, but didn't see anything wrong in my riding style, it had to have been the chewed-up and trashed tire. Oh well, live and learn! I otherwise had a great day.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
9,757 Posts
That's good that you learned from your crash and you were able to quickly identify what caused it.

Have you ever thought of CRG shortie levers? I've got them on my big bike and I've grown very fond of them. The clutch took some getting used to but now that I've got the 29mm slave on it should be better. I adapted immediately to the front brake cause I never used more than two fingers anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
255 Posts
That sucks! Glad you are OK. I had a similar situation that made me reevaluate how much I liked racing. I decided my tires were good for a 2nd race and was pushing trying to make up time on the guy leading when I tucked the front at about 120MPH. Same line, same speed same everything as far as I can remember but the front just went away. So I saved $400 on tires but tore up about $1000 worth of stuff on the bike. Needless to say I dont mess around with old tires any more. :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what type of rear-sets are you using?
Slingshot racing. They seem to make the cheapest and best stuff out there. The peg holder assembly which mounts to the bike is super strong, the pegs themselves seem to be lighter weight aluminum and break off. I've dropped the bike 3 times now and every time, the only thing that broke was the peg itself, which are only $30 bux.

Have you ever thought of CRG shortie levers?
All of my friends who have those short levers, have broken them in crashes and destroyed the master cylinders. The brembo's are designed to fall apart in a crash, so you don't ruin the master cylinder. I'm going to invest in fold-up's for both sides... they're cheap enough, just need to find'em! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
655 Posts
So my front has been used for 1 race day, 1 practice weekend and 3 sessions in the morning. My rear had 1 practice weekend on it (flipped mid day) and 3 sessions.

I once had a 4 hour race (120+ laps at Infineon), sprint races the next day and then a full practice day followed by 4 sprint races the next weekend on one set of tires.

The tires still felt good, I only changed them because they had a lot of miles on them.

You'd be suprised how long a good set of tires will last.

Of course, these were Michelins!

·
comrade moderator
27,345 Posts
If you want to learn how to slide around and ride loose you need a dirt bike. Doing it on a roadrace bike is kinda silly, IMO.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Long ago interview with Rossi had him practicing on a dirt bike with knobby front and road rear..can't do anything BUT slide.

Then again if it's like sliding a car.. it's hella fun when it's working

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, using worn tires has some huge benefits. One of which is testing the bike and finding your best suspension setting. With a more worn tire, you can find the slip point very easily and try to compensate with the suspension to make it not slip. I always use this technique at that particular track because its pretty safe to crash there. Then at mid-day, I swap on some new tires and go to work...

I use Dunlop slicks and they were both medium compound, which on a Dunlop is pretty soft. I also don't really think it was JUST the tire, I'm fairly sure I trail braked a bit too much. One of my buddies think I hit the rear set on the ground. I mean, it really could have been anything. A new tire and a quick lap right after the crash, doing the same maneuver, only added to the confusion because everything was fine.

Ohh well... no harm no foul.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I take it this was why you weren't at Pahrump this weekend?! A bunch of very nice Ducati's out there, but yours wasn't to be found.
Actually, the bike is fine, I fixed it at the track and will be riding it this coming weekend for WSMC.

The reason why I didn't go was because, if I had one more "woops" pushing it hard, I'd have to be spending some money I don't have. I'm broke as a joke right now, having just bought a new clutch and had back to back trackdays for the last month. Heck, I missed my local WERA event, mainly due to finances. I'm focused on winning a championship and the more I crash at other tracks just dicking around having fun, the more likely I'll be injured or might not be able to afford to put the bike back together again.

Once I've got enough points to guarantee my two championships... I'll go back to goofing around at track days. Late October until whenever the last event is of the year, which I think is Buttonwillow in December! YUMM! ;)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Im curious, isn't sliding the front bad in every situation? so except for setting up the suspension is there any reason to use a worn out front tire?
I understand a crappy rear tire, but a shit front tire?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts