Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!,
Just bought this used (MTECH) Old Times jacket, made in Ukraine, around 2005, jacket is in good overall condition, but pretty dirty and leather feels little dry. I wish to use Dainese cleaning Kits to give it some care.

Anybody here has tried with these kits (standard or vintage kit?) on this particular jacket to comment me the results?
Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
First of all, that is how it is supposed to look. The leather has been treated to look weathered. I have had two of those, one like yours and the grey one and even had the rare as hell matching pants.

You don't have to get the Dainese kit, just get a good brand cleaner and follow with a conditioner.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice! I love the grey version (more than mine), and amazing about the pants!.
Something like Lexol conditioner?(I'm worried about the light coloured sleeves), mostly my upper back panel looks dry, suspect was under some rain.
Kind regards

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Exactly Lexol. I hesitated to mention a brand not knowing what was available there. I used it and it did not affect the color. Even if you don't totally recover the jacket to new condition, it was made to look old and a bit weathered.
Good luck and congrats on a great find.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I have Lexol but never tried it as my reputable local vintage leather jacket shop suggested a water based conditioner, Penguin leather conditioner, which I use on all my jackets, including the two Old Times jackets, which are my fav. They also strongly warned to stay away from anything other than water based conditioners. I may have to try this Lexol product which I bought for my shoes.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Original-Penguin-Leather-Lotion/dp/B000XWIBGU[/ame]

Seems to work just fine, though it doesn't "clean" as well as I'd like and I think that any embedded grease like substance is going to be tough to get out. I use the above more as leather preservative. Wish I could find the accompanying pants for these Old Times jackets...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much! That is great info! I will try the penguin lotion. Good to know is water based, i've heard that water based products not oversoften leather and are more gentle. Are your jackets (or one of them) like mine w cream sleeves? Thanks again for your reply. You guys are very helpful. I looked for this jacket long time and dont want to ruin it. Gracias! Happy new year :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Lexol cleaner/conditioner on all of my coats and it works great. For reference, i have a vintage horsehide jacket that was a lot smoother after treating and a Dainese R Twin that has a similar vintage leather to your Old times jacket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use Lexol cleaner/conditioner on all of my coats and it works great. For reference, i have a vintage horsehide jacket that was a lot smoother after treating and a Dainese R Twin that has a similar vintage leather to your Old times jacket.
Lexol for everything leather. Best stuff out there and will not harm or discolor even lighter colored leather.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You don't have to get the Dainese kit, just get a good brand cleaner and follow with a conditioner.

Enjoy.
Of note, Dainese Leather protection kits are made by Leather Master. You can find tons of non-Dainese branded Leather Master kits on eBay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts