Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Las Vegas! I am a long time lurker on this site. The information here has helped convert my 2004 ST4S into the naked love of my life. And I want to say thanks to the many contributors that makes things like that possible. I know that some here will not appreciate what I have done to the ST. But, before criticizing too much, know that three factors made me do what I am doing. 1 - The heat of summer driving in Vegas traffic is murder on any bike that is not liquid cooled. 2 - My budget limited my choices of a liquid cooled Ducati to a 996 Desmoquattro. 3 - I could not stand hiding that beast of a motor and the beauty of the frame from the world. So far, I have made the bike lighter by a bit over 90 lbs. Installed a Power Commander. Modified the intake box and used a K&N filter. Modified the pipes and mufflers. Relocated many of the electronic components and battery. Hand polished the handlebars to metal. Paint and shining everywhere. I will polish the footpeg assemblies the same as the handle bars eventually. And I would love to find a smaller, sportier type fairing that would fit my headlight assembly, if anyone has a suggestion please. I am using a map I got from a local Ducati mechanic and I am in awe of the torque and power this motor has. The brakes and handling are the best I have experienced. In fact, at this point in my life, I can say that I think I have the bike I will ride the rest of my life. I am a simple man with simple needs from a motorcycle. And she more than makes me happy...

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Just a thought about your desire for a sportier fairing, have you considered switching to a Monster style headlight and that little bikini faring they come with..

Plenty of used ones out there for not much $$ and it would compliment your front fender to a T.

L8tr
Pete

Reactions: JammanLV

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Welcome and it is great you have made the bike your own. I do not think you have done anything wrong with the ST as I do not see them in the collector class of Ducati's so make it work for you and enjoy a great bike!

I have a tall customer who made his ST4 his track bike because he is tall and the superboke of the day simply did not fit him. The St chassis has worked just fine on the track so the bike simply IS a taller /more comfortable superbike. Another Canadian customer has also tracked his ST4S because it was what he has, I am still surprised at how much lighter the bike can be .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the greeting. I am looking forward to learning more and sharing what I can...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Mojo66. I was thinking my bike was starting to look like a freak Monster already. The idea of perpetuating that seems the way to go!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ducvet. I am glad you see it the way I do. There are not many fans of the ST in the USA. But, you bring up another important reason for my choice, as I am a bit over 6-4 and the bike does fit like a glove. I removed the spacers from the handlebars and then milled the bases of those to half width, to accommodate a sportier profile for myself. And I feel like the peg position is about as good as it gets for my long legs. I am not trying to be Ricky Racer, or anything. I just like my bikes to run and look as good as they can...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts