Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'00 748s,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a tank for cheap on facebook marketplace to use on my project 748s, came in the mail today and it turns out to be full carbon. from the looks of it it hasn't been used in many years. it is in pretty good shape besides the paint but i want to make sure that i get it sealed and safe if i'm going to use it. can anyone point me in the right direction to help me make sure i don't die in a flaming ball of glory.
P.S.
this tank does not seem to have a vent tube, will that be an issue, should i try to find a way to add one?
also any advise for stripping the paint??
thanks in advance
-m

·
Registered
308 Posts
So you need vented fuel cap
For paint removal sending
Inside good wash with isopropanol alcohol than gentle sandblast with really fine grains and low pressure so that surface is not shiny anymore than seal it with fuel resistan coating intended for coating of composite materials.

You can also sandblast outside surface

·
Registered
308 Posts

Example of resin. But any other is also ok

About flaming ball this really depends of tank construction and lay up sequence.

With this resin you just prevent that tank doesn't leak if it was made from wrong resin

·
Registered
'00 748s,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will try to see what type of cap it has. it seems much larger tan normal. if i can find a good bung i might just drill a vent into it. i like the idea of blasting but am also scared of attempting it, i have some fine glass bead that i might try at very low pressure. thanks on the recommendation on the liner, it looks like it might be similar if not the same as the caswell stuff.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
My opinion is under no circumstances would I blast the interior of a fuel tank with anything except dry ice. You will never get it all out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My opinion is under no circumstances would I blast the interior of a fuel tank with anything except dry ice. You will never get it all out.
Dry ice will not abrade surface and you will not have mechanical bond with epoxy sealent.

Other thing is that composide materials doesn't like low or high degrees celsius.
I don't know how cold material gets when blasting it with dry ice but you can damaged epoxy, polyester resin.

You can blow material from the tank and if in worst case scenario there is something left inside when you pour(coat) inside with resin everything will be glued in place. So no worries for fuel pump,...

·
Registered
129 Posts
i will try to see what type of cap it has. it seems much larger tan normal. if i can find a good bung i might just drill a vent into it. i like the idea of blasting but am also scared of attempting it, i have some fine glass bead that i might try at very low pressure. thanks on the recommendation on the liner, it looks like it might be similar if not the same as the caswell stuff. View attachment 982491
Thats a hatch cover from a boat not meant for use as a fuel cap. You might have to have a larger flange made up to suit a fuel cap.

·
Registered
'00 748s,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a hatch cover from a boat not meant for use as a fuel cap. You might have to have a larger flange made up to suit a fuel cap.
stillrollin
just got that figured out, its a Beckson 203 screw on deck plate, they don't make it anymore but have an equivalent modern part, i would prefer not but it might be really hard to find a replacement in that size, and having one machined will most likely be cost prohibitive. outside flange diameter is 6 1/8" !!!the filler opening is a full 4".
I think i have an old endurance twin fill dry brake around here somewhere maybe i will try to get that fit.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
4" ............ reckon you could fill up in 3 seconds! I second the caswell or such. With a 4 inch hole, maybe hand sand all you can and blow out with compressed air?
(Unless your glove size is "Canned Ham")

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Dry ice when used as an abrasive evaporates almost instantaneously. I seriously doubt the temperature of the tank will reach a level to cause any damage, but you could always blast a little at a time if you actually think it’s a valid concern.
Will it do the job ? You’d have to try it to find out , but it’s the safest blast media to use inside a fuel tank, and it’s cheap and leaves no residue.
The size of that fuel bung makes me think you can get a hand in there to rough it up anyway, or pay a kid to do it.

·
Registered
'00 748s,
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all of the input guys, i think the dry ice blast is a non-started since i don't have the equipment to accomplish it. i did some hand sanding with a electric jitterbug and i think i can get most of the outside by hand, i'm not sure how many paint jobs this has had but its more than a few, unfortunately they were done really well which means they are not coming off easily. I'm gonna play around a little with the inside to see what works best, I think i can knock most everything off with a stiff wire brush and see what to do from there. i think i could even get my rotary tool flexi-pen in there with a flapper if need be. I've got some Max GRE on the way (pretty much the same as the caswell epoxy) so i think i should be looking pretty good here. as for the filler I think i might be able to fab something up here at home for now and maybe fix it later if need be. still need to figure out the vent, maybe a rollover tube? and does any one know where to get a check valve like on the old carb 900ss vent line?
4" ............ reckon you could fill up in 3 seconds! I second the caswell or such. With a 4 inch hole, maybe hand sand all you can and blow out with compressed air?
(Unless your glove size is "Canned Ham")
WileE, you can do it in .25 sec you just need to fill from a bucket.
thanks for all the replies
-m

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well there are instructions in Caswell pages, I would do..and did by those with my own carbonfibre tank. Worked good, been ok for about 5 years now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts