Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Critical systems.

My limited experience has been that rebuild kits are becoming fewer and increasingly far between. Each “new” model weather auto or bike has fewer critical system rebuilds available. As an example, I need to rebuild a wheel cylinder on an 8 year old P/U. I was unable to locate a rebuild kit, pistons and seals and dust covers, but found many complete wheel cylinders. The same condition with break masters. One tech. book that I was looking at didn’t have a section on rebuilding master or wheel cylinders. My thought is that as time passes and the complexity of brake systems increases our ability to perfume break system rebuilds will become less and less. Just my thought, IMHO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Gave it a good test ride this morning, have gone from 3 to 2 turns out on the mixture screws and have a nice colour on the plugs, it's responding well to the throttle.
The brakes also tricked me for a while. It turned out that the calipers are in good condition. The problem is in the lines, they have deteriorated over the years just sitting about. The master cylinder had enough power to apply the pads but we have an internment blockage on the return of fluid causing the pads to stay on a couple of times. New braided hoses being made up for me in the morning. Looks like it will get a proper run this weekend.:D The end of this project is close.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
My limited experience has been that rebuild kits are becoming fewer and increasingly far between. Each “new” model weather auto or bike has fewer critical system rebuilds available. As an example, I need to rebuild a wheel cylinder on an 8 year old P/U. I was unable to locate a rebuild kit, pistons and seals and dust covers, but found many complete wheel cylinders. The same condition with break masters. One tech. book that I was looking at didn’t have a section on rebuilding master or wheel cylinders. My thought is that as time passes and the complexity of brake systems increases our ability to perfume break system rebuilds will become less and less. Just my thought, IMHO.
Yeah, I agree. it's become remove and replace.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I understand the brake seals didn't turn out to be the problem, but for anyone looking for Brembo caliper seals, here's a possibility.

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that the front caliper on my '04 KTM 625SMC is the same Brembo 2-pin 4-pot caliper as my '99 SSie (the rear is definitely different).

The parts fiche at more than one KTM online parts suppliers I checked shows not only the set of 4 seals available separately (~$20), but the replacement pistons show up (~$55) too. If the calipers for the carbie SS are different than the SSie, you'd think there might be cycles other than Ducati which might be using them, and the other manufacturers may be a source to check.

Bryan

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
New braided lines fitted today. Starting with a system full of air it took a long time to get them working. Still a little spongy but rideable, will let it sit over night then bleed them again. It looks like it's job over after a planned ride for Sunday. Will post a ride report.

The Ducati disease must be catching, I mentioned that I ride a new Triumph and a number of older bikes including Norton, BSA and Triumph. Today I received from the states one of these ...
http://www.extremesupply.com/product/Brand-AGV/AGVTITECHAGOSTINI.html
I just may get a bike to go with the new lid.:D

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
New braided lines fitted today. Starting with a system full of air it took a long time to get them working. Still a little spongy but rideable, will let it sit over night then bleed them again. It looks like it's job over after a planned ride for Sunday. Will post a ride report.

The Ducati disease must be catching, I mentioned that I ride a new Triumph and a number of older bikes including Norton, BSA and Triumph. Today I received from the states one of these ...
http://www.extremesupply.com/product/Brand-AGV/AGVTITECHAGOSTINI.html
I just may get a bike to go with the new lid.:D
If there is a bleeder at the master cylinder, then you need to crack it and let the air out there also.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I've had the 750SS out a couple of times now since its resurrection. It will be staying at my place for some time and the owner is actively encouraging me to ride it at will. He hasn’t ridden for the 12 years it’s been in storage and he’s happy for me to be the test crash dummy. I’ve never ridden one of these any long distance before and only have about 150km on it now so I may change my ideas but at this time I think …
In traffic it’s not very good, very snatchy when the throttle is closed.
Out of traffic, WOW, love it to bits, it just wants to rev harder and harder and with the std gearing that means going real fast. The brakes are well up to it and it is so light it handles like a real race bike.
I don’t think it is a bike for a townie unless you also have a town bike but so far that’s my only negative comment.

Photo was taken this morning in the Royal National Park just south of Sydney. Being midwinter and still on 13 year old tyres I had to force myself to only run at about 50% of our combined capabilities. Now it’s going to be less on the computer and out on the bikes instead.

·
Banned
2,952 Posts
In traffic it’s not very good, very snatchy when the throttle is closed.
wait until you try one of the bigger 900 or 1000cc supersport engines,
the SS750 feels super smooth compared to them.
the secret is to use the clutch a lot, in town, whenever i get off the gas
at lower revs below let's say ~4500, i pull the clutch simultaneously.

Out of traffic, WOW, love it to bits, it just wants to rev harder and harder and with the std gearing that means going real fast. The brakes are well up to it and it is so light it handles like a real race bike.
sounds like a love affair. :cool:

nice pic. :)

all the best with the bike then, get your friend to buy some new tyres
as a reward for the fix-up.
for more intoxication, get a test ride on a SS900 i.e., you will buy that
one instantly then.

cheers. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Very nice pic. I love the look of the yellow full-fairing carbie's. If only they had incorporated a round headlight... :D :p

For the low speed snatchy throttle, one thing you might try is to put a 1-tooth smaller sprocket up front, or go up about 3 teeth on the rear sprocket (might require a new chain :confused: ). I went 1 tooth smaller in front and it made a difference on the perceived smoothness around town for me (unfortunately there's traffic any direction that I head out from home :mad: so slow riding is unavoidable). Easier on the clutch taking off from a stop too. Theoretically, you'd lose a few mph/kph at the top end, but I'll never know the difference on mine.

Bryan

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
wait until you try one of the bigger 900 or 1000cc supersport engines,
the SS750 feels super smooth compared to them.
the secret is to use the clutch a lot, in town, whenever i get off the gas
at lower revs below let's say ~4500, i pull the clutch simultaneously.

sounds like a love affair. :cool:

nice pic. :)

all the best with the bike then, get your friend to buy some new tyres
as a reward for the fix-up.
for more intoxication, get a test ride on a SS900 i.e., you will buy that
one instantly then.

cheers. :)
I will try a few different new Ducatis soon, I'm surprised that you say the big ones are more snatchy. Back in the 70's I raced a 750 Green Frame and rode lots of 900 SS's, the 900's were smoother and easier to ride.
I picked up early on using the clutch when behind slow moving cars.
Thanks to all for the suggestions over the last couple of months.

PS The new Ducati that has taken my eye is the Street Fighter, I like the riding position, but I am having trouble with the true $ value compared with my Triumph Street Triple, sure it's only a 675 but $14k against $32k.:eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Very nice pic. I love the look of the yellow full-fairing carbie's. If only they had incorporated a round headlight... :D :p

For the low speed snatchy throttle, one thing you might try is to put a 1-tooth smaller sprocket up front, or go up about 3 teeth on the rear sprocket (might require a new chain :confused: ). I went 1 tooth smaller in front and it made a difference on the perceived smoothness around town for me (unfortunately there's traffic any direction that I head out from home :mad: so slow riding is unavoidable). Easier on the clutch taking off from a stop too. Theoretically, you'd lose a few mph/kph at the top end, but I'll never know the difference on mine.

Bryan
I agree that gearing it down may help to smooth it out a little and was only discussing this earlier today with the owner, at the end of the day it's his call, he may only use it on out of town work. We live on a narrow coastal strip with the Pacific on our east and a small mountain and the countryside to our west and south, so it's easy to keep out of traffic.
Cheers, Kevin.

·
Banned
2,952 Posts
Now it’s going to be less on the computer and out on the bikes instead.
a good idea, i took a good 300 Km spin on the 750S3 yesterday, great pic in the
evening sun, usual place.

:)

I'm surprised that you say the big ones are more snatchy. Back in the 70's I raced a 750 Green Frame and rode lots of 900 SS's, the 900's were smoother and easier to ride.
Thanks to all for the suggestions over the last couple of months.
this is what i remember from my only 750cc experience from a 25Km
testride on a friends bike while i had the SS900 i.e., some 3 years ago.
the 750 i.e. felt soft, no harsh engine breaking as with the 900, i always
thought the smaller engine components play a part into that.
This might get lost with a race 750 with fewer rotating mass and more
compression.

i would love to see some pics from the past, get them scanned in if
you have the ability.

you were very welcome, but i have the feeling you did the most by
yourself, glad that you found the mistake with the emulsion tube.

PS The new Ducati that has taken my eye is the Street Fighter, I like the riding position, but I am having trouble with the true $ value compared with my Triumph Street Triple, sure it's only a 675 but $14k against $32k.:eek:
the streetfighter is great, and i am coming to the point where i do like
this position too, but as you said, true $ value is always of concern.

all the best. :)

101 - 114 of 114 Posts