Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
2,952 Posts
yeah - get the carb bodies into an ultra sonic device is an essential i'd say.

Tanks clean best with a concrete tumbler, you wrap them into protective
clothes and have them attached inside the tumbler, fill in some sharp stuff
like wood screws into the tank at first, and rotate for some hours then.

i did that it the past, it works great, get some phosphoric acid and some
tank sealer then and everything will be fine.

yeah i wouldn't mess with that fuel pump either.

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
After my last post I took the 1st filter off the inlet side and noticed you can see into the pump through a quadrant, I used a probe to rotate the internals, after a few revolutions and pumping a lot of WD40 into it, it became freer. At first with 12v and not turning it was pulling 2 amps, now it runs well and pulls 0.3amps. My mate that owns the bike came around and checked out the situation, he said depending on how it runs over numerous tests in the next few days he will get me to reinstall it or spend the $200 for a new one, his call. We are going to use a pressure blaster to give the tank an initial clean, then see what we have to work with. Watch this space :) lookin good.

·
Banned
2,952 Posts
$200 for a new one
there are cheaper solutions at hand, check out california cycle works
in example, some car pumps do work also, but i have no idea which.

the pressure blaster will get you nowhere, some hot water and soap
in the kitchen sink will work as fine. You'll need that concrete tumbler,
they work miracles, i had one in my living room for ages.

:think: ;)

·
Excel Addict
5,079 Posts
there are cheaper solutions at hand, check out california cycle works
in example, some car pumps do work also, but i have no idea which.

the pressure blaster will get you nowhere, some hot water and soap
in the kitchen sink will work as fine. You'll need that concrete tumbler,
they work miracles, i had one in my living room for ages.

:think: ;)
I agree with Muschi and other posts.

There is some very serious crap inside that tank.

I had to do a similar thing to BSA tank I had. Rotating like Muschi advised with a bunch of screws inside to abrade the crap should work.

I would also advise against being tempted to coat over the crap with something like POR15 - it will bite someone someday.

Do you ever think - damn, I wish i hadn't said I will get it going for you?

I know we all want to do things ourselves, but maybe consider taking the tank to an "expert" who will have chemicals, equipment and experience in this matter.

·
Banned
2,952 Posts
with the issues the sport classic guys got with the etanol and their expanding
abs plastic tanks, and from own experience, i do know that there are some
very nice tank sealing kits for the do it yourself guy around. Nothing like the
white cream stuff or Por 15, that is true, but some nice 2K epoxy sealant will
work for sure. Preparation is the key, get the cement tumbler and some phos-
phoric acid, the good sealants are not cheap though.

cheers :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ten minutes of this …

And I finished up with this …

Now time for a swim, early winter, east coast Australia, not too bad.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
those two got to be the pics of the week - congrats on the result.
Thanks, I will work on it a little more, the remaining brown isn't rust, it's that varnish like stuff. I didn't know my wife took that first shot until I downloaded the clean tank photo. I included it to give an idea of how easy it turned out. Now my 60 year old fat gut is on the net:eek: I may start collecting 60 year old female stalkers:D

·
Banned
2,952 Posts
so the zinc on the inside is all intact and there is no rust at all ? - wow.

i bet that there aren't too many 60 year female stalkers around here,
but you never know.

:think:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi Otherwise
By the look of the photos i take it your based around se qld(guess)
Ducati Goldcoast are great to deal with. Speak with Myles he is the owner. I got a new sender for mine was roughly $200. Ducati Brisvegas was $300ish. With the pump I got mine from a local efi speciliast for $70 is the same pump used in Volvo. My sender fell apart too best money spent if he is going to ride it Melbourne

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A short update on returning the 750SS to the road.
I have taken careful note of all comments, and thanks, please keep them coming. Because time isn’t an issue I have tried to do things my way knowing that in most cases I am bound to fail and then take the good advice given by you blokes. The result so far is I got away with my short cut cleaning the tank and also resurrected the fuel pump. New battery, oil and filter, fuel filters both sides of the pump and put it all back together. It runs, but unfortunately you blokes are correct, it isn’t running cleanly and without doubt has to have the carbs taken off and professionally cleaned. That’s a job for next week, will report back and probably have a question or two.

·
Registered
431 Posts
dont forget to do a belt change as well would be very perished
tyres are going to need a change as well

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Owner was instructed to get new belts to me before this weekend, he's also bringing a fresh container of brake/clutch fluid.
Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any man not afraid to show up on this forum in only his speedo wielding a pressure washer demands our admiration. :D

Kaput

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Had a couple of hours spare today so pulled the air box and carbs off. Oh dear, sitting for 11 years, this is what to expect.

·
Registered
431 Posts
and he wants to take this to phillip island :eek:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mr Otherwise, mate your doing a top job. Wish I had mates like you :thumbsup:

I've just taken delivery of my first Duc, a "92 900SS out of Japan. It has been sitting for a long time too, and I suspect from a quick look inside the petrol tank that I will be doing what you are with the tank and carbs etc. I will be looking back at this post for sure at your nice big clear pictures for info.

Keep us posted how you go with the project. I for one am very interested.

Best regards,
Andrew.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mr Otherwise, mate your doing a top job. Wish I had mates like you :thumbsup:

I've just taken delivery of my first Duc, a "92 900SS out of Japan. It has been sitting for a long time too, and I suspect from a quick look inside the petrol tank that I will be doing what you are with the tank and carbs etc. I will be looking back at this post for sure at your nice big clear pictures for info.

Keep us posted how you go with the project. I for one am very interested.

Best regards,
Andrew.
No problem, will do. The beauty of this type of forum is the great people willing to help me, and in turn if I can help you, that's a bonus. Win win!
Cheers,
Kevin.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wow that tank turned out great!
I cement tumbled + epoxy coated my 999's tank and I figured you'd have to do something similar.
Good to hear that it wasn't rust but just varnish in the tank.

Carbs need a cleaning but look pretty good imo.
Be careful not to snap those brass bolts.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

wow, looks better than I thought it would... If your going to clen then yourself you will need to get about 5-6 cans carb cleaner... and get a compressor, you will need the compressed air to blow out all passages. Get a plastic and a fine bass brush. Use only the plastic brush on the floats. You will need to flip the carbs an pull out the diaphrams. Once out you will need to remove the needle tubes (the main jets screw into them) and pilot jets. spray some carb cleaner into a cap (plastic cap from the can) and toss the jets in it and let the soak a bit. Remove blow out the crap.... soak some more.... till you get all the crapp out. Do not be tempted to use a drill bit to clean the jets... this may damage them.
Good luck,

Gray:think:

21 - 40 of 114 Posts