1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was hoping he’d pick that one, but I mean realistically we’re talking decades and decades of technological advances in motorcycles. Even though the engine may not be as inspiring, brakes and suspension alone have come a long way and pair those with modern rubber. It just makes it all too easy to ride and it’s why Valentino Rossi and other old school racers have something to say about racing now with traction control, abs, and the like.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am fortunate to own both a bevel Duc and a S1K. And as Mr. Smart states, the modern bike is far better as a motorcycle than the vintage bevel if you only check the stats, but I'd be hard pressed to choose my favorite. They are very different but both are great fun to ride. They weigh about the same but the S1K has probably 20-25 more HP. My bevel starts first kick pretty much every time. I think you could probably push the kicker with your hand and start it because it's so easy to swing through. It makes chunky street useable torque everywhere in the power band and engine feels very relaxed when you ride. It corners impeccably but it is slow to change lines because of the long wheelbase. And I love the right foot first gear up shift pattern since it confuses modern riders. The S1K engine revs faster and the modern 4P4P calipers I have installed have considerably more stopping power than the bevel, but in the real world the bevel is a very good motorcycle especially considering it's 46 years old. The bevel is relaxed and the DS1000 is considerable more frenetic, but it's nice to be able to ride and compare the first and just about last of the classic air cooled 2 valve Ducs. They are both great engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am fortunate to own both a bevel Duc and a S1K. And as Mr. Smart states, the modern bike is far better as a motorcycle than the vintage bevel if you only check the stats, but I'd be hard pressed to choose my favorite. They are very different but both are great fun to ride. They weigh about the same but the S1K has probably 20-25 more HP. My bevel starts first kick pretty much every time. I think you could probably push the kicker with your hand and start it because it's so easy to swing through. It makes chunky street useable torque everywhere in the power band and engine feels very relaxed when you ride. It corners impeccably but it is slow to change lines because of the long wheelbase. And I love the right foot first gear up shift pattern since it confuses modern riders. The S1K engine revs faster and the modern 4P4P calipers I have installed have considerably more stopping power than the bevel, but in the real world the bevel is a very good motorcycle especially considering it's 46 years old. The bevel is relaxed and the DS1000 is considerable more frenetic, but it's nice to be able to ride and compare the first and just about last of the classic air cooled 2 valve Ducs. They are both great engines.
Good lookin duo!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Thanks for posting that, very good to read.

I too own a bevel (900S2) and a GT1000, but it is the bevels that grab me. I've had numerous belt Ducatis and sold every one (except the GT) because I can't get on with the snatchy transmission; the bevels just pull in any gear and at any revs, although they do not rev like the belt engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts