Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying this modified 1974 Ducati to race in the Bears class. It was owned by John Britten, the guy who hand built bikes that eventually thrashed the best Ducatis in the mid 90's. So, he said his Ducati bike frame and engine were so unreliable he knew he could do better. Once I read that I canned the idea but the seat and pipe work are outstanding and I'm hoping to do something similar with the GT especially once the header pipe potential is documented.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was thinking of buying this modified 1974 Ducati to race in the Bears class. It was owned by John Britten, the guy who hand built bikes that eventually thrashed the best Ducatis in the mid 90's. So, he said his Ducati bike frame and engine were so unreliable he knew he could do better. Once I read that I canned the idea but the seat and pipe work are outstanding and I'm hoping to do something similar with the GT especially once the header pipe potential is documented.
Yep...stay posted on the seat and cowl side of things...I have stripped my spare comfort seat and am giving my bike and stripped seat to a guy that makes fiberglass replica solo seats. I am going to make the seat as thin as possible....mind you our bikes have big hips. I have a sport tank fitted to my GT...so maybe I should get him to make two "templates" ...one to suit the GT tank and one to suit the Sport. Cheers Roger

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
In light of the square cases, it's a 1975-or-newer bike. To answer Spyvito's question, yes it's a bevel drive.

Nice looking bike - too bad you decided not to proceed with the buy. Vee-Two in Australia makes nice bevel parts that would be a real help in getting the project off the ground.

If anyone is interested in replicating the upswept pipes, there's a company in Japan (Feluca?) that makes a nice set of upswept pipes, though they are expensive in light of the strong yen right now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine is an early 80's 900ss twin spark. The sound is angry classic Ducati.
The price $US11,400 finally did me in, couldn't afford it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts