Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was reading another thread, the question dawned on me, will a 91-98 SS motor bolt right into an old, say 89, 750 Sport frame?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can't say with absolute certainty but I'm pretty sure it will . My track bike is a 90 750 sport frame with a 99 750 monster engine . Here are a few things I can tell you . Obviously there are a few minor differences in the frames . The Sport frame has a cross tube between the top 2 frame rails behind the steering head . That means a standard SS airbox won't fit . That problem could be solved by running pod filters on the carbs . It also means the frame is less likely to crack in the frame tube/steering head area . In fact , whem I had the frame cracks fixed on my 96 Street 900 SS/SP , I ad my welder/fabricator put a brace on it similar to the one on the sport chassis . Time and miles will tell if it solved that problem .

Also , the later model 2 valve engines use a smaller diameter swingarm spindle than the older sport engines , so when I put the later model engine in my sport chassis I had to source an SS swingarm and spindle .

Hope this helps

Ron

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also , the later model 2 valve engines use a smaller diameter swingarm spindle than the older sport engines , so when I put the later model engine in my sport chassis I had to source an SS swingarm and spindle .

Hope this helps

Ron
Every little bit of info helps!

So, can I assume that if I already have the motor, swingarm and spindle, then everything else lines up and bolts on?

Much appreciated! Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
900 engine in 1990 Sport frame

8/10/12

I have a 1990 Sport and was planning on making that engine change myself..

It's actually rather easy..in fact there are spacers in place on the Sport frame that would lead one to believe Ducati anticipated doing just this.

On another site there is a detailed step by step explanation how to make the change...and I could locate it for you if you'd like...

Remember though that the Sport ran with 16" wheels f+r...and good 16" tires (r) are no longer made (at least they were not last time I checked...so wheel changes might be considered as well.

Anyway, if you'd like "directions" let me know...

I believe it was a "Paso" site

Jeff

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8/10/12

I have a 1990 Sport and was planning on making that engine change myself..

It's actually rather easy..in fact there are spacers in place on the Sport frame that would lead one to believe Ducati anticipated doing just this.

On another site there is a detailed step by step explanation how to make the change...and I could locate it for you if you'd like...

Remember though that the Sport ran with 16" wheels f+r...and good 16" tires (r) are no longer made (at least they were not last time I checked...so wheel changes might be considered as well.

Anyway, if you'd like "directions" let me know...

I believe it was a "Paso" site

Jeff
Jeff, I just became a member on that site. Very informative over there too. You mentioned tires and ironically, a company called Goldentyre just started producing those 16" tires in the correct size for those old Ducs. Pretty big of them too, in my book. Seeing as those sized wheels haven't been produced in over 20 years!

True motorcycle enthusiasts, if you ask me!

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts